Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Offroad you have a much large chance of sidewall damage. Passenger car tires normally do not have the same sidewall reinforcement that dedicated off-road tires have, among other tradeoffs. But you could also carry a full extra spare mounted on the hood, LandRover style. If you could find a way to cover that with a tarp, fairing it down some, that might also help mileage. I'd very much want to carry a Slime type product, or perhaps even prefill the tires with one of the similar products, as well as carrying a plug kit. Presumably you've been offroad or at least in contact with that community before starting that trip since there's way more than a spare tire to worry over.

Sounds like it will be marvelous trip.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Offroad you have a much large chance of sidewall damage. Passenger car tires normally do not have the same sidewall reinforcement that dedicated off-road tires have, among other tradeoffs. But you could also carry a full extra spare mounted on the hood, LandRover style. If you could find a way to cover that with a tarp, fairing it down some, that might also help mileage. I'd very much want to carry a Slime type product, or perhaps even prefill the tires with one of the similar products, as well as carrying a plug kit. Presumably you've been offroad or at least in contact with that community before starting that trip since there's way more than a spare tire to worry over.

I do have some off-roading experience, my dad used to have a Toyota Bandeirante (predecesor of the Land Cruiser) and we did a lot of camping and fishing back in the days. When I said light off-roading I meant not paved road, these are very dry gravel roads that connect vineyards in the Mendoza province (best Malbec you can imagine), it’ll be summer so no snow and no mud. My concern there is the remoteness of the place rather than the dangers of the journey (pumas has been extinct for quite a while).
You are right about slime, I’m an amateur mountain biker, I’ve converted to tubeless a long time ago and I’ll never go back to inner tubes so yes, I’ll carry a repair kit as well, makes total sense.
BTW, here’s a mythic video about Audi Quattro in Bariloche, the landscape hasn’t changed that much:
Old 06-02-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The real *****-to-the-wall international rally circuit cars are just a little different from our 4500# dancing hippos, much less any of the new cars. I think the first step to making a new car move like that would be to kill the ESC system, it would never allow that kind of drifting. I think getting the entire car airborne also voids the warranty.(G)
Old 06-02-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts

I would definitely stay away from the hood with anything!!! It's made of aluminum. I put a shallow dent in it one time pressing it with my hand as I cleaned my windshield. The dent popped out but I can still see where it was if I look very closely.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I would definitely stay away from the hood with anything!!! It's made of aluminum. I put a shallow dent in it one time pressing it with my hand as I cleaned my windshield. The dent popped out but I can still see where it was if I look very closely.
I’ve made some research and roof mounted seems to be the best option.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ouch.
Maybe one of those small trailer hitch racks then?
Old 06-02-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ouch.
Maybe one of those small trailer hitch racks then?
Something like this: https://www.yakima.com/loadwarrior
Old 06-10-2019, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/t...-installation/
I have been looking into doing something like this with a full size spare.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by username579
https://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/t...-installation/
I have been looking into doing something like this with a full size spare.
Even though I don't like how the booth looks like after the modifications I must admit that it's the most clever solution I've seen so far.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Where does the sub go?

Quick Reply: SQ5 Spare Tire