Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Taking a Q5 from USA to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking a Q5 from USA to Europe

Hi,

I am planning in taking my Q5 from the USA back to Europe.

Anyone knows which modifications are needed?

I know that the back LED lights turning signals should be orange (and they are red in the USA). Any thoughts on how to convert it?

thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2012, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I forgot to add:

Its a 2.0 Premium plus, with the Navigation Package
Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Depends on the country you will be registering it in and also don't forget about all the fees to import it.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I will take it to Portugal ( a gift for my family). I assume that in the European Union there will be similar rules?

I don't care so much about the taxes (I've checked that already), I am just worried that the conversions needed might be hard or impossible. It needs to be street legal
Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not sure about Portugal, but in Poland I don't think you would have to change anything. Both countries are in the EU so it should be similar.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by _zZz_
Hi,

I am planning in taking my Q5 from the USA back to Europe.

Anyone knows which modifications are needed?

I know that the back LED lights turning signals should be orange (and they are red in the USA). Any thoughts on how to convert it?

thanks in advance
You can buy the euro taillights from europrice.us and install them yourself.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your navigation package will not work and will need to be changed to the European maps, which I'm not even sure is possible. I would think your instrument panel would need to be changed, to show kph as the primary unit on the speedo. Headlight and side marker light requirements are also different, I believe.

You're doing this, why?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Heresy64
Your navigation package will not work and will need to be changed to the European maps, which I'm not even sure is possible. I would think your instrument panel would need to be changed, to show kph as the primary unit on the speedo. Headlight and side marker light requirements are also different, I believe.

You're doing this, why?

The Navigation is a different unit all together and can be found on ebay.de. Or from other European vendors. Same thing for the taillights and headlights and probably save you some many instead of buying through europrice. Not sure on anything else for Portugal, I only know some things about the German side of importing cars.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks for the answers.

I don't care about the navigation, i just bought that pack to have the rear view camera and parking sensors.

If I change the tail lights to the ones at europrice, does it require any "Sw" update?

thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just wondering if this topic is still interesting for you?

I am currently importing my Q5 to Germany, too and have collected plenty of information so far.

- Tax: No need to pay any tax, if you lived outside the EU for at least one year and own the car for 6 months or more.

- Changes:
Pretty different from country to country, even from state to state within for example Germany. two points will need to be changed with European regulations, unless you are able to get an exception entered into your registration (worth a try and only works if you declare your car as moving goods with customs...):
-> Rear turn signals have to be amber (That is for the LED ones as well as for the lower ones in the bumper, even so they aren't used during driving!)
-> In combination with Xenon, auto levelling and headlight washers have to be installed

Additionally, the front positioning lights have to be disabled via VAG com or changed from amber to white.

If you want to use Navigation, SUWtech and some other company in Poland are able to reprogram and flash the unit to European standards to run European maps. That's much cheaper than changing the head unit: http://suwtec24.de/Audi-MMI-3G-Navig...uf-Europa-2011

FM radio frequencies are slightly different in Europe than in the US. Some US models need to have the radio tuner changed to receive all stations.

HomeLink frequencies are different than in the US, so also there it's not certain that all garage door openers will be recognized.

If the tail lights from Europrice are working, that may be the best option to install them. Taking EU models and installing them in a US model is said to be impossible, gives coding errors and needs adapters.

Did anybody try the Europrice tail lights yet?

Greetings from Munich,
Markus

Quick Reply: Taking a Q5 from USA to Europe