Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Shifting between D, tiptronic, and S

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting between D, tiptronic, and S

Is it bad for the transmission to switch between D,S, and tipronic while in motion? I finally reached the 600 mile break in mark and feels good. I am kind of relectant on switching while in motion. I switch modes when I come to a complete stop. Is there any literature on this? I could not find it in the manual.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supahan
Is it bad for the transmission to switch between D,S, and tipronic while in motion? I finally reached the 600 mile break in mark and feels good. I am kind of relectant on switching while in motion. I switch modes when I come to a complete stop. Is there any literature on this? I could not find it in the manual.
You should have no problem switching on-the-fly. I always did in my A4 avant and I always do in my wife's BMW X3. I normally keep in in standard, but if I need a power boost to pass someone or just for fun, I shift into Sport and then shift back afterwards. Works perfectly!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

No problem at all, I've had Audi's and VW's with tiptronic transmission for years and always shifted on the fly.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works fine although I wish Audi would have put the tiptronic gate next to the sport mode position -- this is bmw's approach. I find that I typically want to use tiptronic when I'm already driving in sport mode. Switching from sport to tiptronic means going through regular drive mode which sometimes results in an up-shift.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is there any literature that confirms this. I am so used to driving a manual car and clutching.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shifting on the fly is no probelm, electronic transmission won't let you do it if its bad. i agree the S should be next to the tip tronic gate or if you hit it over. also i would like the tiptronic gate to be to the left. i find the right side is easier to pull back into D if you take a turn and your hand is on the shifter. another gripe not so much is that the +/- be switched. it makes sense how it is but when ur driving due to physics it feels the other way makes sense. oh and one last thing, if when u shifted into tiptronic instead of putting you into the gear your in, if it dropped you a gear or 2 so that you would be in a better gear without downshifting to accelerate.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tip is on left in the right hand drive version, bet you could swap it. Agree re preference on gate and "S" position.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Paddle shifter

Originally Posted by Toronto-Q5
Works fine although I wish Audi would have put the tiptronic gate next to the sport mode position -- this is bmw's approach. I find that I typically want to use tiptronic when I'm already driving in sport mode. Switching from sport to tiptronic means going through regular drive mode which sometimes results in an up-shift.
I have paddles on my 2008 A4 - they work in both D and S, depending on which you're in.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

S-lines have paddles.. yeah S-Line!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok REALLY dumb question, I have a 09 Q5 s-line/prestige - what are you referring to when you say 's' mode. The Q5 does not have a sport mode like my wife's A3 has, or are you just referring to throwing the shifter into manual mode?

John

Quick Reply: Shifting between D, tiptronic, and S