Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Thinking about getting a used 2010 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a used 2010 Q5

Thinking about getting a used 2010 Q5 Premium Plus.
What sort of things should I check before pulling the trigger?
It has 87,299 miles, and the 3.2L V6 engine.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

To start: transmission serviced? de-carbon? oil consumption issues? Damage history?

What do the service records look like, Random?
Old 01-23-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Reading through the free Carfax report, I do not see transmission service listed as having been done.
It is at an Audi Dealer, they bought it at an Auction.
It was originally in New York state, and I live in Missouri.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The CarFax report does show regular oil changes, and the water pump being replaced.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just traded in a 2010 Q5 Premium Plus - great car! I had it serviced a few months ago and was told the power steering pump was leaking - a $1,500 fix at the dealership! Audi did give an extended warranty for the carbon issue - 10 year, 120K miles I believe. Mine was "de-carboned" at about 56K miles - very intensive and expensive process if not covered under warranty. If it was regularly serviced, has decent tires/brakes, it's worth it. You should pull the 2010 Q5 maintenance schedule just to see if any major service was either done or missed. I wasn't aware of any trans service. Oil consumption on my 3.2 was a quart between oil changes (every year or 10K, and I usually added a quart at 7K miles).
Old 01-23-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for reply.
Is the "Decarbon" process something required for all 3.2 engines, or only 3.2 engines in the Q5?
Old 01-23-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Generally all 3.2L engines. Not unique to the Q5.

Our 2006 A6 is fitted with the 3.2L engine. Never been de-carboned. Rapidly approaching 140k miles. Runs like a champ. However, fuel economy is off compared to when we first got the car. Probably carbon.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

"Is the "Decarbon" process something required for all 3.2 engines" No it's sort of like taking a trip to Vegas some do and some don't and nobody really knows why.But you don't want to end up on the losing side of this issue.Otherwise it's a great engine and the fact that the water pump has been done is a big plus.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my 2010 Q5 (with 3.2L engine). I have 212,000 miles on mine. Never had a need for de-carboning. I have always used top tier 91 grade octane. Like others said, I go through about a quart of oil about every 10,000 miles. No major problems with the car. DRL, Water Pump, and Fuel recall were all done under warranty.

The power door locks have gone out (after warranty) on three out of the 4 doors. Local independent shop has replaced them for around $250 I think. The only really expensive repair was the sun screen that closes over the panorama sunroof came undone, and required replacement. Most other things have been simple wear and tear items such as brakes, shocks, control arm bushings (cheaper to replace the entire control arm than press out old bushings and press in new ones).

Recently had the 210,000 mile service done at Audi. They changed the plugs, and they still looked great with not much wear, burn, or buildup. This is the second time they have been changed on the car.

A few little things... the leather like coating on the center console has bubbled up in a few places (probably from the car living outside in hot Southern California sun for the first 4 years of its life). Also, some of the "chrome" on a few of the plastic pieces inside the car has rubbed off to reveal a hard white plastic underneath (most notably the center ring on the steering wheel, and a few places around the A/C Vents) - again probably due to the hot sun storage early in it's life. I had the airbag inflator replaced, (Takata) under recall, but the entire assembly should be replaced, but Audi doesn't know when new airbags will be available (if ever) for replacement. Occasionally, (about every other month or so), the MMI screen will freeze up. Usually turning off ignition, then turning it back on will reset this.

The engine still pulls strong, and is a fun car to drive. I have just recently started looking at new cars, not because anything is wrong with my Audi, but just knowing that mileage is getting up there, and would rather sell before anything really bad or big happens (not saying that anything bad will happen). This has been the most dependable and durable car that I have owned. I can highly recommend it. Friends are always surprised that my car is 8-1/2 years old with as many miles as it has. I do take care of my cars, and it is not perfect, but it is still very nice and comfortable. Just this weekend I test drove a brand new car and while it had a few more modern electrical/safety features, it was very comparable to my 8 year old Q5.

Good luck with your search, and I think you will be happy. I will recommend Audi to anyone.

-Andy
Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Followup post.
I ended up not getting the Q5.
I looked at it, and test drove it, but something seemed "off" about it.
Thanks to all that posted, you helped me know what to look for.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a used 2010 Q5