Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

.what leather is used in the sport seats? Some treatments cause damage/cracking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .what leather is used in the sport seats? Some treatments cause damage/cracking?

Seats liquid or dirt resistant? Treated from factory? Should we put Nikwax?
I just got a 2014 q5 S-Line 3.0t
Standard leather sport seat not the more expensive leather. My salesman said the regular leather was more durable and puncture resistant.
Chestnut Brown seats and door insert.
Should I put Snow Seal, Beeswax, Nikwax or some other leather treatment?
I get dirty and sweaty often.
I may at some time spill tea, water, or some other beverage at some point. I usually do not but my passenger and I are not perfect. I would rather be prepared and
not need it.
I searched seats and leather and did not find much, especially the standard leather. I did find a little on the real expensive leather.
I did not get vented seats because I did not want crumbs, fluids or whatever collecting in the seats. Also I figure it would tear more easily.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Boom
I did a butt-tone of research for cleaning and treating leather seats. Audis leather is a thicker leather. I have read several articles that say, "stay away from 2 in 1 cleaners". I actually came across a forum on her or on vwvortex and several people swear up and down on Lexol. I went to pepboys and picked up a cleaner and a conditioner. I vac all the dirst particles, then use the cleaner, followed by conditioner. I'm at 7k on the car with sports seats and they still look brand new.

Here is a link for the products.
Have you read this? http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=487330
These guys say it dries and cracks the leather!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnbikerva1
Seats liquid or dirt resistant? Treated from factory? Should we put Nikwax?
I just got a 2014 q5 S-Line 3.0t
Standard leather sport seat not the more expensive leather. My salesman said the regular leather was more durable and puncture resistant.
Chestnut Brown seats and door insert.
Should I put Snow Seal, Beeswax, Nikwax or some other leather treatment?
I get dirty and sweaty often.
I may at some time spill tea, water, or some other beverage at some point. I usually do not but my passenger and I are not perfect. I would rather be prepared and
not need it.
I searched seats and leather and did not find much, especially the standard leather. I did find a little on the real expensive leather.
I did not get vented seats because I did not want crumbs, fluids or whatever collecting in the seats. Also I figure it would tear more easily.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Boom
I did a butt-tone of research for cleaning and treating leather seats. Audis leather is a thicker leather. I have read several articles that say, "stay away from 2 in 1 cleaners". I actually came across a forum on her or on vwvortex and several people swear up and down on Lexol. I went to pepboys and picked up a cleaner and a conditioner. I vac all the dirst particles, then use the cleaner, followed by conditioner. I'm at 7k on the car with sports seats and they still look brand new.

Here is a link for the products.
Have you read this? http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=487330
These guys say it dries and cracks the leather!
I think the most important thing you can do to keep your leather looking good is to keep sweat off of the leather. Nothing deteriorates and cracks leather faster than having it soak up the salt from sweat. I don't think the brand of leather cleaner is nearly as important as keeping the seats clean, dry and out of the sun as much as possible. Do this as well as apply leather cleaners and conditioners every couple of months and you should be fine.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default +1 on Lexol

Per the post, I have used the standard Lexol cleaner and then conditioner for Audi leathers for last three models/generations I have owned (prior to that I had cloth). Works well and does not remove the finish and dyes. Cleans up steering wheel and shifter BTW too.

On the other hand, absolutely keep household cleaning products like 409 away from the leather surfaces--it will strip the finish and color with even modest use or scrubbing. Okay on the hard plastics that might get gummed up, but that's about it.