Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 - heated seats not that heated?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by V0X
I only have cold weather package on a Prestige Plus with standard seats and level 3 heating is VERY warm. I usually have that on for maybe 5 minutes then drop it to level 2.

Sounds like this issue is solely tied to the sport seats (ventilated)
^ VOX, thanks. Based on the feedback here from you and others I completely agree.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree -- my Q5 Prestige seats aren't nearly as warm as my 2006 TDI Jetta -- I even feel the heated stearing wheel is warmer than the front seats! Perhaps it's the warm pkg with the sport seats in front that compromises heating function.

This weekend, because of a vehicle full with passengers, my GF sat in the back seat on a cold evening. She was very impressed with the rear heated seats. On the other hand, if you're tall, the standard seats have inadequate thigh support, so I specifically sought out the sport seats for the thigh extension. However, I haven't yet needed the heated seats much, so maybe the issue is that the sports seats don't extend heating elements to the thigh extension and thus have a smaller heating surface. But my limited impression is that they're not very warm, not simply heating well within in a smaller area.

Dave

Last edited by d-klumpp; 12-18-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Wishbone, thoughtful warning, thanks. However the available seat heater micro adjustment within control module (09) Central Electrics (in Adaptation) doesn't actually alter the amount of current going to the seat heaters in a given stage [1,2 and 3] - it only alters the set temperature at which the seat heaters regulate to in a particular heat stage. I've determined in the Ross-Tech 2017 Audi Q7 4M forum that the regulating temperature for the heated seats can be changed by a maximum of plus or minus 5 deg. C. in each heat stage. Today I changed (increased) my seat heater settings by +3 deg. C. for all 3 heat stages. I'll report back here in a few days as to what effect this change has made.
Note: The stored factory setting for the seat heater micro adjustment is 0 (deg. C.).

/R
Gotcha! Good information. So maybe a little harder on the elements overall from longer use than normal but probably not a big deal. I look forward to hearing what your experimentation unveiles.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by umdstu
Looking forward to the results of your experiment!
^ umdstu, wishbone and all - After a few days now of having the Adaptation seat heater micro adjustment set to +3 deg. C. I've experienced quite a noticeable difference [but not a huge difference] in the amount of heat in the driver's seat in heat stage 3. My wife advised that the front passenger seat is now more than adequate with the seat heater set to heat stage 3.
To further my experimentation I've decided to go back into (09) Central Electrics and increase the micro adjustment setting to +5 deg. C. (the maximum setting). I would like to see the driver's seat get a little warmer in heat stage 3.

FYI - as an aside... for all those here who have the same ventilated sport seats... there is also an available micro adjustment setting in (09) Central Electrics>>Adaptation to increase the ventilated seat cooling fan speed (for each of the 3 stages) by up to 10%.

/Richard

Last edited by rbreeze; 12-20-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:03 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ umdstu, wishbone and all - After a few days now of having the Adaptation seat heater micro adjustment set to +3 deg. C. I've experienced quite a noticeable difference [but not a huge difference] in the amount of heat in the driver's seat in heat stage 3. My wife advised that the front passenger seat is now more than adequate with the seat heater set to heat stage 3.
To further my experimentation I've decided to go back into (09) Central Electrics and increase the micro adjustment setting to +5 deg. C. (the maximum setting). I would like to see the driver's seat get a little warmer in heat stage 3.

FYI - as an aside... for all those here who have the same ventilated sport seats... there is also an available micro adjustment setting in (09) Central Electrics>>Adaptation to increase the ventilated seat cooling fan speed (for each of the 3 stages) by up to 10%.

/Richard
I've heard of OBDeleven but I'm not familiar with it. Is it fairly intuitive for the mods you've described or does it take reading a coding manual to master?
Old 12-21-2017, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So who's going to be the lucky one with a dealer check-up that's going this issue up first? I find it hard to believe this is by design.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TYJ
I've heard of OBDeleven but I'm not familiar with it. Is it fairly intuitive for the mods you've described or does it take reading a coding manual to master?
^ The OBDleven is very intuitive to use for the 'mods' I've described (as well as numerous other settings changes I've done on my Q5) and it does not take reading a coding manual to master. 5 months ago I'd never even heard of OBDeleven. I received my OBDeleven in September of this year. Anyone can learn how to use the OBDeleven. There are several ways to gain info about the OBDeleven, including viewing the many videos posted on YouTube. Just type into the YouTube search box the term OBDeleven and see how many videos come up.
/R

Last edited by rbreeze; 12-21-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by umdstu
So who's going to be the lucky one with a dealer check-up that's going this issue up first? I find it hard to believe this is by design.
^ Ha-ha! The "lucky one" will have to first convince the dealer that an issue actually exists! After a few "checks" for heated seat operation and any faults logged, the dealer will likely come back and say that this is how the heated seats are designed to operate on 2018 Q5s equipped with ventilated sport seats.
My feeling is... avoid going to the dealer as much as you can!.. as it's very often a big waste of time for issues such as this.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Ha-ha! The "lucky one" will have to first convince the dealer that an issue actually exists! After a few "checks" for heated seat operation and any faults logged, the dealer will likely come back and say that this is how the heated seats are designed to operate on 2018 Q5s equipped with ventilated sport seats.
My feeling is... avoid going to the dealer as much as you can!.. as it's very often a big waste of time for issues such as this.
Don't disagree at all. This is why i was saying for anyone ALREADY scheduled for a visit, who may be effected, and wanted to bring it up!
Old 12-21-2017, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

After further testing and further drive/seat time, I've settled on my final settings for the heated seats in my '18 Q5 equipped with ventilated sport seats.
My final settings [re: 'Seat heater, micro adjust.' in control module (09) Central Electrics] are as follows:
Stage 1: +5 °C
Stage 2: +5 °C
Stage 3: +4 °C

So NOW, with these settings changes in place... after about 10 minutes of having the driver's seat set to heat Stage 3 - I need to turn it down to Stage 2 because it gets a little too warm. In a few days or weeks I may lower the Stage 3 setting from +4 °C to +3 °C, so that I can just leave the seat set to heat Stage 3 all the time (during winter) without it becoming uncomfortable. Stage 2 heat is quite good now at the setting of +5 °C (after coming out of heat Stage 3), but after sitting for a while at the Stage 2 level I start thinking it could be just a little warmer.
The great thing of course is that these settings changes can be carried out anytime in just a few seconds using the OBDeleven.

Last edited by rbreeze; 12-22-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 - heated seats not that heated?