Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Reverse camera w/o nav kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now as far as SPDT set up, when you use the relay you should get the plug for it, mine was 5 wire one, on the relay there should be numbers, 85, 86, 87, 87A, 30, 87A not used at all, leave it, you don't need it, now 85 is ground, I connected mine to brown wire at the cigarette lighter plug in the trunk, also your camera ground wire(black), which is black could be connected to the same wire too, 86 connects to BCM unit, its a big black box on the passenger side, has 2 pugs with bunch of wires coming from each, one plug is light brow, the other is black, so 86 connects to black plug that has black/white wire, that is the wire that supplies volts to the back up ligh when you are in reverse and triggers your camera to go on, 87 goes to constant power from light brown plug, there is a red/blue wire there, use in-line 5 amp fuse holder to protect your relay, 30 goes to Jemco nevtel unit there is a greay wire coming from the unit labeled rear, you of cause have to get your own wires for power to interface and rear gray wire, I hope that this helps a little bit, always use voltage meter, and at your own risk, wrong wiring could lead to fire and gas tank is right there next to this set up, be careful and hope i was of some help
Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

when you use AMI tool for removal, flat side goes towards outside of the unit, notched one towards inside
Old 05-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

New problems
1: I tapped into the black/white wire behind the Hazard switch for 12vdc when the car is turned on. Now the Airbag light stays displayed on the dash. I disconnected my jumper wire and airbag light still displays on dash. I'll have Audi reset that next oil change.

2: When I first talked to Dudki and he helped me set up, it worked as advertised. Then 30 minutes later when I went to restart the car, the guidelines disappeared and when I put it in reverse, the camera no longer pops up. So now I have no clue what the heck is going on??

Where did you guys get your 12vdc power to power up the interface box? I think this is causing some problems, but don't know why.

Last edited by svt3565; 05-25-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any time you unplug Audi AMI screen and turn anything on, like ignition key, you will get faults code light up on the info screen, could be airbag, mine was parking brake light malfunction, but it could be reset by dealer. I used trunk cigarette lighter wires for all my power, including back up camera power, now interface has power wires for back up camera marked rear and ground, so no separate wire needed for camera power just use power from interface to power your camera, when I spoke to Jemco, they advised not to keep camera on constant power because it will cause problem later on. So you have wires provided by Jemco, RCA wires with attached red wire to one of them, thats your power wire for camera, attach that to rear power wire from little plug for back up camera. You will need to run 2 additional wires, one to power interface and one for back up signal. I have a hand written wire diagram if you need. Let me know
Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Dudki. I understand everything you posted and very thankful for that. The problem is after we got off the phone(and everything was working) it stopped working. When I put it in reverse, the camera and guide lines no longer display.

Only way to see the camera view is if I plug in AV1 RCA cable and use the remote to get to AV1 screen.
The "rear C" RCA no longer works when put into reverse(as stated above).
Red and Green lights display.
I hear the relay in the back click when put into reverse.
Used the multimeter and over 12vdc is present where it's suppose to be.
I've hit factory reset and still didn't help.
Called Jemko twice, left a voicemail and of course they don't call back.

Ideas?