Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts
Default The emergency key was in his car....

Originally Posted by alfredck
I actually find this new fact to be more disturbing than when we assumed it was towed. Is it that easy for someone to not just break in the car but also start it and drive away? Isn't there an alarm plus an immobilizer? Or do you think they used the emergency key in the glove box?

I live in Chicago and it's not uncommon to hear about thieves smashing windows and stealing things out of glove boxes, but it sounds kind of unusual to start the car and drive it somewhere else and then steal the stuff. Guess I'll never understand a thief's rationale.
and used that.

There are probably countless Audi owners that leave their emergency key in the glove box. Now think about this the emergency key for the owner who lost his FOB to get you into his "locked" car and start it. If it is in the glove box how are you going to get to the key to unlock the car, smash the window to retrieve the emergency key? The idea of the emergency key is to keep it in your wallet or hide it outside the car somewhere, the key adpater to start the car is kept in the glove box.

On the alarm roll your window down, lock the Q5, reach inside and open the door, the alarm goes off and the sound volume is lower than your alarm clock!!! The thief probably will be laughing so hard at such a joke of an alarm, he won't be able to steal your car. I read once that europe has thses noise standards and that's the loudest the alarm is allowed.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Bob-
" the alarm goes off and the sound volume is lower than your alarm clock!!!"
Would you know where the "chirper" actually is or what it looks like? That could be easily interfaced to a real alarm horn. I'd put that on my ToDo list.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Redd, alarm location....

Originally Posted by Redd
Bob-
" the alarm goes off and the sound volume is lower than your alarm clock!!!"
Would you know where the "chirper" actually is or what it looks like? That could be easily interfaced to a real alarm horn. I'd put that on my ToDo list.
Ill need to look....

Under the windshield plenum chamber cover, next to the washer fluid container.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 04-06-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
On the alarm roll your window down, lock the Q5, reach inside and open the door, the alarm goes off and the sound volume is lower than your alarm clock!!! The thief probably will be laughing so hard at such a joke of an alarm, he won't be able to steal your car. I read once that europe has thses noise standards and that's the loudest the alarm is allowed.
All four of my U.S. Audis have had pretty loud alarms. Not as loud as an football game air horn but loud enough to be heard by the neighbors across the street if parked in my driveway. Maybe it's a Q5 thing?
Old 04-06-2014, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My A4's had alarm clock grade alarms...

Originally Posted by snagitseven
All four of my U.S. Audis have had pretty loud alarms. Not as loud as an football game air horn but loud enough to be heard by the neighbors across the street if parked in my driveway. Maybe it's a Q5 thing?
if the normal horns blew they would be louder. I would never hear my Q5 alarm inside the house. Our Subarus have/had factory ear piercing alarms that would wake up the town.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something just occurred to my. The Audi advertises when it's unlocked. When the car is parked but not locked the mirrors are down. When locked they are up. If you what to find an unlocked one to steal (I'm certain mine was locked) just drive around looking for one with the mirrors down.

Is there a way to program the car to always retract the mirrors when off?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom
Something just occurred to my. The Audi advertises when it's unlocked. When the car is parked but not locked the mirrors are down. When locked they are up. If you what to find an unlocked one to steal (I'm certain mine was locked) just drive around looking for one with the mirrors down.

Is there a way to program the car to always retract the mirrors when off?
this should be controlled by the MMI settings.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
this should be controlled by the MMI settings.
The MMI setting is only to have the mirrors to retract automatically which occurs when the car is locked. There's no MMI setting to have them retract if the car is just turned off but not locked which I think is what's he's asking. Perhaps there's a coding change with VCDS but I've not read of anyone doing this.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The MMI setting is only to have the mirrors to retract automatically which occurs when the car is locked. There's no MMI setting to have them retract if the car is just turned off but not locked which I think is what's he's asking. Perhaps there's a coding change with VCDS but I've not read of anyone doing this.
if that's what he is asking. I don't think VCD has an option for that feature. I don't like the feature when it comes to winter.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

On a side note, I'm not sure about the Q5, but in the A6 if so equipped, the power mirrors can be retracted manually when the mirror control selector is turned to the bottom position up to a certain driving speed, when they will unfold automatically. I've found this useful when pulling up close to a drive through pay station like an ATM or loading on a tight ferry ramp (of all places).

I read in an AW post last year where a "helpful" woman in a parking lot noted they were retracted as the driver was getting into the car and said, "here, let me pull the mirror out for you" and yanked it open, destroying the motor. Ouch.

Quick Reply: Stolen