Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sunroof rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sunroof rattle

I saw earlier posts about a sunroof rattle. I'm 1900 miles in and unfortunately, mine is starting to rattle. Trying to find out what the fix is for this.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by njjoe
I saw earlier posts about a sunroof rattle. I'm 1900 miles in and unfortunately, mine is starting to rattle. Trying to find out what the fix is for this.
silicone-spray can do miracles !
it's a try and error process, but most rattles come from plastics rubbing on each other, especially the hard plastic round the rear window
mine it now absolutely silent
note : actual rattle comes sometime from another place than where we (think) hear it !
Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

This was the suggestion from kleinbus to me..I hope he doesn't mind me posting this here.

"Forget the silicone crap (as silicone actually goes through the paint to the steel and if you ever crash, they will have hard time to repaint it as paint does not attach to parts contaminated by silicone)
Google " Würth rubber care gel stick " silicone free door gasket lubricant." - I haven't tried this but plan on giving this a try.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q5 Sunroof rattle

I am also a new owner and have the rattle right at the 'close' point of the roof, up front. Can anyone tell me thay have hade the same problem and found a fix?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bayridgeguy
This was the suggestion from kleinbus to me..I hope he doesn't mind me posting this here.

"Forget the silicone crap (as silicone actually goes through the paint to the steel and if you ever crash, they will have hard time to repaint it as paint does not attach to parts contaminated by silicone)
Google " Würth rubber care gel stick " silicone free door gasket lubricant." - I haven't tried this but plan on giving this a try.
how could a product that you wash off your hands with soap go through many layers of (baked) paint ?
btw : I preconised it on plastics...
Old 10-13-2009, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It can't...

Originally Posted by guyguyke
how could a product that you wash off your hands with soap go through many layers of (baked) paint ?
If it actually penetrated the paint all the way to the metal it would cause the paint to lift off the metal surface. And anyone that attempts to paint a bare metal surface without cleaning it with "Prepsol" or similar product is asking for trouble. Common sense rules...keep using yours!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by guyguyke

It seems I'm from another planet coz' the industry I work, makes clear silicone is not touched with bare hand as it goes through skin and it not healthy in long run.

Go and talk to any professional industrial or car painter, to the guys who make their work to be proud off, not common for profit only crap I see too much.. and they will tell you pretty much "keep the darn silicone" as far as possible from any paint surface.

First time I heard no silicone for paint surfaces about 20 years ago when I got my truck driving license,so if silicone is still recommended where you live, then you go your way and I go mine.... cheers

For ****s and giggles, I painted few hobby cars of mine and learnt hands on how silicone fu#%s up the surface...

Another time I had pressured air mask on and watching industrial painter showing me what happens with silicone.

And anyone that attempts to paint a bare metal surface without cleaning it with "Prepsol" or similar product is asking for trouble. Common sense rules...keep using yours
You boys with your little toys, mind showing me how to clean 18 wheeler tractor or trailer, or maybe lets go little bit bigger, show me how to clean building size paper machine frame...

They don't clean them with "prepsoil" and there comes the prefessionality to use proper equipment and material.

This is why I leave painting to the professionals I work with, it is not just talk, they actually make it work...

Last edited by kleinbus; 10-13-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by kleinbus
It seems I'm from another planet coz' the industry I work, makes clear silicone is not touched with bare hand as it goes through skin and it not healthy in long run.
another planet...agreed
we're not talking Cyanide, Chlordane, DDT or Mercury here...it's silicone lube. It's never killed anyone that I know of. And yes, it should be removed from metal before painting. I just don't get the part about penetrating through paint and contaminating the metal...never seen(or heard) any documentation to support that claim.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the great discussion on silicone. Anybody out there get this problem addressed by the dealer?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by njjoe
Thanks for the great discussion on silicone. Anybody out there get this problem addressed by the dealer?
Response from dealer depends of dealer you happen to visit...

There is dealers who cares and tries to help you and then there is dealers that don't give a crap as long as engine runs and wheels don't fall off.

If yours is constant rattle then you should go and ask them to have a spin with you. Before you do that, drive around the dealer roads to see does it rattle there so you wouldn't look fool if they would take the car to spin by themselves and could not replicate the issue.

Quick Reply: Sunroof rattle