Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Valeo Blades at Amazon

After repeated complaints from my wife regarding the poor quality of the factory Q5 wiper blades, I did some research and found that Valeo offers a direct replacement blade. The Valeo Ultimate wiper blade (part #'s 900-24-11B & 900-20-9B) slip right on the factory arm without the need for an adapter. The blades cost a few bucks more at Amazon, but I'm hopeful they'll perform better. In my wife's words: "how can they possibly be any worse?" I just installed the blades last night, but I'll provide updates if my wife offers any feedback - positive or negative.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotRodW
In my wife's words: "how can they possibly be any worse?"
I'm not going to argue with your wife...or anyone's wife for that matter but I'm on my 3rd st of OEM blades since Oct. '09 and must admit that I've been happy with the OEM. I'm kind of **** about a clean windscreen and when the blades start to show any wear, they're gone! Is it possible that your glass needs a thorough clean and polish job? Wipers(any brand) work SOOO much better when the glass is slick and clean. Blades will also benefit from a thorough cleaning...I just use alcohol. FWIW.
Thanks for posting the info and part #, BTW.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Is it possible that your glass needs a thorough clean and polish job? Wipers(any brand) work SOOO much better when the glass is slick and clean. Blades will also benefit from a thorough cleaning...I just use alcohol. FWIW.
Thanks for posting the info and part #, BTW.
Thanks for the tip. I have degreased and cleaned the windshield and wiper blades numerous times (glass polish, alcohol, vinegar, Dawn, Simple Green), plus I've treated the windshield with Rain-X. The factory Bosch wipers skip, failing to maintain consistent contact. The problem is likely exacerbated by the 70 mph speed limit here in Michigan, (which means my wife is likely cruising at 80 on her commute). Still, her previous car's wipers performed well, and I have had no issues with my car. I've had a lot of luck with PIAA Super Silicone blades, but I've been told there is no direct fitment for the Q5 yet.

I did ask the service manager about the blades when I had the rearview camera module installed last week. He explained that they will replace blades free of charge once if done on or before the 5,000 mile service. Obviously we were beyond that threshold.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 384 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
plus I've treated the windshield with Rain-X. The factory Bosch wipers skip, failing to maintain consistent contact. The problem is likely exacerbated by the 70 mph speed limit here in Michigan,
Hot Rod, get rid of the RainX on the windshield and your skipping problem will go away
Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel

Blades will also benefit from a thorough cleaning...I just use alcohol.
Alcohol is tough on rubber. It's better to find something that will clean and possibly refresh/soften the rubber edge. 303 makes tiny little wipes* that work well. Apply the night before, wipe off any residue the following morning. I believe this simple process can extend the life of the blades. I've had good luck with it and am still on my original blades. They're quiet, smooth-running and do a good job of cleaning the glass.

*I suspect the wipes contain the same 303 product that comes in the spray bottle
Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Hot Rod, get rid of the RainX on the windshield and your skipping problem will go away
Stripped it a couple months ago thinking it had started breaking down. Didn't help so I reapplied. Better with than without, but blades were still skipping.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I wonder if you didn't get all the RainX off...that stuff is a biatch to fully remove.

With fresh (soft) blades, and truly clean glass, you shouldn't have that annoying blade juddering.

Have you tried claying the glass, or possibly a glass polish? Then follow up with 91% isopropyl alcohol? I've had pretty good luck correcting some peoples' cars by doing that.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

RainX has blades, not sure if they have some for Q5, but I found blades for my car and they work the best. Original Bosch blades were always garbage.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Have you tried claying the glass, or possibly a glass polish?
I use Zaino Glass polish and that works very well. Tried clay with minimal improvement.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamaudi
I really should reread my annual before I ask this question...but I had a crazy weekend and can't work up the energy to get off the couch!

But I thought I read that you should not use Rain-X like products because of the rain sensors or?!

I've always used Rain-X...love it!
Do you mean that it is wrong to use Rain-X windshield fluid?

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades