Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 underseat (small) storage box addition/mod; factory parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Q5 underseat (small) storage box addition/mod; factory parts

Borrowing an idea from an A5 board, I installed the underseat storage boxes for both the front driver and passenger sides. Apparently these are an option in Europe, but nonetheless can be gotten here (dealers, ECS, etc) because they cross over to A5's, A6's, etc.

The boxes don't add a lot of space--think folding umbrella, pencil cases, some old fashioned paper maps, maybe a woman's soft make up kit in a longer zip bag, etc.--but are better than nothing. The Q5 has much less accessible storage space than either my A8 or A6, nor the nicer hidden door pockets Audi cost reduced out with the C6 and D4 generations starting about ten years back. You don't see it much unless you stick your head under there to clean, but it is also (un) finished under there more like Toyota's I have owned than Audi's. The boxes help clean up that look by covering over the wiring, motors, etc. and tie in well to the look of the movable front lower bolster on the sports seats and the whole look of the seat base. See pics below.

Part #'s if interested are:
  • Boxes (2): 8K0 882 601C 4PK. The last three digits are the color code, and will vary with other interior colors like beige. I think the "C" model is for power seats (edited in from later questions and my other replies). Mine is chestnut, with basically black trim plastics and carpting.
  • Speed nuts (4 total, 2 per side): N 900 880 03. These just clip right into existing punch outs on the underside of the lower seat frame. No modding, drilling or cutting is needed.
  • Torx screws (4 total, 2 per side): N 907 371-05.
To do it, seats really have to get unbolted from the floor. That's easy, just undoing the 4 triple square bolts you can see at front and rear of tracks. Then you just tilt seat backward while still in its general place for decent access but without unplugging any wiring connectors. I tried to do it w/out removing seat from the floor at first, but it is virtually impossible to get the screws to go into the speed nuts without looking at them from various angles, plus the clearance is too restricted. The A5 posts talk about maybe having to reroute some wiring under the seat slightly, but I found beyond just a bit of finger pressure, they fit as is. The alignment is more fiddling than you might guess and the angles make it a bit of a challenge, but eventually it goes. It helps to have a punch or small bladed implement to help align the screw holes with the speed clip behind the plastic box before trying to insert the screws. The tolerance is only a mm or two, but the manufacturing isn't really that precise. Be careful when getting the speed clips pushed on to the seat base metal frame--you can lose them inside the punch out where you start to insert them and then they drop down in between the metal seat pan and the padding. Ask me how I know when I did the second one--I fished it out with a little magnet attached to some thin electrical tape as a pull.

It took about 45 minutes per side once I got the hang of it...plus the chance to vacuum under there better. Pictures are from (U.S.) passenger side, one closed one open. After I took them, I got the alignment a little better near the outer seat edge. The driver's side looks identical.
Attached Images   

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-29-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We have kits with hardware available below. These are for B8 but if you got this to work in your Q5 the part numbers are the same.

Click HERE to order or for more information

Jason
Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, nice addition.
I always thought that the underseat storage wasn't an option on powered seats.

In my A3, I have the storage compartment only on my passenger side which is manual.

Can you check to see if there are any clearance issues when adjusting the seat all the way down closest to the floor?

If there aren't any, i'll order some up.

TIA
Old 10-28-2013, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Works fine in all positions as far as I know.

I always put the seat all the way down and pretty far back. My wife likes it way up and pretty far forward, so it has moved around a lot already. I did the driver's side first to be sure it fit, so it has been in there about ten days now. The seats are Audi parts bin of course, but the higher SUV type seating is probably giving it an advantage clearance wise too.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's pretty sweet. I have to admit, there have been many times when I wish we had door flaps. Honestly, with them open like they are, they are pretty useless. After all, what kinda car guy/girl want's junk visible in their perfectly detailed car!?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will that box hold a Glock 17?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I like it. Looks very stock. I had the bins in my A3 and miss them. I have no good place for my micro-fiber wipe down rags now.

Do we ever do group purchases ?

Trending Topics

Old 10-28-2013, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had them on my B7. Very handy. Do these work on power seats? I remember seeing somewhere they were only for manual seats.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
I had them on my B7. Very handy. Do these work on power seats? I remember seeing somewhere they were only for manual seats.
MP4.2+6.0's seats are definitely power. I am assuming that because of the higher seat position on the Q these work despite the seats being power.

Correct me if I am wrong. About to pull the trigger on a pair.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, power seats work with them

Both of mine are powered. The Q5 seats are higher off the floor than A4/5/6's sedan/coupe type designs where the seats and boxes start from, so there should be more clearance anyway. The bottom edge of the storage cubby is the same as the bottom edge of the side trim of the seat, and that's a good inch off the floor. I see the seat area itself is on a platform of sorts from the underbody (perhaps how they raised it), so it clears the front mats or junk on the floor by even more space.

In any case, I did the test install and all fits fine. Part # was from Euro EKTA for Q5's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-28-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Q5 underseat (small) storage box addition/mod; factory parts