Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TPMS error code

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS error code

Hope some1 here can help me one of my tire stem valve broke and got a new replacement from Discount Tires they calibrate n installed but they can't clear the error code because they don't have the tools.
I went into the MMI and clear the tire pressure but that only clear the air pressure not the sensor in MIL "TPMS"
I have a OBDeleven and scan for error n got the code "01521" clear it through OBDeleven but it still come right back.
What do I need to do to reset the TPMS.
Do I need to disable and re-enable TPMS to reset.
What are my option here I am totally lost. See photos for the error.

The arrow1 pointing to the TPMS in the mil is the one I am trying to reset.

OBDeleven scan error code How do you program this to recognize.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

fyaajster You've got to let us know what year and country.Audi's generally use ABS sensor TP monitoring which doesn't require any "TPMS" valve type.But there are some exceptions.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:55 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Based on ºF, miles, and reference to Discount Tire I'll assume US. Also assume older generation with direct TPM.
That error code means the system did not recognize the newly replaced sensor or it is faulty. You would get the same fault if you put on wheels with no sensors at all.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

MurrayA4 and gk1
Here my car info:
2009 Audi Q5
USA
How can I make it so that the car will recognize the new TPMS.
Do i need to buy a TPMS and reprogram again. When DT put in the new TPMS sensor they already calibrate it.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by fyaajster
MurrayA4 and gk1
Here my car info:
2009 Audi Q5
USA
How can I make it so that the car will recognize the new TPMS.
Do i need to buy a TPMS and reprogram again. When DT put in the new TPMS sensor they already calibrate it.

I'm not sure about the US market but on the EU market since 2009 Audi uses indirect TPMS (ABS / ESP)
Spoiler

https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...itoring-system

https://www.audipeabody.com/audi-tpm...peabody-ma.htm

Last edited by spijun; 01-30-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:40 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
I'm not sure about the US market but on the EU market since 2009 Audi uses indirect TPMS (ABS / ESP)

2009 was year one for US Q5 it did indeed have direct TPMS back then.

fyaajster, I am not entirely sure how to make your car recognize the new sensor. The only experience I have with direct TPMS was back in the day I bought a winter set of wheels and tires and got them with the correct sensors from Tirerack. When I mounted them I just reset the TPMS according to procedure and it automatically recognized the sensors. The only thing I can think of is Discount Tire perhaps used the wrong sensor, there are several kinds and frequencies.
This is the Audi part # you would need 1K0907253D it looks like it is a 315Mhz sensor if they can provide you that information from the aftermarket one they installed.
Also keep in mind the sensors themselves do not have an infinite lifetime. The battery does eventually die even if they are only active while driving. 9+ years is a pretty good run and perhaps one of the other sensors coincidentally went dead.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

spijun, Thanks for the video but this MMI only reset the tire pressure which I already try in my Q5 and it doesn't clear the "TPMS" on the MIL.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Fyaaj, do you have access to VCDS? Someone could scan for you and you may get additional insight.

It could be the wrong sensor. You may have a dead sensor. The tire stores in the USA are generally required, by law, to be able to diagnose the TPMS and are not supposed to send you back out until faults are corrected.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Fyaaj, do you have access to VCDS? Someone could scan for you and you may get additional insight.

It could be the wrong sensor. You may have a dead sensor. The tire stores in the USA are generally required, by law, to be able to diagnose the TPMS and are not supposed to send you back out until faults are corrected.
Yes I do have VCDS but I don't know how to use it without direction I search online but the post was not explain well. I am still searching for a more detail explaining what to do in VCDS.
Anyway I am going to call DT and ask them that it did not solve my tire and see what they say and will report back next week.
If you do know any link to VCDS on how to clear the TPMS I am willing to try it.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Well, you want to do a full automatic scan and see how many errors there are. It will scan every module in the car. That's a very good starting point. Here's a good tutorial from ROSS TECH. This should be your next step.

Don't worry too much about clearing codes. Problems need to be resolved, otherwise the warning light just comes back.

Quick Reply: TPMS error code