Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whine

My 2012 2.0T has about 4100 miles. I love it! However, at less than a cruse I get a whine. The whine is at very light to heavy acceleration. I almost think it is the power steering pump. The power steering fluid is full and was not that warm after a 130 mile drive. So I think the fluid would be real hot if the pump was bad or the bearings were bad. It is not a turbo whine. I have had several turbos so I know that noise. My sons 08 Saab 2.0T is quiet under the same conditions. It seams very loud. I wanted to know if others have the issue so at my 5k service I do not get "that's normal". The other 2 2.0T I drove did not sound like this, I think. Please let me know.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
My 2012 2.0T has about 4100 miles. I love it! However, at less than a cruse I get a whine. The whine is at very light to heavy acceleration. I almost think it is the power steering pump. The power steering fluid is full and was not that warm after a 130 mile drive. So I think the fluid would be real hot if the pump was bad or the bearings were bad. It is not a turbo whine. I have had several turbos so I know that noise. My sons 08 Saab 2.0T is quiet under the same conditions. It seams very loud. I wanted to know if others have the issue so at my 5k service I do not get "that's normal". The other 2 2.0T I drove did not sound like this, I think. Please let me know.
Maybe it is the transmission.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm sure you have read my thread about the whine.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ighlight=whine

Drives me crazy each and every day. It is a steering pump issue with the 2.0s. Dealer's other 2.0s had it as well.

I complained to my dealer. He said it was indeed the steering pump but it sounds like all the other 2.0s on the lot. Another words.....its NORMAL. I then complained to Audi of America AND Audi of Germany. Germany referred my complaint to AofA and they sent somebody (a regional tech) within 48 hours.

He listed to it and concurred with the dealer. Which is:

They know its a problem...they clearly hear it....clearly annoying....they know its loud, but they cannot do anything about it because its how it was made to function.

I find this ludicrous because every other luxury car has a silent steering pump...even my Audi A4 is dead quit.

Its so frustrating to have to "live with it".

I was hoping someone could identify where the noise is actually coming from and attempt to Dynomat it but nobody has tried that. I wouldn't know where to begin. It's almost louder in the cabin than in the engine bay.

Ugh.....now you got my blood pressure up again....
Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang you !!!

Now I'm probably going to hear it on the wife's car !!!

Ignorance was bliss - do you have a sound clip of it as I guess I don't hear anything that sounds like that -

I do hear 'grumbles' and low resonance 'thumps' like.... but haven't isolated it...

wonder if a underhood mounted mat would help ???

I added one on my diesel with good results...
Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Very disappointing - I called the dealer to set up an appt for the shop foreman to listen to and assess the whine - it's pretty irritating - but I'm guessing I'll get the same explanation as others. Guess i should prepare to implement plan B - pretend it's turbo whine... :-)
Old 02-08-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rez
Very disappointing - I called the dealer to set up an appt for the shop foreman to listen to and assess the whine - it's pretty irritating - but I'm guessing I'll get the same explanation as others. Guess i should prepare to implement plan B - pretend it's turbo whine... :-)
Actually....as you will learn....plan B on this $45,000 vehicle is simply turning up your radio....especially as you slow down or at idle
Old 02-08-2012, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by g8tor20
Actually....as you will learn....plan B on ANY $45,000 vehicle is simply turning up your radio....especially as you slow down or at idle
Now you are talking! Works for me every time.

That whine, the whistling arund the mirror/doors, the apparent rear seat, etc., etc.

In any vehicle you suppress one noise, vibration, creak, whine and another one becomes apparent.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

When I get some extra time (in March) I will play around with the pump. It seems as if the hoses are resonating and amplifying the noise. I have some Dynamat left over from my Junkxus project a couple of years ago. The other items AC comp., Altn, etc seem quiet! I will report back.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had some whistling/whine....and it was the mirror housing! In the shop getting them replaced, thank goodness because it was driving me crazy!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
When I get some extra time (in March) I will play around with the pump. It seems as if the hoses are resonating and amplifying the noise. I have some Dynamat left over from my Junkxus project a couple of years ago. The other items AC comp., Altn, etc seem quiet! I will report back.
I think it might be an engineering "miss" as I don't hear the whine from outside the vehicle when engine is rev'd - only when seated inside with the door closed. I'm guessing you'll have to be a bit careful with the dynamat so that heat dissipation is not affected - not sure how much heat the pump generates but just something that comes to mind.

I guess some of us are a little picky with the q5 precisely because, in so many other aspects, it is superior in its execution that it seems a bit jarring when something like this is missed.

Quick Reply: Whine