Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Twin Turbo SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo SQ5?

I just chatted with a nice fellow today, with a 2015 SQ5. He mentioned that it was a twin-turbo, and the badge on the fender even said "V6TT" - but for the life of me, I've NEVER heard of that before. It was a brief exchange, and it wouldn't have been appropriate for me to ask him to pop the hood - although that would have answered this question right away.

I even jumped on the Audi USA site, and as expected, the 2016 SQ5 is still 3.0TFSI Supercharged.

So, what in the world is that guy driving? He was an older chap, and in no way stuck me as the type to be embellishing.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougnash
I just chatted with a nice fellow today, with a 2015 SQ5. He mentioned that it was a twin-turbo, and the badge on the fender even said "V6TT" - but for the life of me, I've NEVER heard of that before. It was a brief exchange, and it wouldn't have been appropriate for me to ask him to pop the hood - although that would have answered this question right away.

I even jumped on the Audi USA site, and as expected, the 2016 SQ5 is still 3.0TFSI Supercharged.

So, what in the world is that guy driving? He was an older chap, and in no way stuck me as the type to be embellishing.

Reminds me of a boss I had about 10 years ago. Great guy, but after buying a Honda Odyssey minivan (shudder) for his family, he maintained it had 340 HP. Of course I knew the real figure was 240 HP but waited until I had a new job to forward him some links from Edmunds.com, Car & Driver, etc. proving I was right all along.

Oh well, some people are just going to believe what they want to believe.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

The Rest of World SQ5 IS a twin turbo (actually called a bi-turbo) diesel. Steve
Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Next time pick the dude's brain. My son pulled up next to an Audi TTRS last week in Birmingham, Michigan and the guy brought it in through Canada somehow. Lucky him.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just for the record all our SQ5's here in Canada are the Supercharged version, no bi-turbo models available from Audi. Not to say one couldn't be brought in from EU but that's challenging, not impossible, but challenging.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's killing me that I didn't have him pop the hood. Dod we have the diesel SQ5 here? I'm pretty sure he bought the thing right down in SoCal, and nothing about the conversation indicated that the guy had pulled any strings to get an unusual model.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
Reminds me of a boss I had about 10 years ago. Great guy, but after buying a Honda Odyssey minivan (shudder) for his family, he maintained it had 340 HP. Of course I knew the real figure was 240 HP but waited until I had a new job to forward him some links from Edmunds.com, Car & Driver, etc. proving I was right all along.

Oh well, some people are just going to believe what they want to believe.
That's not it. He wasn't making a big deal about anything. Plus, I was the one who noticed that it had the "V6TT" badge on the side. And in every other regard, it was all SQ - grey gauges, carbon interior, front calipers, quad exhaust, etc.

I really wonder whether that was the diesel? But I he never mentioned anything about it being an "oil burner".
Old 09-12-2015, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

3.0 petrol engine exist only supercharged

3.0 diesel engine exist turbo and bi-turbo

Audi 3.0l V6 TDI Biturbo Engine
http://vwts.ru/pps/pps_604_audi_30l_...engine_eng.pdf

Last edited by spijun; 11-09-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
3.0 petrol engine exist only supercharged

3.0 diesel engine exist turbo and bi-turbo
I really wonder whether someone pulled a fast one on him, and simply stuck and extra "T" on the fender badges? I see no sign that Audi is selling the diesel model in any of the Q5 models here in the States, let alone the SQ5. But can anyone confirm?
Old 09-12-2015, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wonder whether someone pulled a fast one on him, and simply stuck and extra "T" on the fender badges? I see no sign that Audi is selling the diesel model in any of the Q5 models here in the States, let alone the SQ5. But can anyone confirm?
That would be more than just adding a T, as the official badge is 3.0T, unless you paid for the Supercharged badges.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo SQ5?