Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

The s-line grille does fit in a non s-line bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The s-line grille does fit in a non s-line bumper

There is some info out there on this, but I thought I would post definitive statements for people.

The S-line grille does fit on a non s-line front bumper. Dealers may tell you or a body shop ridiculous things including but not limited to there are different hoods for s-line cars and that is why the grille won't fit. Don't believe it.

That being said, there is a slight modification that needs to be made. Because there are fewer bars on the s-line grille, and those bars are in a different place, you will need to notch some of the bumper substructure on the inside of the bumper. This is very easy to do and very evident when you get the bumper and grille off (the bumper needs to come off to get the grille out).
Old 07-16-2011, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rs4-380
There is some info out there on this, but I thought I would post definitive statements for people.

The S-line grille does fit on a non s-line front bumper. Dealers may tell you or a body shop ridiculous things including but not limited to there are different hoods for s-line cars and that is why the grille won't fit. Don't believe it.

That being said, there is a slight modification that needs to be made. Because there are fewer bars on the s-line grille, and those bars are in a different place, you will need to notch some of the bumper substructure on the inside of the bumper. This is very easy to do and very evident when you get the bumper and grille off (the bumper needs to come off to get the grille out).
Glad to hear this. That is exactly what I thought. A dealer told me the same thing that a whole front end would have to ordered. I would also like to put an S-Line bumper on my Q. Would you be able to send me the part number for the grille. I would probably have my dealer install the grille as I don't think I would be able to remove the front bumper myself. Is it a difficult process? Thanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

it's not difficult but you may be better served finding a body shop or tuning shop to do it since it is technically a "modification". If you are doing the whole bumper it would be less of a problem. I will see if I can dig up the part number. You will need a different license plate holder as well.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default S-Line Skirt available

I have the full front and rear s-line skirt (fender/bumper)including exhaust tips available - email me if your interested....having the full enco bodykit installed on my white s-line q5 this week....will post pics once done
Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

it's not difficult but you may be better served finding a body shop or tuning shop to do it since it is technically a "modification". If you are doing the whole bumper it would be less of a problem. I will see if I can dig up the part number. You will need a different license plate holder as well.
Do you have the part number for the grille? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

There is some info out there on this,
What do you mean by "notch some of the bumper substructure"?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also have the s-line grill to go with the full front and rear s-line skirt (fender/bumper)including exhaust tips available - email me if your interested....had the full enco bodykit installed on my 2011 white s-line q5 with parking assist
Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by c-dub
What do you mean by "notch some of the bumper substructure"?
Can someone please help me with this?
I really appreciate any input! Thank you in advance.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what I've read, the s-line grill moumts a bit differently...
like 'slats' going vertical rather than horizontal (or vice-versa) and where it meets the car supports, some of the plastic needs to be trimmed (notched) to fit around the slats going the other way....

simple as that... or as my Grandpa used to say...
"Beat it to fit, paint it to match"

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 09-13-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
from what I've read, the s-line grill moumts a bit differently...
like 'slats' going vertical rather than horizontal (or vice-versa) and where it meets the car supports, some of the plastic needs to be trimmed (notched) to fit around the slats going the other way....

simple as that... or as my Grandpa used to say...
"Beat it to fit, paint it to match"
Thanks John.

Quick Reply: The s-line grille does fit in a non s-line bumper