Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Weight Distribution Hitch & Sway Control RV Camper

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
You are aware that load capacity (which include occupants and cargo) of the Q5 is around 1000 lbs?

Impressive!
1047lbs to be exact.

Keep in mind that a properly set up weight distribution should take 1/3 or the tongue weight and push it back onto the trailer axles. The other 2/3 will be split between the two vehicle axles equally. So if I have a 1000lb tongue weight, once weight distribution is applied the loading on the Q5 will be about 670lbs leaving ~377lbs of capacity for me and the wife.

We carry all gear in the trailer with only very light items like coats and sweaters in the Q5.

Kevin
Old 03-02-2017, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by waninae39
did you get two sway control bars ie left and right. i ask because the eze-lift elite hitch kit combo comes with only one on the passenger side. your picture show the driver side
Yes, 2 Husky sway control bars, as mentioned in a previous post. 😀

Anything over a certain length should have 2 sway control bars connected. I think it's 24 feet.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the costruction of the factory hitch I'm positive that the pull (or push when braking) from a 4000+ lbs. trailer thru what it seems to be a 6 inch or so lever (drop from round bar) will generate far greater torque than any load equalizer hitch designed for 600 lbs. max. tongue weight. I wodn't worry about it even if we add the torque of the hitch (a small %) to the one generated by the trailer when braking hard. The reiforcement shown here is an overkill!
Old 11-21-2019, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How has this set up done for you? We have a 23 foot camper that weighs 3700 lbs and were wondering if we would need a weight distribution hitch as well.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gsimcox
How has this set up done for you? We have a 23 foot camper that weighs 3700 lbs and were wondering if we would need a weight distribution hitch as well.
WDH are a good idea no matter what. The problem with most of them is the disconnect part if you do it often like when taking a 2 week vacation and going many places and in some of them the backing up.. The Andersen hitch system.is the best in that respect......lift tong/hitch connected....disconnect one pin....disconnect camper/vehicle.....done.... but they cost about $500. I see them as a good investment.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard in other forums that you should not use the Weight Distribution Hitch on the Audi Q5 or Q7 bodies because they are a unibody vehicle. Can anyone elaborate on this? I found in the owners manual that states about using a weight carrying hitch but nothing a weight distribution hitch. Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure I am safe out on the road and doing the right thing while towing.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have heard in other forums that you should not use the Weight Distribution Hitch on the Audi Q5 or Q7 bodies because they are a unibody vehicle. Can anyone elaborate on this? I found in the owners manual that states about using a weight carrying hitch but nothing a weight distribution hitch. Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure I am safe out on the road and doing the right thing while towing.
There are all kind of statements about it pro and con. This is the way I see it. The design of the factory hitch does put more torque on the main bar of the hitch attached to the car than most because there' about 6" in between (lower) it and the hitch. Having said that, there's no way that a weight distribution hitch will put more torque or weight on the system than the weight/torque of the trailer when you hit a pothole, go over speed control bumps, brake, accelerate or turn at 65 mph. However...I do believe that whatever you can do to minimize the distance from the ball to the vehicle will help quite a bit. I'll push the square bar of the hitch into the square opening as far as it can go and drill a new hole if you have at least 1/2 nch between the new and old holes.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

We towed with this setup on the Q5 until spring of 2019. We found that the size and weight of the 28 foot Airstream was just a little much for the Q5 so we moved to a 2014 Touareg TDI. The Touareg offers that little extra bit of security and confidence. Not that we ever felt overwhelmed with the Q5, it just needed a little more attention and caution than the Touareg needs.
For your 3700 pound, 23 foot camper, I would definitely feel very comfortable towing it with the Q5 and a properly set up WD hitch. You likely don't need the extra reinforcements that I had done but it wouldn't hurt. I also had the shank shortened by drilling a new hole which brought it about 2 inches closer to the vehicle. This made a noticeable improvement in towing comfort.
I hope this helps.
Kevin
The following users liked this post:
gsimcox (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

The Q5 Tdi is certainly a capable tow machine, I do a lot with a 3700 ib cargo trailer, single axle, no brakes.It does really well but when you get into longer/heavier loads you have to really consider the wheelbase of the Q5 - not huge- because you don't want your load steering your car which it will.A 23 ft.camper shouldn't be too bad if you have good electric brakes well balanced to your Q5's.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another point of reference, I have a 2011 Q5 2.0T and we tow an Airstream 22' with it. We've driven all over the PacNW and have yet to lack power or ability, we can drive the speed limit or the limit of comfort anywhere we go. We do have a WDH on the trailer, and we are using the Prodigy RF wireless brake controller...so no modifications to the Q5 other than a dealer installed Audi hitch and wiring kit. We aren't full timing, but have probably towed about 4000 miles over 2 summers, including I-84 going east out of Pendleton (aka Cabbage Hill) a couple of times, Santiam Pass, and various other NW passes/grades without fault. We are usually held up by pickups towing that are not capable of maintaining speed on grades.

Quick Reply: Weight Distribution Hitch & Sway Control RV Camper