Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Should I trust my Audi mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I trust my Audi mechanic?

I have a 2013 Q5 with high miles, but well taken care of. Always had Audi mechanics perform regular maintenance and brought car in for repairs at first sign of trouble. On the way to bring car in for service due to problem with power steering fading in and out, the car suddenly went into EPC mode. I was literally two miles from my service dealership! Not knowing what was going on, however, I continued to drive it - praying it would make it in. The service department has had the car since July 1st, and just called me today with a quote on the problem. They claim my fuel injectors must have failed and leaked onto the cylinder, burning it out and now my engine has no compression. Estimate about $5500 to repair. Nothing even said about the original power steering failure, or how much more to fix that.

I am a woman who is not mechanically inclined, but this seems really off to me. Why did it take them so long to get back with me? Twelve days to diagnose the problem? And why would so much damage have occurred in just the five to ten minutes it took to drive to the dealership from the point where the EPC light went on? Other than the power steering fading in and out, the car was running splendidly before.

Seriously debating whether it is worth it to fix this vehicle or not. And if I replace, it will NOT be another Audi. In the six years I've owned this car, have had to replace three wheel bearings and the timing.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I would ask for a complete copy of the of their diagnosis document. You may have to pay for the diagnosis, which they will credit the diagnosis fee if they do the work. Take vehicle to a qualified independent mechanic for a second opinion.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Was the CEL blinking or any warnings to stop diving the car?
I agree with Dennis though. Get a second opinion.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Questions...……..

When it went into EPC mode and you continued to drive it to the dealership do you feel the engine still had it's normal power?

Was the engine rough and shaking after EPC was triggered?

Is the dealer indicating that more than one cylinder has lost compression, and that more than one fuel injector was leaking? If so, that doesn't seem very possible.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by swifti
I have a 2013 Q5 with high miles, but well taken care of. Always had Audi mechanics perform regular maintenance and brought car in for repairs at first sign of trouble. On the way to bring car in for service due to problem with power steering fading in and out, the car suddenly went into EPC mode. I was literally two miles from my service dealership! Not knowing what was going on, however, I continued to drive it - praying it would make it in. The service department has had the car since July 1st, and just called me today with a quote on the problem. They claim my fuel injectors must have failed and leaked onto the cylinder, burning it out and now my engine has no compression. Estimate about $5500 to repair. Nothing even said about the original power steering failure, or how much more to fix that.

I am a woman who is not mechanically inclined, but this seems really off to me. Why did it take them so long to get back with me? Twelve days to diagnose the problem? And why would so much damage have occurred in just the five to ten minutes it took to drive to the dealership from the point where the EPC light went on? Other than the power steering fading in and out, the car was running splendidly before.

Seriously debating whether it is worth it to fix this vehicle or not. And if I replace, it will NOT be another Audi. In the six years I've owned this car, have had to replace three wheel bearings and the timing.
Ok, first of all the odds of ALL your injectors failing at the same time are astronomical. Perhaps 1 cylinder may fail and flood that cylinder and cause scoring, but losing compression for the entire engine? I think not.
When an injector fails, it throws a OBD code which can be read and they should have had that code immediately. They didn't need 12 days to figure that out unless they went ahead and pulled your intake manifold and plugs and boroscoped your cylinders.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I would ask for a complete copy of the of their diagnosis document. You may have to pay for the diagnosis, which they will credit the diagnosis fee if they do the work. Take vehicle to a qualified independent mechanic for a second opinion.
+1 on this. Get it to a good indy mechanic and see what they have to say. Better, yet when you get the diag report, post it up here for all to see and we might be able to assist with possible causes. Good luck @swifti
Old 07-13-2019, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Could it be again a timing issue and now they are trying to blame something else instead because that is under warranty??

Get an independed advice ASAP.

Regarding Audi Diagnosis.
If they say they did not print the diagnostic info, discuss that you will not pay this otherwise.

Last edited by apoelistas; 07-13-2019 at 10:29 PM.