Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TPMS Sensor Replacement Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Have you checked the tire pressures again when they are definitely cold?

Could other damage been done to the ABS sensor? One dragging brake can do this also.

It takes about an 8 psi loss in one tire to trigger the low pressure warning.

Have you scanned the Q5 for any error codes? If you don't have a scanner go to Advanced Auto, etc., they will scan for free.

Through the monitor/radio you can reset the monitoring benchmark values of TPMS, after you have inflated your tires to correct pressure values. Happend to me once that my TPMS went crazy. Had to relearn steering angle sensor.

Last edited by apoelistas; 03-18-2019 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

As Bob said scan for codes. I had the the part of the wheel bearing that covers the encoding ring come apart and cause many codes. The actual wheel bearing was fine btw.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
As Bob said scan for codes. I had the the part of the wheel bearing that covers the encoding ring come apart and cause many codes. The actual wheel bearing was fine btw.
Is it the safety ring that you have to press in, in order for the wheel bearing to slight on the axle shaft?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask your tire store if they can shave the tread on the new tire to the same depth of the other ones.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Moonlight-
What Bill said. Rashly assuming your wife didn't break the whole car (G) and the TPMS is just upset because one tire has more tread...a pro tire shop CAN shave the new tire to make it match the existing ones. Although, if your tire shop wasn't aware of the issues with AWD and tire sizes, they probably aren't "pro's".
I know that TireRack will shave tires before purchase, if your shop doesn't have the equipment, maybe call Tire Rack and ask them if they have someone in your area that can do this.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BillVT
Ask your tire store if they can shave the tread on the new tire to the same depth of the other ones.
GREAT IDEA Bill, thanks! Actually, it might not even come to that. I went to a tire store a few days ago just to check the wear on the other three tires for certain. For some odd reason, they were unable to find one of their tire wear measuring devices (they apologized profusely and said they usually have three in their drawer, and all three were missing). But at first look they said, yes, it looks like there's more than a 4/32 difference. But then, the manager used a ruler and measured centimeters, and did all the math, and came back saying the difference was about 3/32, so this may not be my problem after all. Later in the week I'll be taking it to an independent service place that does German cars and will have them scan for codes. I'll also request they measure the tires as well for a second opinion.

Last edited by Moonlightblue; 03-19-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info in this thread guys, thanks! I had to laugh when I read, "This kinda sucks, I hadn't budgeted for it." I'm learning that budgeting to own an Audi is a bit different than to own some other vehicles!
Old 03-19-2019, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scissorfighter
Good info in this thread guys, thanks! I had to laugh when I read, "This kinda sucks, I hadn't budgeted for it." I'm learning that budgeting to own an Audi is a bit different than to own some other vehicles!
it could be worse... I was looking at some BMW M-cars, sure looked like the unexpected expenses (is it unexpected if you can plan on needing new rod bearings around 75-100k?) can be major on them.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"used a ruler and measured centimeters, and did all the math,"
Nein! This is a German car and all measurements should be in millimeters. Centimeters are grossly inadequate for tread depth. And since there should be tread depth figures in millimeters for the proper German tires and cars...conversions back to Imperial fractions are simply not acceptable.
Might as well take a penny and see how far in Lincoln's head goes. I wonder, how many 32nd's of an inch wider does a tire grow, with every extra PSI you pump it up to?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
"used a ruler and measured centimeters, and did all the math,"
Nein! This is a German car and all measurements should be in millimeters. Centimeters are grossly inadequate for tread depth. And since there should be tread depth figures in millimeters for the proper German tires and cars...conversions back to Imperial fractions are simply not acceptable.
Might as well take a penny and see how far in Lincoln's head goes. I wonder, how many 32nd's of an inch wider does a tire grow, with every extra PSI you pump it up to?
I think I'd gotten that wrong. It think he did use millimeters. Regardless, I just returned from an independent shop in Ventura. They were great. The told me the new tire had 10/32 remaining, and the other three were all within 4/32 of the new one. One was 3.5/32 different, and the others were 4/32 different than the new tire. The mechanic who looked over my car, and scanned for codes (he sounded like he may even be German) insisted that he himself would buy new tires if the others were more than 2/32 different than the new one. I told him that Audi said that 4/32 was the cut off, he raised his eyebrows, shook his head, and sighed real heavy, saying, you're setting yourself up for having to do a LOT of work as a result of that discrepancy, I don't care what you read, I WOULD NOT leave the tires like that. Not sure I'm any closer to deciding what to do now. I guess finding a place to shave that one new tire might be solution.

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor Replacement Cost?