Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Chrome Exhaust Tips - Corrosion / Carbon Buildup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BG SQ5
Maybe it's the pics, but the OP looks like normal carbon build up on any neglected exhaust tips. Just go after them with Blue Magic and a cotton rag. I've brought dozens of tips that like that back to new. Don't let them get that bad, and it won't take more than a 5 min polish each wash.

The second post looks odd. I wouldn't be confident with those.
So my first attempt at scrubbing with some Dawn infused soapy water and a non-scratch Scotchbrite pad yielded OK results on the left exhaust tip. I have some more work to do, but the carbon build up is starting to dissolve.

However, the stainless steel / chrome plating on the right tail pipe has completely eroded away and shows pitting in the metal (evident on the bottom lip). Not sure what can be done from here...Anyone?
Attached Thumbnails SQ5 Chrome Exhaust Tips - Corrosion / Carbon Buildup?-img_2768.jpg  
Old 07-17-2017, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by auntrout
It was a great tip SQ5guyinSoCal. If I clean the tips once week it will definitely just be a spray and wipe. I hadn't clean the tips for about 6 weeks and a little scrubbing with a paper towel did the job. Do you put anything on the tips after you clean them? Thanks again.
I just put a bit of wax on them after cleaning and it works fine. I do wax my SQ5 about twice a month. I used to own my own detailing business so its stayed with me to keep it looking brand new.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQ5guyinSoCal
I just put a bit of wax on them after cleaning and it works fine. I do wax my SQ5 about twice a month. I used to own my own detailing business so its stayed with me to keep it looking brand new.
Twice a month on the wax? What product do you use? After I bought my Q5 I did a real thorough wash, clayed the vehicle and applied Sonax Polymer Net Shield. The Sonax has held up real good, water still rolls right off and its been about 6 months. The car is garaged however, so that is probably a major reason I haven't had the reapply the sealant yet.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Twice a month on the wax? What product do you use? After I bought my Q5 I did a real thorough wash, clayed the vehicle and applied Sonax Polymer Net Shield. The Sonax has held up real good, water still rolls right off and its been about 6 months. The car is garaged however, so that is probably a major reason I haven't had the reapply the sealant yet.
I use Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax. What is does to dark colors is amazing. Mirror finish and makes the makes the pearl effect pop. I even wax my 21" wheels (both inside and outside) and the red brake calipers too....keeps the brake dust from building up and just rinse it off with a strong stream of water.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I use Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax. What is does to dark colors is amazing. Mirror finish and makes the makes the pearl effect pop. I even wax my 21" wheels (both inside and outside) and the red brake calipers too....keeps the brake dust from building up and just rinse it off with a strong stream of water.
I assume you have to take your wheels off in order to wax the barrel of your rims. I've been thinking about taking my wheels off to do a real thorough cleaning. Been using SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect and a Speed Master Wheel brush to clean the barrels and its been doing a great job, but haven't put any protection on the barrel's of my rims. I'm wondering how the Sonax Full Effect might work on the exhaust tips if I get a carbon build up.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HarwichSQ5
So my first attempt at scrubbing with some Dawn infused soapy water and a non-scratch Scotchbrite pad yielded OK results on the left exhaust tip. I have some more work to do, but the carbon build up is starting to dissolve.

However, the stainless steel / chrome plating on the right tail pipe has completely eroded away and shows pitting in the metal (evident on the bottom lip). Not sure what can be done from here...Anyone?
Glad you made some progress. Blue Magic and a cotton rag is the best I've gotten with any tips...MUCH more effective than soapy water. Some pitting you might have to live with, but if you get them good and shiny, you might not notice the pitting as much.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I assume you have to take your wheels off in order to wax the barrel of your rims. I've been thinking about taking my wheels off to do a real thorough cleaning. Been using SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect and a Speed Master Wheel brush to clean the barrels and its been doing a great job, but haven't put any protection on the barrel's of my rims. I'm wondering how the Sonax Full Effect might work on the exhaust tips if I get a carbon build up.
I actually don't take off my wheels when waxing them. With the 21" wheels and their design, I have enough room with my hands to apply the wax on the entire wheel. Also apply a coat of wax to the red brake calipers to keep them protected and makes them easy to rinse off and clean.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I actually don't take off my wheels when waxing them. With the 21" wheels and their design, I have enough room with my hands to apply the wax on the entire wheel. Also apply a coat of wax to the red brake calipers to keep them protected and makes them easy to rinse off and clean.
That makes it a lot easier. I have the 20" wheels; I'll need to see if I can get to the barrel's w/o removing the wheels.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the few practical advantages of 21" wheels on the SQ5 is ease of detailing. I have no problems washing and waxing the inside of the wheels, on the car, by hand. I had 20" five spoke wheels on my 2015 TDI Q5. The wheel design made it easy to clean the outside - the inside was a bit problematic around the calipers. I glued strips of sponge to wooden paint mixing sticks to get at the inside of the wheel. That seem to work better than the many wheel cleaning brushes I've bought over the years.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarwichSQ5

Try some chrome paint and clear coat. If you keep the paint only on the lip its a pretty invisible fix.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Chrome Exhaust Tips - Corrosion / Carbon Buildup?