Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 at Port. Any Ideas on ETA

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 at Port. Any Ideas on ETA

Hi

was just notified that my SQ5 is at port and is scheduled to be loaded 2/5. Any ideas/estimates as to travel time to Utah? Any idea where the boat unloads in the US?

Thanks....obviously getting a little excited!
Old 01-29-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by utcadman
Hi

was just notified that my SQ5 is at port and is scheduled to be loaded 2/5. Any ideas/estimates as to travel time to Utah? Any idea where the boat unloads in the US?

Thanks....obviously getting a little excited!
What US port serves Utah? Houston? San Diego?

It probably takes 2.5 to 3 weeks from Emden to Houston.

The ship Chesapeake Highway was scheduled to arrive Emden on 2/5 but the latest schedule released today shows it moving to the 9th or 10th and arriving Houston 2/27. That is the closest ship on the schedule to the date you indicated.

Last edited by Don Keener; 01-29-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got an email from my dealer that said my Q5 was built and schooled to sail on 2/5 as well. I'm in Portland OR and the ship goes to Houston. He said I should see it around March 10…So good bet we are on the same tub and same port...
Old 01-29-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Once the q5 lands in the Houston port (assuming for the West Coast - I'm in Portland), They will load it on a truck and it should take 7 to 10 days. I was told that they never load the Q5s on the train (2 weeks+) because of demand.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You should be able to get Audi's ETAs from your salesperson and have a reasonably-good idea of when to expect it, if you're wanting something a little more concrete than "probably about the same time as SJGQ5's delivery". Audi's usually a bit conservative in their estimates and so it will usually be a little earlier than they expect (since typically it'll load up on the truck within a day or so of hitting port but they allow nearly a week).
Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info! Yes I called. The only info the sales person could give me at this time was the load date. From all of your help it looks like I might be looking at the first week in March as well. These last few weeks will be tough on me...:-)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by utcadman
Thanks for the info! Yes I called. The only info the sales person could give me at this time was the load date. From all of your help it looks like I might be looking at the first week in March as well. These last few weeks will be tough on me...:-)
Tell me about it..Ordered day after Thanksgiving!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

At least it should hopefully be quicker than they allow for once it hits Houston. For example, I took delivery (granted in Austin so it's really close) 4 days after hitting port, right on the latest ETA for Release To Carrier (going on the truck). Port of Houston should've released it same- or next-day, then a day or so to get dropped off in Austin, then a day or two for prep/inspection, and then I get the call the next morning of "Hey, when can you come by and pick up your car?" (and I'm all "bwuh?!").

I also checked on my ETAs (which were ready as of 7-26-13 after ordering with a ready allocation on the 16th), and the initial dealer arrival ETA was the week of 10-28. That got pulled back to the week of 10-21, and even with a number of shipping-related delays (my Q5 was actually sitting up at Emden for a while waiting for its turn to be loaded) it was indeed at the dealer that week (and in my hands the end of the week).

So at least it's good that the ETAs are fairly reliable and tend to be conservative, so that if there's any delays in the ship schedules or anything, you should still have it by when they have on the ETAs. Doesn't make the wait better, but it's at least not likely to drag on even longer!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
Tell me about it..Ordered day after Thanksgiving!
Great info in this thread. I ordered mine December 8th, and got confirmation it was built. I have not seen that it has arrived at Emden port yet. Hopefully mine will be on the same ship as I was told it will be the Houston port.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi US has a program called 'Owner in Waiting' that your salesman can sign you up to. It gives you emails at a few key checkpoints in the delivery cycle... Order acceptance, build complete, arrival at Emden, release from US port.

Quick Reply: SQ5 at Port. Any Ideas on ETA