Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

is this real? video on the new X3 vs Q5

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this real? video on the new X3 vs Q5

http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/49558...o-shame--video
Old 11-01-2010, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing new here...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2792614
Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, as real as the 100 previous times it was posted and discussed.

That is wat happens wen you shut off the Audi ESP system. No, it is not the way Audi normally behave. Audi's system is superior.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Completely fake. You can actually tell (by the fact that she was braking at the same time) that she was purposely causing the Audi to fail. Lets not forget that Audi started it all with their Quattro so BMW have to resort to these tactics to try to prove themselves.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Igxc4yg6xA
Old 11-02-2010, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Come on guy's face reality.... These videos demonstrate exactly the way the quattro system on the Q5 operates!

Both videos are legitimate examples of the way quattro operates under the conditions shown. Here is another one in which they show you what it is like with ESP on and ESP off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI6tP...layer_embedded

Here is some explanation of Audi's quattro systems (the Q5 uses generation V in this explanation). What you need to realise is that the quattro system on the Q5 is not able to transfer 100% of torque to either front or rear axles so if you have only 65% of engine torque going to the front then you must have 35% going to the rear. If the rears are on rollers then they are going to spin! If the remaining 65% of engine torque going to the front is not enough to move the car then you are going nowhere with the rears sitting there spinning!
In fact I think the situation is a bit worse than this when you have no traction at all on one axle like in the videos - I believe you need some resistance on the lightly loaded axle for the torque transfer to work correctly (you could always lightly touch the brake pedal to effect this).

The BMW system on the other hand is able to lock the front and rear drive shafts with the obvious result.

Does this mean that quattro is no good? Of course not! It just means that it is a road based system designed to give good on-road vehicle dynamics rather than ultimate off road ability. If you don't like it this way then go and buy a Toureg or a BMW and see how much fun they are to drive on the road!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Next time I drive on rollers on one wheel, I will be sure to buy a BMW
Old 11-02-2010, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

....What you need to realise is that the quattro system on the Q5 is not able to transfer 100% of torque to either front or rear axles so if you have only 65% of engine torque going to the front then you must have 35% going to the rear. If the rears are on rollers then they are going to spin! If the remaining 65% of engine torque going to the front is not enough to move the car then you are going nowhere with the rears sitting there spinning!
In fact I think the situation is a bit worse than this when you have no traction at all on one axle like in the videos - I believe you need some resistance on the lightly loaded axle for the torque transfer to work correctly (you could always lightly touch the brake pedal to effect this)....

That is little bit off the fact so let's go this step by step.

50/50 % split (mechanically locked middle differential) gives same torque to front and rear axles and car would not spin the rear wheels as the front wheels would pull it off.

35/65 % split would mean rear spins almost double compared to front and if kept spinning, the front would pull the car off.

65/35 % split would mean front torque is almost double compared to rear and with little rear spin, the front would pull it off.

Torsen middle differential is unable to function as the rollers doesn't have rotating resistance.

Anyone who works with rear differential limited slips, know that Torsen rear differential does not function if either side is on air and haves no rotating resistance. Known issue for Hummer H1 which had Torsen front and rear differential locks and if vehicle was on cross-hanging, owners had to gently press the brake to generate the resistance to activate the lockers and convey the power to wheels on ground.

G Man,

I agree and it seems I'm lucky I don't have rollers on my way to work and back

Last edited by kleinbus; 11-02-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

None of us will ever be in the "roller" situation so just leave it alone. People are swayed so easily when they see the illusion of something not working when they think it should.

The Quattro setup in our vehicles and other Audi vehicles is best used on road where if you hit a puddle or patch of ice it can transfer the torque much faster then a computer system because it doesn't need to slip first. Go buy an xdrive vehicle...enjoy the extended ride height....
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
People are swayed so easily when they see the illusion of something not working when they think it should.
There's a sucker born every minute.

Quick Reply: is this real? video on the new X3 vs Q5