Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 vs MDX vs RDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 vs MDX vs RDX

Hey Everyone,

I just recently started looking at the Q5, and was wondering how you guys/gals think of it? Did any of you compared the Q5 to the Acura MDX and RDX?

I was thinking of the B8 A4, but then I started thinking about hauling my kid's stuff, going biking, going to the mountains, etc... So I'm thinking of a SUV, even though my wife already has an RX.

How is the comfort in terms of comfort, everyday drive-ability, cargo space, and visibility? I gather there are the traditional rear view blindspots like in most SUVs?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I currently have 6 months left on my RDX. I would not buy it again. Have test driven the Q5 and was blown away. The only downside is the price.

The RDX engine is harsh. The car really scoots, but the turbo lag is very noticeable and annoying, the level of luxury is non-existent (compared to the Q5) and to top it all off, it gets horrible gas mileage (I'm averaging 16 mpg).

Needless to say, can't wait for my lease to be up. Definitely switching to the Q5.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack Bauer
I currently have 6 months left on my RDX. I would not buy it again. Have test driven the Q5 and was blown away. The only downside is the price.

The RDX engine is harsh. The car really scoots, but the turbo lag is very noticeable and annoying, the level of luxury is non-existent (compared to the Q5) and to top it all off, it gets horrible gas mileage (I'm averaging 16 mpg).

Needless to say, can't wait for my lease to be up. Definitely switching to the Q5.
16mpg for a 4 cylinder? Sorry to hear, sounds frustrating. I like the concept of the RDX, but it seems rough around the edges.

People have said the RDX is very stiff/harsh. Do you feel that way as well? Have you thought about the MDX?

I plan on taking a visit to the dealership to look at the Q5. The reviews I've seen have been excellent. I wonder though, about the Q5's reliability, given it's a 1st year Audi model...
Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had looked over both '09 MDX as well as the '10 RDX (as well as Q45 and Q35) bofore settling on my Q5.

I had an 89 Acura Legend and I just traded in my 03 MDX for a Q5. Both my Legend and MDX had transmission problems but both had high mileage, about 150K. Everyone talks about Honda's great engines and no one talks about their crappy transmissions. In fact, one story floating around is that the '10 MDX is delayed in order to fix a problem with their new 6 speed tranny.

Since the Acura dealership really wanted to keep me, they were trying to entire me with an 09 MDX and the 2010 RDX. With the Q5, there is no comparison -- it's head and shoulders better. The AMI interface for IPod is amazing though I think the 2010 MDX will probably have something similar. '09 MDX has only an auxilary jack. There is definitely more trunck space on the MDX and it has 3rd row seats which is not important to us since we're recent empty nesters. The Q5 has better acceleration, rides more quietly, seats are more comfortable, more fun to drive and handles better, more confident at higher speeds (my other car is a 911 so I'm familiar with well behave high speed driving) and just feels more put together than the MDX or RDX. The RDX feels plastic and more like a dressed up Honda Accord. The other thing we were concerned about with the RDX is that even it's a turbo, it's still a 4 cyclinder so when we are loaded up trying to climb a hill, the full 6 cyclinder will just have more juice. I also thought the MDX Navi was unbeatable until I used the one in the Q5. The 3D images are great and so far I've not had any missing POI problems. As far as I can tell, the voice command prompts are just as good as the one in the MDX.

In sum, I don't trust Acura's trannys anymore and I'm so glad I switched to the Q5. Now I still don't know about the Q5's tranny nor about it's engine for that matter since I've never owned Audis before but so far, from the test drives of the Acuras, I much prefer the Q5.

Dan
Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I seriously considered an MDX before buying my Q5. On paper, it has all the features and I really liked the shape - but in the end - I felt uninspired. Part of the problem was that I felt it was too sluggish. I was coming from a B6 1.8T, and I just didn't feel that I wanted to settle for something that had less oomph than what I consider a pretty slow sedan. It actually made me start looking at sedans again and throw out the idea of a bigger car altogether. When I drove the Q5 again, it felt 'just right'. It's still enough of a drivers car plus it has the utility I needed. What you get in the MDX: more room, and the option for a rear video screen. What you get in the Q5: better driving experience, faster, much tidier and less plasticky interior, more current technology, and overall refinement.

Don't get me wrong - the MDX is a great ride and you can get yourself in one for less than a comparably equipped Q5. That's a lot of car, and it's consistently reviewed well. Bu to me the Q5 just felt right. The MDX is also bigger and is less fuel efficient. That means you have the option to fit more people in - but I have a small family and 90% of the time, I'm on my own.

One last thing that I hated about the MDX - the thin steering wheel (maybe a bit strong - but seriously - it sucks).
Old 10-01-2009, 11:31 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Perhaps the report I wrote on my car would be helpful in your decision. Good luck with your quest, but if you've test driven a Q5, read the reviews and considered all it's positive aspects, it's unlikely you'd select any other vehicle! (BTW It's worth the price tag)
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2762487
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docboy
Hey Everyone,

I just recently started looking at the Q5, and was wondering how you guys/gals think of it? Did any of you compared the Q5 to the Acura MDX and RDX?

I was thinking of the B8 A4, but then I started thinking about hauling my kid's stuff, going biking, going to the mountains, etc... So I'm thinking of a SUV, even though my wife already has an RX.

How is the comfort in terms of comfort, everyday drive-ability, cargo space, and visibility? I gather there are the traditional rear view blindspots like in most SUVs?

Thanks!
Read this post - maybe it's give you idea for your next vacation.
as a '04 MDX owner - the are no way I will back to Acura again. Car has 67K miles and in the last 4 month cost me > $1350 in repair.
And I'm not alone - read here

Last edited by TIME89; 10-01-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM
kjf
AudiWorld Member

docboy,

I had an '02 MDX that I quite like and was sorry to see go. Most recently, I've been driving a GMC Acadia (provided by my employer). It's time to trade the Acadia, and I've been trying to decide what to get next (which will again be a company vehicle). I've been looking at an MDX and a Q5, and have been struggling with the decision.

My thoughts after several test drives:

Q5

Pros: It drives really nicely, better than any SUV I've ever driven. It's just plain fun to drive. Great engine, plenty of power, nice exhaust note, and smooth transmission. The driver's seat is very comfortable, and the controls just feel right.

Cons: A little small. The second row really only seats two. Not a lot of cargo space wihthout putting down the rear seats. Cost. My budget is around $40K. If I get a Q5, I'll have to get a Premium, or push my boss to raise the budget to cover a Premium Plus. Navi is out of the question. I worry a little about the panoramic sunroof and heat problems in the summer. The Acadia has two large sunroofs with a similar fabric cover, and the vehicle gets very hot sitting in the sun.

MDX

Pros: Big upgrade from my '02. Many more features, but feels familiar. My wife felt quite at home in it. Quite a bit larger (wider and longer), without being too big. (The Acadia feels big and bulky.) More shoulder room. More storage up front. Second row easily accomodates three. More cargo space. Drives nicely. Decent power. For the same dollar, seems to give more features (at least on paper), particularly if you're willing to get one of the remaining '09s. The dealers around here have quite a few in stock and are discounting heavily.

Cons: Not as refined as the Q5. Not as quiet. Not as much power starting out. Heavier. Just doesn't have the same "feel."

Trying to analyze it, my heart says to go for the Q5, while my head says get an '09 MDX. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Q5.

Let us know what you decide.

Kelly
Old 10-01-2009, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

^

Kelly,

I'm having the TOUGHEST time deciding what to do as well. My wife has her Lexus RX she loves. Lots of room for the child, and good performance on the snow.

I originally traded by beloved TSX for an IS250 AWD (looking for an AWD vehicle for the winter); big financial mistake as the IS is just TOO small, uncomfortable with narrow footwells causing my right leg/hip/knee to hurt, and is literally painful to drive. Realizing I'll be taking a financial hit, I looked at all of the AWD sedans out there again, and narrowed it down to the TL-AWD 6spd and the 2010 A4 2.0T quattro. I initially "settled" for the auto IS, but I really am eager to try to get a manual transmission; hence the TL and A4.

I was (and am currently still) stuck between the TL and A4; I'm not entirely sold on the TL b/c of the weird exterior design, and a small trunk with no folding back seats. The A4 is nice, but I'm not sure about passenger side comfort (narrow footwell on the passenger side), and a few have stated that the A4's driving position can be a little abnormal; plus to be honest, I'm too sure about Audi's reliability, esp after the warranty is over.

So then I thought about getting a SUV (and a separate "beater" stick shift car for fun). That's when I came to think about the MDX, RDX, and started reading about the Q5. Many say the Q5 is as close to as being a sports sedan in a SUV as you can.

I'm eager to test drive the Q5, but as you state, it can be really pricey. Looks like it'll be a TOUGH decision.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
^

Kelly,

I'm having the TOUGHEST time deciding what to do as well. My wife has her Lexus RX she loves. Lots of room for the child, and good performance on the snow.

I originally traded by beloved TSX for an IS250 AWD (looking for an AWD vehicle for the winter); big financial mistake as the IS is just TOO small, uncomfortable with narrow footwells causing my right leg/hip/knee to hurt, and is literally painful to drive. Realizing I'll be taking a financial hit, I looked at all of the AWD sedans out there again, and narrowed it down to the TL-AWD 6spd and the 2010 A4 2.0T quattro. I initially "settled" for the auto IS, but I really am eager to try to get a manual transmission; hence the TL and A4.

I was (and am currently still) stuck between the TL and A4; I'm not entirely sold on the TL b/c of the weird exterior design, and a small trunk with no folding back seats. The A4 is nice, but I'm not sure about passenger side comfort (narrow footwell on the passenger side), and a few have stated that the A4's driving position can be a little abnormal; plus to be honest, I'm too sure about Audi's reliability, esp after the warranty is over.

So then I thought about getting a SUV (and a separate "beater" stick shift car for fun). That's when I came to think about the MDX, RDX, and started reading about the Q5. Many say the Q5 is as close to as being a sports sedan in a SUV as you can.

I'm eager to test drive the Q5, but as you state, it can be really pricey. Looks like it'll be a TOUGH decision.
What ever you do, dont get the new TL, that thing is as ugly as sin The MDX and RDX is cheaply build compare to the Q5. Acura have some of the thinnest sheet metal in the industry. I had a MDX and my sister have a RDX. The MDX drives way to big to be sporty and the RDX has bad gas mileage and a very rough ride. The Q5 is also much roomier than the RDX and much more luxurious. The biggest difference I notice between the Acura SUVs and the Q5 is how stable the Q5 is at high speed. The Acura SUVs can go fast, but you feel like you are going fast. With the Q5, you can do a 100 MPH and feel like you are doing 65. imagine how stable it is when you are actually doing 65 MPH. I dont drive a 100 MPH but I like cars that are design to do that. A car that is design for high speed will be that much more stable at low speed.

Quick Reply: Q5 vs MDX vs RDX