Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
View Poll Results: How many members have experienced these transmission issues...
felt it in the beginning and over time and went away
23.26%
had it serviced and problem resolved
4.65%
had it serviced and problem still exists
11.63%
have issues but doesn't really bother me
9.30%
my car is running great no transmission problems at all
51.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issues

Hi all,

I bought my P+ at the end of sept of 09 and after a month of driving I noticed the jerk/clunk, lag and lurching issues. I took it back to the dealer and they said that the car needs to "learn your driving style". I accepted that and drove it for another two months. Some of the problems have lessened but still there and happen randomly. I still feel the clunk at low speeds all the time (going from 10mph to almost a stop). I also feel a downshift from 3rd to 2nd (like the car is in one gear to low), but without the clunk. Last week I took it back to the dealer and got a service foreman to take a ride. He felt the low speed jerk/clunk and he stated that this is normal and is the "nature of the beast", whatever that means and there is nothing they can do about it. Only after me almost hitting a car because of the lurch and telling them that I don't safe, they took the car in for a more thorough inspection.

What I wanted to ask my fellow members is, is it normal to feel downshifting and jerking/clunking of gears?

Am I making a big deal of this? This is the feeling I am getting from my dealer.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nohcs
Hi all,

What I wanted to ask my fellow members is, is it normal to feel downshifting and jerking/clunking of gears?
NO
Am I making a big deal of this? This is the feeling I am getting from my dealer.
NO, You doing right thing
I know - sound like a robot - but we have more then few post on this forum (and I see few post on A4 forum) - please search.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes I have read the many posts of others and therefor surprised by the level of interest of my dealer/service department. Seems like others have getting software updates, mechatronics, or even new transmissions. My dealer keeps stating that everything is NORMAL. Hopefully, this time they will say something else than your car is at manufactured specs.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes I have read the many posts of others and therefor surprised by the level of interest of my dealer/service department. Seems like others have getting software updates, mechatronics, or even new transmissions. My dealer keeps stating that everything is NORMAL. Hopefully, this time they will say something else than your car is at manufactured specs.
In your situation, I'll be looking for second opinion from another Audi dealer.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your feedback TIME89

Maybe I should state my question a different way,

How many members have experienced these transmission issues...

-- felt it in the beginning and over time and went away

-- had it serviced and problem resolved

-- had it serviced and problem still exists

-- have issues but doesn't really bother me ( I don't expect anyone to pick this)

or my car is running great no transmission problems at all.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by nohcs; 01-28-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi all,

I bought my P+ at the end of sept of 09 and after a month of driving I noticed the jerk/clunk, lag and lurching issues. I took it back to the dealer and they said that the car needs to "learn your driving style". I accepted that and drove it for another two months. Some of the problems have lessened but still there and happen randomly. I still feel the clunk at low speeds all the time (going from 10mph to almost a stop). I also feel a downshift from 3rd to 2nd (like the car is in one gear to low), but without the clunk. Last week I took it back to the dealer and got a service foreman to take a ride. He felt the low speed jerk/clunk and he stated that this is normal and is the "nature of the beast", whatever that means and there is nothing they can do about it. Only after me almost hitting a car because of the lurch and telling them that I don't safe, they took the car in for a more thorough inspection.

I believe ductman here have the same issue, he is trying to get Audi to buy back his car.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2773892
Old 01-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes GMAN I am following DUCTMAN's posts and at least his service dept. acknowledges the issue. Mine flat out rejects my issues and makes me feel like my issues are nothing and normal. I leave feeling like I am bothering them.
I will take TIME89 suggestion of taking my car to another service dept. but I just have a feeling I will get the same response.
I just can't understand why any service dept. would say jerking/clunking, feeling downshifting every time I slow down is normal...it just doesn't make sense on a lux vehicle...unless they are trying to hide a problem on a larger scale of vehicles...just my thought
Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes GMAN I am following DUCTMAN's posts and at least his service dept. acknowledges the issue. Mine flat out rejects my issues and makes me feel like my issues are nothing and normal. I leave feeling like I am bothering them.
I will take TIME89 suggestion of taking my car to another service dept. but I just have a feeling I will get the same response.
I just can't understand why any service dept. would say jerking/clunking, feeling downshifting every time I slow down is normal...it just doesn't make sense on a lux vehicle...unless they are trying to hide a problem on a larger scale of vehicles...just my thought
I guess the transmission that came in last Friday didn,t work out too well, I was told by AOA that the vehicle at the latest would be done this past Wednesday, I e-mailed and called the dealer, no response, I e-mailed again today, finally received an answer, " transmission hasn"t come in yet, I am at 54 calendar days and counting , I am hoping with the new attorney that this saga will quickly come to an end and I will be receiving a repurchase, It is a shame , I really like the car but I can not take a chance having another Audi , especially more transmission issue keep surfacing, and AOA and the dealership have combined to make this a terrible experience, this is my second poor experience with Audi, I will now stay away from them forever.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ductman
I guess the transmission that came in last Friday didn,t work out too well, I was told by AOA that the vehicle at the latest would be done this past Wednesday, I e-mailed and called the dealer, no response, I e-mailed again today, finally received an answer, " transmission hasn"t come in yet, I am at 54 calendar days and counting , I am hoping with the new attorney that this saga will quickly come to an end and I will be receiving a repurchase, It is a shame , I really like the car but I can not take a chance having another Audi , especially more transmission issue keep surfacing, and AOA and the dealership have combined to make this a terrible experience, this is my second poor experience with Audi, I will now stay away from them forever.
Really sorry, man!
I start seeing more and more posts on S4 forum about water pump Overheated and towed to the dealer just now

As you can see from my revised signature - I move my ED to 2011. Post like yours was a big reason.

Last edited by TIME89; 01-28-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the update DUCTMAN. I hope that you get the result that you want and deserve and will keep us informed with your outcome.

Quick Reply: Transmission issues