Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What's my Q5 trade in worth right now...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 3 months I have been looking for a used Q, 99.5% of the cars that come up for sale are dealer-owned vehicles. It seems no one wants to bother going through the process of selling their own car. I purchased used from a dealer because I wanted the Meteor gray, and because of the extended warranty. I didnt save much from buying new, but ultimately I got what I wanted. I think if you try selling yourself, you may be pleasantly surprised at what you might get. Otherwise, you're at their mercy.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shrad6
Well MTBERMAN looks like your source was giving you a very good offer with 33k. I received the most disturbing news today. A honda dealership came back with 30K and said there's only 2 comps out there for a 2011. Both of them have been on the west coast and in the 30k range. A "used car dealership" came back with mother freakin 28K!!!! Really a mofoing third of the cost in a year??????

I know that the first year your value takes a big hit, but this is ridiculous. That's over 15K lost in the first year. Sorry for my rant, but I'm pist I'm going to loose so much in so little time. While I absolutely love my Q and Audi in general, I wish I would have never bought it.

If you know someone who is looking at a Q5 let them know I took the hit for them.
That sucks, but that's the way it works. You bought retail, and they're offering you wholesale pricing. They're not Audi dealers, so they don't see the demand. They can't certify the car, and they are much less likely to resell the car quickly. They need to protect themselves for the worst case scenario . . . that they can't find a buyer and eventually take the car to auction. You might want to consider contacting some Audi dealers to see if they're interested in purchasing the car outright. You can also try advertising on this site. $34k or best offer sounds pretty tempting to me.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We traded in our 1 year old Q5 last year, we only lost about $5000 from what we paid. I would say the Q5 holds its value very well, you just need to know where to sell it.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely check with Audi Dealers, they know the value of the car. I traded my 2010 3.2L with 10k on the odo. They valued it in the high 30's. They had it listed on their website a few days later for only a couple grand less than what I originally paid. Within a week, it was sold. At the time, my dealer said that they couldn't get the CPO vehicles directly from Audi for the right price, so they were trying to buy back existing customer's cars. They were doing it with A4's too.

My point is that they know how quickly these cars sell, so they may pay more than a dealer of another brand.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eppoh7
Absolutely check with Audi Dealers, they know the value of the car. I traded my 2010 3.2L with 10k on the odo. They valued it in the high 30's. They had it listed on their website a few days later for only a couple grand less than what I originally paid. Within a week, it was sold. At the time, my dealer said that they couldn't get the CPO vehicles directly from Audi for the right price, so they were trying to buy back existing customer's cars. They were doing it with A4's too.

My point is that they know how quickly these cars sell, so they may pay more than a dealer of another brand.
+1

You have to go to a high end dealer. Toyota offered me 30k when my car was 1 year and 5k on the od. I laughed and he admitted they really didn't know where to price it so they threw out a lowball number.

With the way they sell, Audi might just buy it off you. Folks have had good luck with Lexus too. You really might want to try and sell it on your own. I took a GX to a Lexus dealer to see what they would buy it for. It was a joke and the guy I dealt with said they don't move that well. Stuck a for sale sign on it in our front driveway and I sold it 2 days later for several thousands more than the dealer offered.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:08 AM
Terlonz

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by hmn4858
+1

You have to go to a high end dealer. Toyota offered me 30k when my car was 1 year and 5k on the od. I laughed and he admitted they really didn't know where to price it so they threw out a lowball number.

With the way they sell, Audi might just buy it off you. Folks have had good luck with Lexus too. You really might want to try and sell it on your own. I took a GX to a Lexus dealer to see what they would buy it for. It was a joke and the guy I dealt with said they don't move that well. Stuck a for sale sign on it in our front driveway and I sold it 2 days later for several thousands more than the dealer offered.
Apologies, I should have been clearer when I said "taking it to dealers who are ready to buy." I meant dealers who handle similar cars, not Honda (or Toyota etc.) Stick with used Euro-car lots or new car Audi, Mercedes, VW, BMW, etc. stores. Regardless of the brand, look for similar (i.e. late model European) used vehicles in their inventory.

Most dealers are probably just going to call the Audi local store for a bid anyway. They're going to know the car when they hear "2011 Q5, white, nav, 23K miles". Also, if the bids seem low, please remember that these are very high miles for a higher-end 2011 car. Expect some low figures versus what others here got.

Keep in mind the tax advantage if you're in a sales tax area. I saved over $2500 in tax by trading. This made my net loss of moving from 2011 to 2012 less than $4500 instead of $7000 as I'd been expecting. But then my 2011 Audi only had 7400 miles on it.