Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Some issues with 2.0T...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some issues with 2.0T...please help!

Hi Everyone, I recently received my new 2.0T and I'm really loving the vehicle.

However, there are some potential problems I've noticed. One of them is that the car squeeks as I press and release the brake pedal. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this normal?

Also, whenever I open a door, I hear some mechanical movement sounds coming from the back of the car. Why does this happen whenever I open any car door?

Also, according to the trip computer, I am only getting 19.8MPG in pure city driving. This seems a tad bit low considering that some forum members have been getting something like 23-24MPG in city driving.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Epicurus88

However, there are some potential problems I've noticed. One of them is that the car squeeks as I press and release the brake pedal. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this normal?
That's because of the new brakes -- it should go away after a bit more driving.

Also, whenever I open a door, I hear some mechanical movement sounds coming from the back of the car. Why does this happen whenever I open any car door?
This is probably the self-testing of the parking brake? Try engaging/disengaging your parking brake and see if it makes the same sound.

Also, according to the trip computer, I am only getting 19.8MPG in pure city driving. This seems a tad bit low considering that some forum members have been getting something like 23-24MPG in city driving.

This could either be normal or a sign of the break-in period. Depending on how you drive, and what you consider "city", 19.8mpg to 24mpg all sound like reasonable numbers for the 2.0T.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't know where you are located but winter driving always results in lower gas mileage. You may be looking at people's warmer weather mileage.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Even though they are new brakes, they should not squeak, have the dealer look at it before the brake pads wear in too much.
There should not be a mechanical moving sound everytime you open the door, if it only happens once a while, it could be a coincidenace of some other system that happens to be running at that time.
I dont think anybody is getting 24 MPG driving all city in the winter in a brand new car. 19.8 MPG sounds like pretty good numbers under those circumstances.

Enjoy your new Audi
Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
There should not be a mechanical moving sound everytime you open the door, if it only happens once a while, it could be a coincidenace of some other system that happens to be running at that time.
I hear this as well - it's more like 2-3 clicking sounds in my case. I think I read somewhere on here (can't quite find it now) that this is the fuel pump priming, and so didn't think more of it. Is that not the case?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the response. I don't think the noise is from the parking brakes because I never use them.

I think this mechanical noise is coming from the back of the car. It almost seems like it's coming from the trunk area.

Originally Posted by jdong
That's because of the new brakes -- it should go away after a bit more driving.

This is probably the self-testing of the parking brake? Try engaging/disengaging your parking brake and see if it makes the same sound.

This could either be normal or a sign of the break-in period. Depending on how you drive, and what you consider "city", 19.8mpg to 24mpg all sound like reasonable numbers for the 2.0T.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hear the same thing as well...hear it all the time.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ditto on the noise while opening the drivers door. It sounds like an actuator getting ready to do something at the back of the car.

It is not as loud as the parking break.

19.8 seems normal for city driving. I get about the same.

Edit : Found the article Gat821 was referring to about the Fuel Pump

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ng-driver-door

Last edited by mpraju; 12-30-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Squeeky Brake Pedal when new

Just had 2011 delivered November 27th. After 2 weeks I experienced the same squeeky brake pedal. It generally only happened when moving slowly, and depressing the brake pedal gently. Toronto was cold (below 0C) until this last week, and mysteriously the squeeking has disappeared once it warmed up for 3 days (may be no connection but..). Now its cold again, but no squeek. The saleperson advised it would disappear and it has.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vanz
I hear the same thing as well...hear it all the time.
Same here.

Quick Reply: Some issues with 2.0T...please help!