Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

speedometer change from kmh to mph?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Okay okay. Simmer down. First, Raj, even if you manage to change the electronic center display to read MPH, the gauge on the right will still read in KPH. I don't know if you will be able to change that. Also, even if you do get a new gauge card that has the MPH readings on it, I don't know of a way to have the instrument cluster coded to also have the needle move at the MPH rate to match the new card. You may want to do some research online to seeing if that coding can be accomplished first. If you tell me what instrument cluster part number you have in there now, I can tell you what your replacement equivalent is that you are looking for if you end up having to get a different cluster all together.
So let me clarify a few things, since it appears you haven't read the thread in it's entirety.

1 - I am attempting to replace the gauge (speedometer) on the 'right-hand side'. I don't care about the electronic display.
2 - the needle movement between kph and mph is the same. There is no need to recode this, the requirement is for actual numbering to be in mph. Since it's the SAME vehicle between Canada and US and the 0-100 kph vs. 0-62 mph is the same for vehicle.

I understand I can replace the entire cluster...I've done that with previous cars, however that would be overkill since there'd also be the need to reprogram the component protection for the dash. Furthermore, would require an odometer reflash to ensure it reads correctly.

All I want is the background display on the speedometer as shown on the right-hand side here...so do you know the specific part number for it?
Old 12-29-2015, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by timlocke
I am not suggesting this!!!

You could open up the unit, carefully paint out the km markings and repaint with the mph equivalents. This would leave 100MPH at the top of the speedo where 160 km/h is now. You don't have to program the electronics as the needle swing is quite good with variable spacing between 20 km/h marks which is in fact useful, you just need to repaint the card. Some model aircraft matt black and white paint and a fine brush.
This is PRECISELY what I'm looking to do However, my ability to paint left me at kindergarten, therefore was wondering if someone doesn't already produce something exactly like this. Agree with you Tim that there's no need to recalibrate anything...I'm 100% fine opening up the dash, removing the cluster, opening it up...but my handiwork painting on the actual gauge will look like amateur hour...I'd prefer something more authentic

FWIW, I've reached out to this company in Germany, but was hoping we might have something in the states, plus these folks only have the Q5 with kph, but I asked them if they had the mph for the SQ5 Dials for conversion of US models Audi, 79,99 €

Last edited by raj99; 12-29-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Looks like I found what I needed here:

Audi SQ5 KMH to MPH Speedo meter clocks. Dials

But if anyone has any sources here in north America please do lmk. Furthermore, the place seems to be closed for the Christmas/New Years time period, so will try them after the 4th. And as you can see, the speedo goes all the way to 190mph, and here in the states we only get it going to 160mph, so I'll need to ensure they can offer that one, otherwise I'd have to deal with a litany of issues associated with calibrating the needle to the correct markings on the gauge.

Audi SQ5 KMH to MPH Speedo meter clocks. Dials

The odometer, temp, etc...should be able to be changed via my VCDS coding. I'll need to investigate all of that next

Last edited by raj99; 12-29-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is for the UK diesel SQ5 hence the 4500 redline on revs on left dial. Still you only need right dial really!
Old 12-29-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

An analog speedometer is definitely not mandatory. Many cars in the US don't have one. Why do you want to mess with the cluster???
Old 12-29-2015, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
2 - the needle movement between kph and mph is the same.
12 o'clock is 140 kph on US cluster while it's 160 kph on ROW.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
12 o'clock is 140 kph on US cluster while it's 160 kph on ROW.
As I mentioned, the car is from Canada so getting the fascia from the UK provider should do it for me, since as you point out the 12 o'clock position is 160kph, which is exactly the same as the one in the UK.

It sure beats putting in a brand new cluster . Should be able to get everything changed out in a few hours.

Anyone have detailed instructions on removing the instrument cluster on the sq5?

TIA and appreciate all the help from folks on this thread
Old 12-29-2015, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts

As I mentioned, the car is from Canada so getting the fascia from the UK provider should do it for me, since as you point out the 12 o'clock position is 160kph, which is exactly the same as the one in the UK.

It sure beats putting in a brand new cluster . Should be able to get everything changed out in a few hours.

Anyone have detailed instructions on removing the instrument cluster on the sq5?

TIA and appreciate all the help from folks on this thread
Have you contacted the places in the 2 links that I gave to you days ago?

This one seems to be exactly what you want........

Speedometer Conversion | KMH and MPH - US Speedo

I also gave you videos and instructions on how to remove the cluster.

So I'm a little confused on your quest.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Have you contacted the places in the 2 links that I gave to you days ago?

This one seems to be exactly what you want........

Speedometer Conversion | KMH and MPH - US Speedo

I also gave you videos and instructions on how to remove the cluster.

So I'm a little confused on your quest.
Hi Bob

I did contact them and they said that for the sq5 they would need a new instrument cluster, hence the price tag would be over $1k.

Sorry but have been on my mobile phone, so will take a look at the video you linked to and should be set from there.

BTW over the Christmas break I installed a rvc on my father's q5, thanks for the writeup on that. I'll be adding more details to that thread
Old 12-30-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts

Hi Bob

I did contact them and they said that for the sq5 they would need a new instrument cluster, hence the price tag would be over $1k.

Sorry but have been on my mobile phone, so will take a look at the video you linked to and should be set from there.

BTW over the Christmas break I installed a rvc on my father's q5, thanks for the writeup on that. I'll be adding more details to that thread

I feel your pain trying to get just a speedometer face. You would think that all these shops that perform custom cluster face conversions would have the OEM faces laying around.
Being a SQ5 face makes it more rare. Your best hope if to find a smashed up SQ5 that had a bad cluster and maybe get it very cheap.

Quick Reply: speedometer change from kmh to mph?