Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Subwoofer Upgrade Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Upgrade Project

I got my Q5 last June and love everything about the vehicle except for the B&O stereo. It's been discussed enough across the forums and I agree with the consensus that it sounds fine for classical and jazz but is disappointing for rock and rap due to the lack of bass. The tiny (6.5") low-quality subwoofer and the amp driving it are not really adequate.

This is going to be a multi-phase DIY project starting with the addition of a new Rockford Fosgate 500W Punch amp:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575PB50....html?tp=35834

I have already received the amp and have hooked it up to the existing 6.5" subwoofer while I am awaiting the arrival of a new JL Audio 10" subwoofer:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13610W1...-4.html?tp=111

The amp is very compact and fits easily in the spare tire compartment under the cargo area floor. The car battery is underneath the spare tire making it extremely convenient to get power to the amp. No running cables through the car and firewall! BTW I found it on eBay at a very good price.

With the Punch amp hooked up to the existing 6.5" subwoofer there is definitely a lot more bass. However, it is still not great audio quality. When the 10" JL Audio subwoofer arrives I will put it temporarily in a carpeted box enclosure while I build a fiberglass enclosure to fit under the cargo area floor (where the storage tray is) to make it a stealth install.

When I get the JL Audio subwoofer I'll post an update. I've really got my hopes up...
Old 05-20-2012, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good (pun intended). I've noticed the lack of base myself, but am not that worried about it to do as much as you. If you are using spare and cargo areas for stealth install that should be awesome fit. Just don't ever get a flat tire!

Keep updating & good luck.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looking forward to the project!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the update. I am definitely interested in your project as I am thinking about replacing the whole system. One question - how are you getting the signal to the Punch?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by georgehf
Thanks for the update. I am definitely interested in your project as I am thinking about replacing the whole system. One question - how are you getting the signal to the Punch?
The amp accepts either speaker level inputs or low level (RCA) inputs, so I simply cut the cable going to the B&O subwoofer and connected this to the amp. It was so easy - the amp is mounted in the space in the left corner next to the spare tire, which is right where the cable enters this compartment. No routing of cables whatsoever.

Then I connected speaker wire from the output of the amp to the existing 6.5" subwoofer. This is temporary until the new JL Audio subwoofer arrives.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sleater_kinney_rox
The amp accepts either speaker level inputs or low level (RCA) inputs, so I simply cut the cable going to the B&O subwoofer and connected this to the amp. It was so easy - the amp is mounted in the space in the left corner next to the spare tire, which is right where the cable enters this compartment. No routing of cables whatsoever.

Then I connected speaker wire from the output of the amp to the existing 6.5" subwoofer. This is temporary until the new JL Audio subwoofer arrives.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I had hoped that you found a way to get line level out of the head unit some how.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

thats cool. now that i know the battery is in the trunk i will do the same but without cutting the connector and using the factory sub housing. i plan on getting a better 6.5 to put in it with an small amp.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by georgehf
Thanks, that's what I thought. I had hoped that you found a way to get line level out of the head unit some how.
Here is where I would look first for a line level signal from the head unit. The silver block with ridges is the existing subwoofer amp. It is ridiculously large for the small amount of power it delivers. I put a ruler in there and the length is 9.5". It is tempting to just pull it out and put the smaller Punch amp in, but I want to leave the factory amp and subwoofer in place so that I can reconnect easily in the future when I sell the Q5. Also, a vertical orientation is not the best for heat dissipation. In fact the B&O amp has a tiny built-in fan, part of the reason it is so large.
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have no lack of bass issues with my audi stereo. I guess the B&O is actually a step down since mine sounds great with all types of music. Probably a good heads-up for people shopping around for a Q5 - stick with the stock audi system; it sounds better.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PeerBlock
I have no lack of bass issues with my audi stereo. I guess the B&O is actually a step down since mine sounds great with all types of music. Probably a good heads-up for people shopping around for a Q5 - stick with the stock audi system; it sounds better.
Not true. Listen and decide for yourself. Audio preferences are personal. The B&O was well worth the $800 upgrade to me.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Upgrade Project