Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tank Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Fuel Pump

Hey all,
My fuel pump filter on my 2009 Q5 was cracked and leaking so I'm replacing the filter. My question is very specific. After reinstalling everything, my car wouldn't start and I got a tank error in the display. Digging back in there, I pulled everything out and noticed this line with the tank end loose. I know it belongs down in the tank but, reaching down there, I can't feel a fitting for it, so I don't know if there's one I'm missing or if this line is just supposed to hang open in the fuel. It's the long yellowish line in the picture. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

long yellow line
Old 08-15-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-15-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you have air in your fuel system. You may need to bleed the fuel system. I am attaching the fuel system manual for diesel. If you need gasoline manual, someone else can provide.
Attached Files
Old 08-15-2018, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

That is called the suction jet pump, that's attached to the fuel delivery unit.

The manual states that the suction pump should be pulled slightly upward, remove from fuel delivery unit, (leaving it in the tank?), them remove the fuel delivery unit.

I sure hope for you that the other end of the suction pump hose must not be attached to something in the tank, that would be the worse nightmare!

No other diagrams in the service manual shows where the other end of the suction pump hose goes.........

Good luck!!!!!

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 08-15-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd suggest a cheap waterproof borescope to take a look inside the tank and see if anything really is there for the other end. If there's nothing in sight, perhaps (despite the name) this is a fuel *return* hose of some kind? And it is just dropping excess fuel back in the far corner of the tank?
Old 08-17-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
I'd suggest a cheap waterproof borescope to take a look inside the tank and see if anything really is there for the other end. If there's nothing in sight, perhaps (despite the name) this is a fuel *return* hose of some kind? And it is just dropping excess fuel back in the far corner of the tank?
I would rethink using a "cheap" borescope idea. There are gas fumes inside that tank, any spark from a cheap borescope camera circuit, or the lighting, could end up with a serious fire, or worse, explosion!

Best thing to do is contact a tech at an Audi dealership, and maybe hewould tell you if the hose other end does connect to something, or just hangs down in the tank.

Seeing that the service manual tells you to disconnect the suction pump with that hose from the main fuel delivery unit and just let is lay in the opening sort of suggests that the other end of the hose is attached to something in the tank, otherwise the pump and hose would fall to the bottom of the tank.

But who knows.........
Old 08-17-2018, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm with you on that, Bob. But if it is waterproof, it should be reliably vaporproof for one use. And there's nothing really "sparky" in them. If it isn't flickering and blinking...it should be a solid circuit, and reasonably safe. Of course, you would also only be using brass or bronze tools around a fuel tank anyway, yes?(G)
Old 08-17-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
I'm with you on that, Bob. But if it is waterproof, it should be reliably vaporproof for one use. And there's nothing really "sparky" in them. If it isn't flickering and blinking...it should be a solid circuit, and reasonably safe. Of course, you would also only be using brass or bronze tools around a fuel tank anyway, yes?(G)
Yes there could be "sparky" things in there. LED light (they do burst sometimes), camera chip/connections, etc. all cheaply made in China.

I would add...... Use at Your Own Risk................

Old 08-17-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes Bob but remember Redd is our resident pyromaniac.He appreciates a good blaze, particularly it involves something German !
Old 08-17-2018, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Yes Bob but remember Redd is our resident pyromaniac.He appreciates a good blaze, particularly it involves something German !
Good German Beer..........gives you a lot of inflammable gas!

Quick Reply: Tank Fuel Pump