Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Static Cornering Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I ordered my '14 TDI, I remember that the Premium+ comes with the Audi xenon plus headlight system, which is not the adaptive system that comes on the Prestige. The P+ system has bi-xenons with active leveling, but the high and low-beams on the Adaptive system turn, and this also includes the halogen cornering light that comes on while turning at speeds below about 20mph. Great feature!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhumph88
When I ordered my '14 TDI, I remember that the Premium+ comes with the Audi xenon plus headlight system, which is not the adaptive system that comes on the Prestige. The P+ system has bi-xenons with active leveling, but the high and low-beams on the Adaptive system turn, and this also includes the halogen cornering light that comes on while turning at speeds below about 20mph. Great feature!
I wasn't aware offered a "turning" projector solution, equivalent to BMW's AHL (adaptive headlights).

As far as I know there's just one option for xenons: AFS - this just adjusts leveling based on speed and environment so as not to blind oncoming traffic but give the most illumination. And currently the audi website lists two possible headlights: xenon plus, and adaptive xenon plus (std. on prestige).

Someone chime in if my understanding is incorrect

Edit: as for the halogen cornering light, you're spot on. even the configurator shows the cornering light only when prestige (with adaptive HLs) is selected, otherwise it's not there. So seems like only AFS lights have it.

Last edited by yakev724; 11-17-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigivn
I have these lights in my 2013 Q5 in Canada. Is there a way to turn ON that halogen bulb while standing at rest? I tried blinkers and turning the wheel but nothing. Thx
Finally see these come on at slow turns (without blinker). What is interesting they come on fast but dim slowly.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yakev724
I wasn't aware offered a "turning" projector solution, equivalent to BMW's AHL (adaptive headlights).

As far as I know there's just one option for xenons: AFS - this just adjusts leveling based on speed and environment so as not to blind oncoming traffic but give the most illumination. And currently the audi website lists two possible headlights: xenon plus, and adaptive xenon plus (std. on prestige).

Someone chime in if my understanding is incorrect

Edit: as for the halogen cornering light, you're spot on. even the configurator shows the cornering light only when prestige (with adaptive HLs) is selected, otherwise it's not there. So seems like only AFS lights have it.
Correct- they make it confusing with the naming of the systems, but the Xenon Plus and Adaptive Xenon Plus are different systems. Looking for that extra bulb in the headlight assembly is one of the only ways I can tell a P+ from a Prestige walking by it in a parking lot! (Too observant for my own good...)
Old 11-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by yakev724
...As far as I know there's just one option for xenons: AFS - this just adjusts leveling based on speed and environment so as not to blind oncoming traffic but give the most illumination...Someone chime in if my understanding is incorrect...
This is incorrect. There are two different systems. Xenon which is offered on the P+ models, and xenon with AFS (Advanced Frontlighting System). In North America all xenon headlights on every make and model of vehicle are auto leveling to make sure that other drivers are not dazzled. In the case of Audi models, the cars come with leveling sensors on the suspension which communicate with each of the headlamp control modules through either the cars leveling system control module, or the cars central electronics computer. The cars predominantly need to use auto leveling because there isn't a separate bulb for high and low beam. When you flick your high beam stalk, you are actually activating an internal shutter that moves out of the way allowing for more light to pass through the projector lens. If there wasn't a leveling system, it would look as if you were constantly flashing other drivers every time you drove over some sort of inconsistency in the road. As far as xenon headlamps with AFS, they have the leveling system as mentioned above as well as additional motors responsible for swiveling the projectors left and right. This left and right movement is variable and changes with data not only from the cars steering angle sensor, but also the speed sensor too. The frustrating part? If you order any Volkswagen car and opt for xenon headlamps, you automatically get AFS. At Audi, they have dumbed them down and made two versions. If you want the AFS, you're gonna have to shell out for the prestige model.

Addition: The static cornering bulbs are in between the blinker and the projector lens in the headlight. They are also speed and steering angle dependent. Some vehicles utilize the fog lights for this feature. Some vehicles will have the lights come on automatically when you turn on a blinker. I particularly notice them when I'm taking a slow right/left turn at an intersection or pulling into my driveway. I actually do not like them because of the standard halogen color of the light drowning out the beautiful 4300K white xenon light. I plan on swapping them out for a dipped halogen bulb that will closely match the stock xenons.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 11-20-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
If you want the AFS, you're gonna have to shell out for the prestige model.
In Canada, you can order it as standalone option for 300$ on Progressiv trim. It's standard on Technik trim.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is incorrect. There are two different systems. Xenon which is offered on the P+ models, and xenon with AFS (Advanced Frontlighting System). In North America all xenon headlights on every make and model of vehicle are auto leveling to make sure that other drivers are not dazzled. In the case of Audi models, the cars come with leveling sensors on the suspension which communicate with each of the headlamp control modules through either the cars leveling system control module, or the cars central electronics computer. The cars predominantly need to use auto leveling because there isn't a separate bulb for high and low beam. When you flick your high beam stalk, you are actually activating an internal shutter that moves out of the way allowing for more light to pass through the projector lens. If there wasn't a leveling system, it would look as if you were constantly flashing other drivers every time you drove over some sort of inconsistency in the road. As far as xenon headlamps with AFS, they have the leveling system as mentioned above as well as additional motors responsible for swiveling the projectors left and right. This left and right movement is variable and changes with data not only from the cars steering angle sensor, but also the speed sensor too. The frustrating part? If you order any Volkswagen car and opt for xenon headlamps, you automatically get AFS. At Audi, they have dumbed them down and made two versions. If you want the AFS, you're gonna have to shell out for the prestige model.

Addition: The static cornering bulbs are in between the blinker and the projector lens in the headlight. They are also speed and steering angle dependent. Some vehicles utilize the fog lights for this feature. Some vehicles will have the lights come on automatically when you turn on a blinker. I particularly notice them when I'm taking a slow right/left turn at an intersection or pulling into my driveway. I actually do not like them because of the standard halogen color of the light drowning out the beautiful 4300K white xenon light. I plan on swapping them out for a dipped halogen bulb that will closely match the stock xenons.
Thanks for writing that out.

I miswrote what I originally meant to say - that there was one "option" for xenons (in addition to the base), so this is in fact what I had assumed.

I didn't know that AFS also swiveled left/right, though. Definitely one of my favorite features of my recent BMWs.

I'm sure there's a reason for why they aren't all AFS (like the VW and BMW equivalents) - hopefully the newer gen cars all get these features. The 50 yo DOT regulation on headlights and reflectors/side markers is a bit ridiculous imo, keeps newer tech from hitting the US (like BMW's new laser lights) and I'm sure influences future model offerings + R&D.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just noticed the other day that mine stopped working.

Has anyone figured out what to look for in VCDS to ensure it's enabled?
Old 12-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
I just noticed the other day that mine stopped working.

Has anyone figured out what to look for in VCDS to ensure it's enabled?
I'm going to assume that you are referring to the static cornering lights and not the adaptive headlights. In either case, your headlamp switch must be in the auto position.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to assume that you are referring to the static cornering lights and not the adaptive headlights. In either case, your headlamp switch must be in the auto position.
Correct, static cornering lights.
I always keep my headlight switch in the auto position and it's not working. Tried all other positions for giggles and still no go.
No issues with adaptive headlights however.

Next stop is the dealer, but I'd like to make sure it's not something as simple as a VCDS toggle before I go there.

Quick Reply: Static Cornering Lights