Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 suspension much too stiff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:04 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think many of us (myself included) are fighting the same questions....TDI vs SQ5 (numerous historical posts prove it).

I'll be interested to hear how it shakes out for you.

-tgt

Originally Posted by visualguy
Yes, that is a concern - too bad the SQ5 doesn't have adaptive suspension (actually, too bad the roads aren't maintained better...)

My other concern is that the fuel consumption on this car will be out of control. Lots of traffic congestion and traffic lights around here, so my S5 burns gas like crazy, and the SQ5 will only be worse... Still, I decided to go with the SQ5 rather than the Q5 TDI S-line-plus assuming the SQ5 will be more fun. I hope I don't regret it...
Old 10-28-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the suspension in the U.S. SQ5 identical to the standard Q5? If so, how could it be harsher? Might speak to the subjectivity of many of these "tests".
Old 10-28-2013, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgt
I think many of us (myself included) are fighting the same questions....TDI vs SQ5 (numerous historical posts prove it).

I'll be interested to hear how it shakes out for you.

-tgt
I'll certainly report my experience once I get the SQ5...

One thing I noticed with the S5 is that fuel consumption is almost tolerable in normal driving. Maybe 19 mpg in mixed city/hwy. However, in congested traffic or when driving somewhat aggressively, it gets really bad really fast, as in dropping to the mid-teens in those cases. The EPA numbers are somewhat misleading on this car because it's so sensitive to how you drive it. Considering the small fuel tank of the S5 (16 gal), you become a frequent visitor at the gas station.

I expect fuel consumption to be somewhat worse on the SQ5, but at least there's a 20 gal tank.

I was really close to ordering the Q5 TDI S-line-plus because of this and to get the adaptive suspension. I expect the diesel to be less fun to drive, but maybe this is unwarranted. One thing that surprised me is that most of the gas stations in my area do not sell diesel. There's actually only one "brand name" (Shell) station nearby that sells it, as well as one generic station. The other half a dozen or so stations in the area don't sell diesel.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Isn't the suspension in the U.S. SQ5 identical to the standard Q5? If so, how could it be harsher? Might speak to the subjectivity of many of these "tests".
The height is identical, but it's not an identical suspension.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sq5wantabe
So Motortrend really loved the SQ5 in their SUV OF THE YEAR roundup, but most reviewers agreed the ride was so stiff that they could not recommend it. What do you SQ5 owners say?
I really like the ride . It's definitely firm but not all harsh.

I'll add that my passengers have also commented on how comfortable the ride is. I've had both a Boxster owner and an Equus owner rave equally about the handling and ride - there's a couple of extremes for you.

Steve
Old 10-28-2013, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My 2.0T is stiffer than I expected based on my test drive of a 3.2 some time back, especially when the suspension is cold. I would even go so far as to say my A3 with sport suspension was more compliant over bad roads. My mom thought the same the first time I took her for a drive. She did not like "the ride" and said it was too rough.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with fuel economy. For some reason it's noticeably better than my S4 with the same motor.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
I'm actually pleasantly surprised with fuel economy. For some reason it's noticeably better than my S4 with the same motor.
Are you sure it doesn't just seem that way because of the larger gas tank on the SQ5? The EPA ratings for the SQ5 are worse than for the S4, and this makes sense - much heavier car, more aggressively-tuned engine.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove both the TDI and the SQ5 before deciding on the SQ5. I previously had a 3.2 2012 Q5. The TDI felt an awful lot like my 3.2... while the SQ5 was amazingly smooth and deceptively fast. I catch myself not realizing how fast I accelerated and above the speed limit. The SQ5 is very very fun as a daily drive. The TDI was great too... a great ride... but I wouldn't describe it as "fun."

I had 20" wheel on my 2012 Q5 and the SQ5 with 21" feels marginally firmer. Then again, I am in So Cal with good roads.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by visualguy
Are you sure it doesn't just seem that way because of the larger gas tank on the SQ5? The EPA ratings for the SQ5 are worse than for the S4, and this makes sense - much heavier car, more aggressively-tuned engine.
It did cross my mind, but the tank is not really a whole lot bigger. I probably owe it to not pushing it very hard, though by no means I baby the motor.

Quick Reply: SQ5 suspension much too stiff?