Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tow hitch on Q5

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow hitch on Q5

I am about to place an order for a 3.0 Q5 Prestige (s-line package/sport interior) and debating whether to add a tow hitch. The hitch is basically to support a trailer hitch bike/ski rack.

I realize that adding the Audi tow hitch requires cutting the rear bumper. (I also found out that the hitch is not really factory installed, it is actually a "port-installed" item - hopefully properly done.)

I suppose both bikes/skis can be mounted on the Q5's roof using the cross bars. Any thoughts/experience on mounting bikes/skis on the Q5? Also, is there any other non-permanent way to add a tow hitch without cutting the bumper?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Search for a "curt hitch". It is an aftermarket hitch that doesn't require cutting of the bumper. I have one on my Q for carry a bike rack.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Try here
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2839437
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2839850
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2836223

Last edited by spijun; 02-01-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Many thanks, very helpful information, especially the last link. So, if I understand correctly, the conclusion for the S-line bumper (i) the port install drops the whole plate in the bottom (so no bumper cutting involved) while the (ii) the dealer install cuts an (un-centered it seems) piece?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cgt2012
Many thanks, very helpful information, especially the last link. So, if I understand correctly, the conclusion for the S-line bumper (i) the port install drops the whole plate in the bottom (so no bumper cutting involved) while the (ii) the dealer install cuts an (un-centered it seems) piece?
That is essentially correct. I ordered the hitch with my 3.0T and there was no cutting. They even left the plate with the car. The dealer install is not really an option as it becomes prohibitively expensive.

I had the Curt hitch on my '11 and it sat below the bumper - not well integrated. I must say the 2013 factory (PIO) installed hitch is very well integrated and not such an eye-sore as the previous years.

I would say, go for it - only $800...

Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The reason for the off center cut is for the wiring harness. If you're just using it as a bike rack, they don't need to expose, or include, the harness.

Also, they might be able to just install a class 1 or 2 hitch. The class 33 is completely overkill for a bike rack.

But, it's nice to have the option to tow a trailer if you ever need to.

Mine actually came installed from the factory, special order. Retail was $800, but talked them down to $200 as part of the deal. It's a very nice hitch set up, very heavy duty.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you think you'll want a hitch, definitely negotiate it now. I saved some cash by installing mine myself (I cut the bumper with a razor blade - came out fine), but regret not getting it done at time of purchase "at cost." I've seen others with a Q5 that have the aftermarket hitches that bolt below, bottom out on steep driveways, which basically convinced me to go with the OEM option. I only use it for my bike rack (now), which is definitely overkill, but it's nice to know it has the option to tow, should I need it.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There was an 03 Q5 sLine parked in front of my house yesterday. Wondered who pulled my car out of the garage, for it was the same color as mine; quite ironic ;-)

Anyway, it had the factory hitch, but with the S-line, the lower valance is dark. Looked much better with the darker lower panel, couldn't really tell that the cut out was offset.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by antirich
There was an 03 Q5 sLine parked in front of my house yesterday. Wondered who pulled my car out of the garage, for it was the same color as mine; quite ironic ;-)

Anyway, it had the factory hitch, but with the S-line, the lower valance is dark. Looked much better with the darker lower panel, couldn't really tell that the cut out was offset.
Irrespective of the bumper color differences, does the placement of the tow hitch differ depending on the package selection?
So, say for a 3.0 Q5 with S-line sport package and Prestige (which includes side assist) is the hitch placement different (centered or un-centered, high/low)?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cgt2012
Irrespective of the bumper color differences, does the placement of the tow hitch differ depending on the package selection?
So, say for a 3.0 Q5 with S-line sport package and Prestige (which includes side assist) is the hitch placement different (centered or un-centered, high/low)?

All hitches should be centered on the car. If not, you towing experience will be 'interesting' at best.

What makes it look offset is the plug for the trailer's electronics. They need to make a cut on the left side of the receiver.

I guess they could have been more creative and just cut a small hole for the plug, instead of just widening the main cut out.

Quick Reply: Tow hitch on Q5