Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 it is

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 06:51 AM
yq5
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
I might be a bit biased, but you chose an awesome color combination. :-)
Thanks for those pics, love them. You have kept it clean and shining.. I need to get some tips from you.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yq5
Thanks for those pics, love them. You have kept it clean and shining.. I need to get some tips from you.
My kids are grown, so that sure does help a lot. As soon as I got mine I took it to a detailer so he could get any swirls out and put a good polish/wax on it. I then had a clear bra installed. Now just regular washes every week. I'll take it back to my detailer every 6 months. It is the price of owning a black vehicle. :-)
Old 02-01-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kids are grown, so that sure does help a lot. As soon as I got mine I took it to a detailer so he could get any swirls out and put a good polish/wax on it. I then had a clear bra installed. Now just regular washes every week. I'll take it back to my detailer every 6 months. It is the price of owning a black vehicle. :-)
You might consider buying a random orbital polisher. Mine is a Porter-Cable. About $125 if memory serves. You can put different pads with various polishes, waxes, etc. I use 3M Swirl Mark Remover (the one for dark cars), 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, and Meguiar's highest-carnuaba-content wax for a finish coat. Car gleams showroom-new when I'm done, about 2 hours later; less if I skip the middle step.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:33 PM
yq5
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for those tips. Please let me know how much would be the cost for installing the clear bra (If you are ok with it). I guess I will have some additional expenses after the car delivery.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:34 PM
yq5
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
You might consider buying a random orbital polisher. Mine is a Porter-Cable. About $125 if memory serves. You can put different pads with various polishes, waxes, etc. I use 3M Swirl Mark Remover (the one for dark cars), 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, and Meguiar's highest-carnuaba-content wax for a finish coat. Car gleams showroom-new when I'm done, about 2 hours later; less if I skip the middle step.
Thanks that helps.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
Have you tried Gloss-it products. They are awesome. And the tire shine is the best. No sling what so ever. I use these with my Cyclo polisher.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yq5
Thanks for those tips. Please let me know how much would be the cost for installing the clear bra (If you are ok with it). I guess I will have some additional expenses after the car delivery.
I paid right at $600 installed for the Xpel. It included entire front bumper, 1/4 hood, 1/4 front fenders, mirrors (satin finish), headlights, door handles cups, and the rear bumper lips (the top of the bumper by the lift gate to protect the bumper when loading/unloading).
Old 02-03-2014, 09:08 AM
yq5
AudiWorld Newcomer

I paid right at $600 installed for the Xpel. It included entire front bumper, 1/4 hood, 1/4 front fenders, mirrors (satin finish), headlights, door handles cups, and the rear bumper lips (the top of the bumper by the lift gate to protect the bumper when loading/unloading).
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:06 AM
yq5
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Picking up SQ5 tomorrow

Finally the day has come. Its Monday and my baby will be ready for delivery

I have opted for Audi care. The dealer is pushing to purchase Tire warranty. I am confused whether to buy it or leave it.

I live in NJ and after the winter, roads are pretty much filled with pot holes.

All your valuable inputs is much appreciated..
Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yq5
I am confused whether to buy it or leave it.
I'm alway suspicious of dealer add-ons, but I've purchased this on my last two audis and it's been well worth the price. Check the contract details but mine covered tire replacements and wheel repair or replacements with no deductible including both summer and winter wheels. There will be a max contract benefit, but if you hit that, it more than paid for itself.

This time around I have a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels, but only because winters were not available at the time for the sq5 21" wheels (they are now). On my previous A4 S line, I switched to snows in the winter but used the factory 19s year round and didn't worry about pot holes because I was fully covered (I'm in Mass and the roads are bad here too). I never had a bent wheel, but brought it in for several cosmetic repairs and I had 2 summer and 1 winter replacement tires covered. With my policy, if you wear out tires and buy replacements during the term of the contract, those are covered for road hazard repairs/replacements too.

If you do the math you could play the odds and probably do better self insuring against such things, but it hurts every time you have some damage and you'll likely have a hard time justifying a minor cosmetic repair. With this, if I get some curb rash I just bring it to the dealer - no stress at all. The sq5 21s are machined too, so the repair costs will be higher.

Quick Reply: SQ5 it is