Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Transmission ID & servicing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great that you got it all done.
With the transmission, the manual says that the fluid needs to be up to proper temp before topping off. If you didn’t do this, per the book, I would check the level after it is warmed up. Also, using 6l or slightly less for the trans drain and refill is common.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I used a VAG scanner to monitor the transmission temp for filling. All was in spec, I just expected another liter as that is what I've most commonly read. I may check it again in a few days once the memory of yesterday fades a bit...
Old 04-28-2024, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 400orbust
Thanks. I used a VAG scanner to monitor the transmission temp for filling. All was in spec, I just expected another liter as that is what I've most commonly read. I may check it again in a few days once the memory of yesterday fades a bit...
I give you lots of credit. I would probably have taken 2 days to finish the work and I too would have had to use jackstands. That was the main reason I decided not to try the transmission, given that the X-brace and tranny mounts needed to be removed. I just could not see doing that work on my back (at 60 years old). A lift would make a huge difference in both time and effort. If I do ever decide to tackle the transmission, I plan to ask a buddy for some "lift time" at his home shop.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

After, getting over the soreness of rolling around on my shop floor...if I had to do it again I think I could do the transmission and center diff pretty quickly. The first time around on projects like this, especially where the opportunity to screw up is higher, is always a bit daunting but after doing it once I feel like it is only an hour job (just for those two items, not including time to get car lifted/secured and cleanup). Stash, on the off chance you happen to be local to me (SW Washington) and you have ALL the stuff ready to go I'll offer to come give you a hand.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

After, getting over the soreness of rolling around on my shop floor...if I had to do it again I think I could do the transmission and center diff pretty quickly. The first time around on projects like this, especially where the opportunity to screw up is higher, is always a bit daunting but after doing it once I feel like it is only an hour job (just for those two items, not including time to get car lifted/secured and cleanup). Stash, on the off chance you happen to be local to me (SW Washington) and you have ALL the stuff ready to go I'll offer to come give you a hand.
I live in Wisconsin, but thanks for the offer! I feel the same as you when trying a new install/service for the first time. There is always a bit of "fear factor" and that is why I will try to set aside a whole week where I don't need to use my car and I can take my time. I actually did install an ECS X-brace recently and wish I had thought to service the front and center differential at that time. The install was fairly easy even with the car on 4 jackstands. The only real challenge was trying to finish the torque to yield on the 6 bolts, lying on my back. I got about 2/3 the way on each bolt and was struggling to get additional leverage and just left it there.
Do you think it would be at all possible to service the center diff without removing the X-brace?
Old 05-01-2024, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

... Stash, on the off chance you happen to be local to me (SW Washington) and you have ALL the stuff ready to go I'll offer to come give you a hand.
Hey there! I'm in North Portland and want to do this job in the near future. Would you mind terribly if I enlisted your help?
Old 05-01-2024, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Stash...no, unfortunately, I don't think you can service the center diff without removing both the X-brace & the transmission support member underneath it. Perhaps there is a way but it may be more difficult than removing/reinstalling those.

elRayRay...I made the offer to Stash as he provided input leading up to my deciding to do it and I have lots of my own projects to keep me busy. However, I'm generally happy to help out fellow DIY'ers so perhaps if we can find a time that works I can see about helping you but I'm not going to do all the work for you (I'm pretty savvy with cars but not a trained mechanic/not going to shoulder that responsibility).
Old 05-01-2024, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Are you not able to access the plugs 2 and 3 (https://ibb.co/5GpJxmv) by default? I could see the transmission support brace maybe being in the way, but don't see how the x-brace comes rearward enough to be an issue. The workshop manual does not refer to the need to do any prep work other than the normal environmental conditions (level, "room temp", fill it over the course of 5 minutes).
Old 05-01-2024, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Are you not able to access the plugs 2 and 3 (https://ibb.co/5GpJxmv) by default? I could see the transmission support brace maybe being in the way, but don't see how the x-brace comes rearward enough to be an issue. The workshop manual does not refer to the need to do any prep work other than the normal environmental conditions (level, "room temp", fill it over the course of 5 minutes).
I will definitely get under the car and take a good look before doing anything. The ECS Tuning X-brace could make it more or less difficult. I would not hesitate to remove and re-install the X-brace (with new hardware) but I am not sure I would go ahead with the center diff service if I also need to remove the transmission mount.

Update:
I found a couple of videos by the same Youtuber that are helpful. It is for a 3.0T but I believe it is the same ZF 8-speed as used with the 2.0T. You are correct, SMac, that the X-brace does not get in the way of accessing the center differential but removing it would make it easier to service the front differential. After watching the first video of the transmission service, removing the transmission mount is not too intimidating. And it is not necessary to remove the isolator portion of the mount to get at the center differential. If I do go ahead with the center differential service, I may just change out the isolator/bushing anyway and of course all the hardware. I expect the worst part again will be trying to torque the bolts to yield from my backside. The second video shows the front and center diff service. Both videos are very good quality.

Last edited by stash64; 05-02-2024 at 11:24 AM.