Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
View Poll Results: Did the Curt Hitch (13218) install on your Q5?
I ordered it, but haven't installed it yet.
50.00%
I attempted to install it myself, but was unsuccessful.
16.67%
My installer tried to install it, but was unsuccessful.
0%
I was successful in installing it myself.
16.67%
My installer was successful in installing the hitch.
16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Unable to install Curt Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to install Curt Hitch

I attempted to install the newly released Curt Hitch on my 2009 Q5 this weekend (model # 13218). Unfortunately, after following the instructions to the letter, I cannot get to where they want me to drill without physically removing the dual mufflers. I lowered the mufflers as they said, but simply could not drill the "access hole" because the muffler is in the way.

Also, the supplied carriage bolts would not have fit through the 17/32" hole that they tell you to drill. The hole would have to be larger than that to be able to be fished up through that hole and out the other.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has successfully installed this aftermarket hitch. I'm goint to return it and see if someone comes out with a better design.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There's another post in this forum about someone's successful Curt hitch install. When I read it and researched this hitch I decided if I went this route I was definitely going to get a pro to do the install.
This hitch does look like a good option for a bike rack or similar attachment but for a trailer the low height and complications to get the lights working are definite cons.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You may be refering to the Klienbus install

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=23838891 Lots of pics and great discussion.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plapoint
I attempted to install the newly released Curt Hitch on my 2009 Q5 this weekend (model # 13218). Unfortunately, after following the instructions to the letter, I cannot get to where they want me to drill without physically removing the dual mufflers. I lowered the mufflers as they said, but simply could not drill the "access hole" because the muffler is in the way.

Also, the supplied carriage bolts would not have fit through the 17/32" hole that they tell you to drill. The hole would have to be larger than that to be able to be fished up through that hole and out the other.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has successfully installed this aftermarket hitch. I'm goint to return it and see if someone comes out with a better design.
I installed the Curt Hitch myself and was successful. I dropped the exhaust all the way down. Almost to removing it by separating the two pipes near the center of the car (shifter position under the car). Yes you need to modify the carriage bolts to have them fit on the aluminum bumper channel.
All in all I installed the $200 hitch to cart my bikes around. I do not plant to tow a boat and I am happy with it. If you are not mechanically inclined or don't have tools, do not attempt to install this hitch. Pay Audi $1400 for your hitch.

If you need trailer light I would advise the Audi hitch kit with harness and control box. To buy the control box and harness separate you are looking at $300 to $500. I have no idea why a hitch set up is so expensive.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:16 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi ttr2002, I'd appreciate it if you can tell me where I can purchase the separate control box and harness, Audi parts in Nova Scotia and Maine can presently not supply it seperately from the Audi hitch.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrV
Hi ttr2002, I'd appreciate it if you can tell me where I can purchase the separate control box and harness, Audi parts in Nova Scotia and Maine can presently not supply it seperately from the Audi hitch.
I am having my Audi dealer look into it. He can get the control box separately for around $300. I assume he can get the harness as well. I think the issue is that Audi sells the trailer hitch as a package deal on the Q5. The same control box and harness must be used on the Q7, VW Tiguea/Torrege and Porsche. There are control boxes and harnesses on the net for the VW's