Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

18 Q5 - Entire Car Shakes & Smells Like Gas (~3500 miles on it)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 Q5 - Entire Car Shakes & Smells Like Gas (~3500 miles on it)

So...Got into the car tonight to drive out to a NYE party and the car started shaking/trembling, check engine light came on and then an exclamation mark was being displayed on the screen with a note that read "Call service" or something along those lines. I put the car in reverse a backed up a bit to see if it would stop once in motion but it continued. Turned it off and turned it back on to see if the problem still persisted and it did. I also noticed when I got out of the car that there was a very strong smell of fuel in the garage.

The car isn't due for a service for another 6k miles. I checked the vehicle settings and oil level and everything seems fine. Not sure what happened. In this condition, I doubt I could even drive it to the nearest Audi dealer to have them look at it. Pretty disappointed at this point. I had this underlying fear that I'd run into reliability issues with the car but never expected them to show up at 3k miles.

Has anybody ever heard of something like this? Any ideas on what's going on?
Old 01-01-2018, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injection

Sounds like a fuel injector is stuck open and dumping to much fuel. I would like to know what you find out. Waiting for my Q5 to be built in March. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be a bad ignition coil. Audi has had problems in the past with bad ignition coils, including those on my 2002 A4. You would hope they would have solved that problem by now.

In any case, it seems like raw fuel is getting dumped into the exhaust, which, I understand, can damage the catalytic converter. If they don't offer, I would insist that the dealer replace the cat along with fixing whatever is causing the problem.

The cost of towing the vehicle to the dealer is covered by the warranty, isn't it? It sucks having to do this, but at least it shouldn't cost you anything.