Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

rear wiper

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wiper

Hate to have to ask this, though I turned on my wipers today for the first time on my 1.5 week old Q5 and the rear wiper went on (never even paid attention to the fact that it was there) and after I turned the wipers off, it stayed on. I have my manual at home, and could not figure out how to turn it off. Can anyone shed any light on how to control that thing so it is not rubbing against my window on my way home tonight?

Thank you.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Pull the right (wiper) stick directly towards you. Pushing it away from you will turn on the rear wiper, pulling it towards you will turn it off, and if you pull it all the way forwards, it will turn on the front (not rear) wiper and spray.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BeachRat
Pull the right (wiper) stick directly towards you. Pushing it away from you will turn on the rear wiper, pulling it towards you will turn it off, and if you pull it all the way forwards, it will turn on the front (not rear) wiper and spray.
Thank you :-)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also if you engage reverse with just the front wiper on (stick closer to steering wheel) the rear wiper will actuate automatically as long as you remain in reverse.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Also if you engage reverse with just the front wiper on (stick closer to steering wheel) the rear wiper will actuate automatically as long as you remain in reverse.

True and I found code to turn off that feature as if car is outside below freezing temperatures, once the car warms enough to begin to melt the ice on windshield, you flip the windshield wipers to wipe some off and start reversing and either rear wiper wipes or its frozen to glass and either breaks of blows fuse.

I have broke rear wiper motors and I have blown fuses so I prefer to have rear wiper not linked to front wipers.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
True and I found code to turn off that feature as if car is outside below freezing temperatures, once the car warms enough to begin to melt the ice on windshield, you flip the windshield wipers to wipe some off and start reversing and either rear wiper wipes or its frozen to glass and either breaks of blows fuse.

I have broke rear wiper motors and I have blown fuses so I prefer to have rear wiper not linked to front wipers.
Wow - I always try to scrape off all windows before I drive off so never have had that issue.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Link to that code, please?
Thanks. Not a fan either.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Wow - I always try to scrape off all windows before I drive off so never have had that issue.
Eh you are so down south that those lattitudes it barely get -20F and zero is not frozen yet

I scrape the front and front sides so clean that you couldn't say it was frozen.

Rear, I couldn't care any less as I have learnt to use side mirrors and I don't use rear window as there is no rear window on charter busses and trucks so I haven't learn to use in on passenger cars either.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear, I couldn't care any less as I have learnt to use side mirrors and I don't use rear window as there is no rear window on charter busses and trucks so I haven't learn to use in on passenger cars either.
Its not all about you!
Having a clean/clear rear window allows trafic behind you a better chance to see through your car or see what you are up to. Perhaps you dont drive in a city much but its amazing how much easier it is to cope with what the car in front is going to do when you can see if they are concentrating, on the phone, arguing with a passenger, looking all around for directions or parking, distracted by anything inside their car.
It also helps if you know, that they know, that you are there.

Totally agree as a person with HGV licence and driving experience of all manner of commercial vehicles without through vehicle vision but the big difference is the other drivers compensate for this ... or should. Most cars would be too low to see through a bus anyway.

Maybe its just a pet hate of mine but I generally take the opinion of drivers who dont have full vision out of their cars that they are a danger to themselves and others.
I either pass as soon as possible, go another route or give more space but even in doing that I feel they are taking up some of my concentration that could be better used elsewhere.
Any vehicle should be used and kept in the condition it was meant for. Other road users have the right to expect that of you too!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Eh you are so down south that those lattitudes it barely get -20F and zero is not frozen yet

I scrape the front and front sides so clean that you couldn't say it was frozen.

This feature of Q5 was made specifically for So. Cal drivers...