Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rattle from driver side B-Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:14 AM
tgf
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle from driver side B-Pillar

Has anyone experienced a rattle coming from the window panel or the B-pillar? My car has this rattle that sounds like a loose wire, or a loose metal piece that constantly touches another metal and makes noise.
The noise is sporadic so difficult to get a large enough sample.

The dealership has put felt tape around inside of the door panel, b-pillar. But the noise is still there and they are not able to isolate it.

Any ideas? Thoughts about what could be wrong.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it seat belt related?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:40 AM
tgf
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Is it seat belt related?
Not sure. Is there a loose part anywhere in the seat belt mechanism that I should be looking at?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the exact same sporadic rattle, but mine has happened on both sides of the car at times. Please report if you find a solution, as it's enough to drive a person nuts.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had what I thought was a rattle but it turned out to be the glass binding(and breaking loose) from the perimeter weatherstripping. I cleaned the glass and wiped some Gummipfledge in the channel and all was well. Other that that, no problems. Check yours by lowering the glass just a bit the next time you hear it and see what happens.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 AM
tgf
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I had what I thought was a rattle but it turned out to be the glass binding(and breaking loose) from the perimeter weatherstripping. I cleaned the glass and wiped some Gummipfledge in the channel and all was well. Other that that, no problems. Check yours by lowering the glass just a bit the next time you hear it and see what happens.
Thanks. The rattle seems to go away when I push against the window. Audi Dealer had inspected the window earlier and mentioned that 'everything is within specifications'.

Will try lowering the window a bit today.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I tried the Gummipfledge a while back (after BullDog had first posted) and it didn't help. Because of the wind noise created by cracking the window a bit, I'm really unable to determine if it stops the rattle.

I'll try using it again once I get the car back from the dealer, as right now it's in for another bizarre whistling sound coming from under the hood around 30mph.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Any luck out there on fixing a b-pillar or door rattle on the Q5

It is absolutely maddening to have this high-frequency rattle in such a nice car. My 2012 Q5 started rattling within 1 week and the dealer is clueless. They took apart the door and b-pillar today and it made it much worse. (They added no felt though.) I have pressed on the glass/pillar/door/etc during the rattle with no positive effect.

Has anyone found a real solution? The car is awesome otherwise but this is so annoying I want to get rid of it.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
tgf
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default problem area possibly identified

the problem was isolated to the end-seals of driver and driver-side rear passenger door. I placed a thick felt pad between the seal and the steel frame ... and the problem went away. The rattle never came back. Dealer will have to re-insert the black door seals when I go back in for regular maintenance.

Originally Posted by RattleAndHum
It is absolutely maddening to have this high-frequency rattle in such a nice car. My 2012 Q5 started rattling within 1 week and the dealer is clueless. They took apart the door and b-pillar today and it made it much worse. (They added no felt though.) I have pressed on the glass/pillar/door/etc during the rattle with no positive effect.

Has anyone found a real solution? The car is awesome otherwise but this is so annoying I want to get rid of it.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tgf
the problem was isolated to the end-seals of driver and driver-side rear passenger door. I placed a thick felt pad between the seal and the steel frame ... and the problem went away. The rattle never came back. Dealer will have to re-insert the black door seals when I go back in for regular maintenance.
Picture?