Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Reset throttle...Mythdoc posted this

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Reset throttle...Mythdoc posted this

This is the first I have heard of this...what does it do?

I’d try to reset the throttle: 1) turn on ignition without foot on brake, so engine does not start. 2) floor accelerator for 15 seconds. 3) release accelerator, then turn off car (or start engine and drive). Let us know if it helps.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

It is a procedure to wipe the learning process of the transmission and start over. For use when you buy a car from someone with very different shift patterns than yours. I haven’t had the TDI fix yet on my car, but I suggested it for those who were reporting weird shifting behavior. I learned it on my Touareg, and I am pretty sure the Audi’s work the same. Give it a try and let me know what it does.

here’s a link:
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...st-126786.html

Oh, and I don’t believe the open/close door thing, dunno where that came from, lol

Last edited by Mythdoc; 02-03-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

That only works for early Audi/VW engines, I believe some prior to 2009, maybe even much earlier.

To perform Throttle Body Adjustment(adaptation) on newer engines you must use a VCDS or similar.

Drive-by-Wire (DBW) Engines using KWP-2000 or CAN (These are engines WITHOUT a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle. Check to see if the engine speaks KWP-2000 or CAN by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen. An example of a KWP-2000 engine controller is the 2002+ B6 Audi A4 1.8T. Some examples of CAN engine controllers are the Mk5 Golf 2.0T FSI)

Turn the key on but do not start the car.
  • [Select]
  • [01 - Engine]
  • [Basic Settings - 04]
  • Group 060
  • [Go!]
It should say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen.
  • Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn on Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: ON" on the top of your screen. Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switched basic settings on. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
  • Click [[b]ON/OFF/Next] to turn off Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen
  • Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.
Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 02-03-2018 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gk1 (08-08-2020)
Old 02-03-2018, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you for the update!
Old 02-04-2018, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
Thank you for the update!
you guys are amazing...isn’t there anything you don’t know??
Old 02-18-2018, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Update: the VCDS throttle body procedure does not work on diesels, just verified this.

Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) - Ross-Tech Wiki

Best I know, the reset process described above resets the transmission shift points in a TDI. For anyone not happy with the shifting post dieselgate fix, give it a try. There is no harm to your vehicle in performing the procedure.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Just did it on my 14 Sq and it worked just fine.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:32 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
That only works for early Audi/VW engines, I believe some prior to 2009, maybe even much earlier.

To perform Throttle Body Adjustment(adaptation) on newer engines you must use a VCDS or similar.

Drive-by-Wire (DBW) Engines using KWP-2000 or CAN (These are engines WITHOUT a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle. Check to see if the engine speaks KWP-2000 or CAN by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen. An example of a KWP-2000 engine controller is the 2002+ B6 Audi A4 1.8T. Some examples of CAN engine controllers are the Mk5 Golf 2.0T FSI)

Turn the key on but do not start the car.
  • [Select]
  • [01 - Engine]
  • [Basic Settings - 04]
  • Group 060
  • [Go!]
It should say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen.
  • Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn on Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: ON" on the top of your screen. Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switched basic settings on. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
  • Click [[b]ON/OFF/Next] to turn off Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen
  • Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.
Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!
Hi Bob, I have the latest version of VCDS and when I select the step [Basic Settings - 04] all I get is a drop down list and no ability to enter Group 060 - is there an updated procedure for the latest VCDS software - I'm using version 20.4.2?
Thanks
Roman

Last edited by rez; 08-08-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by rez
Hi Bob, I have the latest version of VCDS and when I select the step [Basic Settings - 04] all I get is a drop down list and no ability to enter Group 060 - is there an updated procedure for the latest VCDS software - I'm using version 20.4.2?
Thanks
Roman
What I posted is over 2 years old and many VCDS things have changed since then...…..

Go to the last Drive by Wire in this link, use the drop down list .

Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) - Ross-Tech Wiki)

You should read the latest Ross-Tech Wiki on the Q5. Also go to the Ross-Tech forums a wealth of info there...….
The following users liked this post:
gk1 (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 03:43 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
What I posted is over 2 years old and many VCDS things have changed since then...…..

Go to the last Drive by Wire in this link, use the drop down list .

Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) - Ross-Tech Wiki)

You should read the latest Ross-Tech Wiki on the Q5. Also go to the Ross-Tech forums a wealth of info there...….
thanks so much Bob. I guess I wasn’t persistent enough, nor did I look in the right places. The VCDS videos I found using a google search were all the 2 year old stuff.

Quick Reply: Reset throttle...Mythdoc posted this