Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Snow Tire Chains - Front / Back or Diagonal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Tire Chains - Front / Back or Diagonal?

Hey guys - Going to Sun Peaks for skiing tomorrow and since I only have one pair of tire cables (these: https://goo.gl/Dwqb4k), should I use them on the front tires, back tires or diagonally (Left Fron/ Right Back)?

Anyone with experience on this?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Never ever diagonally. That's completely whack. Typical Audi is on fronts (FWD biased platform), though honestly at times I have thought about running them on rears given generally better clearances there albeit more hassle to install. But since better answer is winter tires, I haven't chained up in 20 years of quattro now.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just purchased a used 2014 SQ5 in Dec '16, and after purchasing the Peerless Snow chains Z-575 for potential trips to Tahoe and Yosemite, I read in the Audi owner's manual the following "Snow chains may be fitted only to the rear wheels, and only to certain tire sizes. The snow chains must have low-profile links and must not be thicker than .53 inch".
Old 01-11-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Checking the manual... what a novel idea. Good job.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had tried to find the info in the manual using the index but the way they organized the index is a bit of hit or miss (another example is finding info about the details of the spare tire/jack/compressor). Ended up reading a few chapters of the manual and found it eventually before I saw your response @Quantumrace. Thanks for sharing!

Also, thanks for the snide comment Dennis; always helpful with trolls in forums.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

With 1530 posts, I am no troll. I was making an observation and it is good advice to check the manual on such an important question. The "good job" was for quantumrace for finding the info in the manual.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 01-11-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. The system is rear biased, so you want them on the rear. Additionally, the larger rear diameter created by the chains will reduce the rear differential speed, relative to the fronts. This should cause even more torque to go to the rear all the time. That would prevent the front end from understeering a lot since the fronts would easily spin with less traction.

Putting them on the front, conversely would cause some odd issues.

Diagonal would add a lot of wear to the front and rear differentials over time and the systme might even start redistributing torque or applying the brakes in weird ways to compensate. It would be a mess.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Checking the manual... what a novel idea. Good job.
Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
With 1530 posts, I am no troll. I was making an observation and it is good advice to check the manual on such an important question. The "good job" was for quantumrace for finding the info in the manual.
I thought your response was rather "punny" I laughed a little. No way trolling.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

In the odd event that you have a Q5 not an SQ.
Even on AWD cars, the rear wheels push the car, the front wheels STOP AND STEER the car. So the bottom line is that you want snow cables/chains on ALL FOUR WHEELS unless you only plan to need help starting the car in motion. If you think steering and stopping are of some value, you want all four wheels done. (Don't ask me how I know this.)
If you've got to roll the dice and use what you have, put them on the rear this time, and get another of the same set to add for the front, checking first that they will all fit.
It helps to pack some latex gloves or thin neoprene sports gloves, for putting them on and off, and some newspaper or a carpet mat to kneel on while installing them. And it makes a huge difference to PRACTICE first, someplace warm and dry. Remember that these are not really meant to be used on dry pavement, you are supposed to pull over, shut down, remove the cables before transitioning back to a plowed road. Unless you like to use them up quickly.
And you may want to make sure you have hazard lights or flares to put out while you are doing this, because there's always some idiot trying to kill you while you are trying to do the work without putting your legs in the traffic lane. (Idiots run right over marker lights, but burning flares seem to keep them back a little further.)
Old 01-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How the Continental ContiContact LX sport tires do on the Quattro q5 in the snow?

Quick Reply: Snow Tire Chains - Front / Back or Diagonal?