Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sat nav update

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sat nav update

Does or has anyone ever updated their sat nav?

I noticed the other day that the sat nav didn't show new roads which have been in operation for a good few years.

Anyone any suggestions on how to???
Old 05-05-2019, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LazyPanda

I noticed the other day that the sat nav didn't show new roads which have been in operation for a good few years.

Head to your dealer and be prepared to pay $400. MK1 models are not self-updating.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your phone is updated daily. I use my phone for GPS and it's always correct.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yea... not going to happen. Dealerships charge enough as it is especially Audi!!!

Rather not use my phone, sat nav drains your battery or else what's the point to having sat nav in your car, it's there to be used so use it and it wont drain your battery.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

My 2009 didn't come with any fancy stuff, just a Symphony Radio (non MMI) and Bluetooth for phone calls. I recently installed an after market Android unit with back up camera, dash camera, GPS and Apple CarPlay. I couldn't be more happy. I went for a cheap unit (there are better ones) and I might have spent under $650 in total.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Yea... not going to happen. Dealerships charge enough as it is especially Audi!!!

Rather not use my phone, sat nav drains your battery or else what's the point to having sat nav in your car, it's there to be used so use it and it wont drain your battery.
Then you pay the dealer the high costs of updates, just how life is...…….
Old 05-06-2019, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Head to your dealer and be prepared to pay $400. MK1 models are not self-updating.
IT'S NOT TRUE

I have upgraded at least 50 different models Q5, A4, A5 2009-2016 MMI 3G base, 3G Hnav and 3 G Hnav +
Old 05-06-2019, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Depending on which part of the world, for Europe there are all maps from 2010-2019 for 3G base, Hnav, Hnav +.
For North America I only have version 2017/2018, people from USA do not want to share folders they have bought
Old 05-10-2019, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had this experience. I called the dealership I have a 2015 Q7 and I want updated GPS map. The guy said OK he will order it for me. I asked is it's on a DVD and he said yes. That's $265.00 plus tax. I went to pick it up yesterday. Got home and getting ready to load the map. Open the up the plastic case and to my disappointment, there was no DVD. There was only a thin booklet with authorization code for the map. WTF? I went back dealership today and ask them what the heck is this crap? They said I need to pay another $200 for the actual map and the update has to be done by the service dept. Are you kidding me? What is the idea behind this madness? Why do they have to make it so complicated? Is this how they make money? I'm not going to pay $500 for an update. I was pissed. I asked for a refund and left. I guess I will be using my iPhone for directions.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nkq7
I just had this experience. I called the dealership I have a 2015 Q7 and I want updated GPS map. The guy said OK he will order it for me. I asked is it's on a DVD and he said yes. That's $265.00 plus tax. I went to pick it up yesterday. Got home and getting ready to load the map. Open the up the plastic case and to my disappointment, there was no DVD. There was only a thin booklet with authorization code for the map. WTF? I went back dealership today and ask them what the heck is this crap? They said I need to pay another $200 for the actual map and the update has to be done by the service dept. Are you kidding me? What is the idea behind this madness? Why do they have to make it so complicated? Is this how they make money? I'm not going to pay $500 for an update. I was pissed. I asked for a refund and left. I guess I will be using my iPhone for directions.

NKQ7, I feel your pain on this. Thankfully I didn't buy from Audi I only asked them to quote.
However... i did a bit of Google searching and in the UK there are companies that sell either SD or CDs to update your maps, cost wise they were asking for around £180.

I haven't got round to doing it yet; but will be shortly. I'd say have a poke around Google because someone will be into this business.

Quick Reply: Sat nav update