Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What are your gripes about the Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Forgot a few... None are deal breakers though.

Summer Tires on the S-Line... Who the hell puts summer tires on an SUV/Crossover?

HD size... SSD's are fairly cheap now, why can't they throw a 128GB HD in the dash.

No 2.0T (or better yet the Q5 concept that was 400+hp) here in the US. I'd be fine with a 3.0TDI or the S4 engine in it also.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
Forgot a few... None are deal breakers though.

Summer Tires on the S-Line... Who the hell puts summer tires on an SUV/Crossover?
Actually, there are quite a few that put summer tires on suvs...

Porsche does on both the Cayenne GTS and Cayenne Turbo.

BMW does on the X5 4.8 with sport package 21" wheels, the X5M and X6M

Mercedes does on the ML63 AMG

Land Rover does on the Range Rover Sport supercharged

Audi does on the Q7 S-line and Q5 S-line.

But yes, I agree, they should've at least given the option to order them with all-seasons for buyers in the snow belt. As a result, I've had to buy a second set of winter wheels and tires for my X5 4.8, my ML63, and now my Q5. Perhaps this was a blessing in disguise because based on past experience, dedicated winter tires will definitely give the Q5 far superior traction and braking in snowy and icy roads over all-seasons. If my S-line did come with all-seasons from the factory, my lazy self would've just settled with them for the winter months and I would never have benefited from the added safety of real winter tires.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

larryV, that's quite a "downgrade" from the ML63 to Q5 no?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it seems that there is lots of minor stuff, and this is also important. However I have not seen anyone say it handles badly, is crappy to drive, or does not goes where it was pointed.

Interesting - unless I missed something.

I haven't got mine yet, on order.... waiting waiting waiting.... so I can hardly comment
Old 12-15-2009, 02:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only real gripe is that the MMI is slow to wake up for the first few minutes when you start the car. The seat heater display on the MMI screen is the worst offender, but it happens when moving from function to function (e.g. from radio to media, or to the "Name" screen for calls). The wind noise and summer tire thing are annoyances as well.

That being said, this is my first Audi and my first German car and I have been blown away by the Q5. Fantastic handling, very refined, great driving dynamics. I drove everything under the sun looking for what the Q5 provides.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Ok, here's another one - again, not specific to the Q5 or Audi and that's the enormous amount of brake dust. It's the nature of the type of pads I guess, but I keep a high shine (most of the time) on my black 09 Q5, but take it to work and back and the wheels are needing a cleaning.
Right now my Q5 is being "taken apart" at the autobody shop (leafblower damage); miss it already!

Bob
Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yabba its a pity you even wrote that! Someone will search for Q5 and the bad bits of your sentence and now find it. Just wait until your Audi arrives to see how absurd a notion it is. Best of luck with yours when it does arrive. I hope you have many miles of excellent handling, pleasant to drive and always going where you point.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Welcome zaki... cool a/c #

Last edited by Jusforfun; 12-15-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah that brake dust is ridiculous but the brakes do work well!

I wish we got a diesel engine over here.

A standard tow hitch would be nice (if it had a bumper cover that would be even nicer)

if the manual mode were to the right instead of the left and if the sport more were just the manual mode in the middle.

power close rear hatch would be good.

if the windows could be remote from factory.

can't say many other gripes about it its a great car
Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think he meant it like that.
I think he meant that out of all the negatives they are only little niggles, and no one has mentioned anything about handling, usually someone says "I have come from a 3 series and it doesn't feel as poised" etc.
No **** Sherlock!!

It is testament to the Q5 that all negatives a minor.

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
yabba its a pity you even wrote that! Someone will search for Q5 and the bad bits of your sentence and now find it. Just wait until your Audi arrives to see how absurd a notion it is. Best of luck with yours when it does arrive. I hope you have many miles of excellent handling, pleasant to drive and always going where you point.

Quick Reply: What are your gripes about the Q5?