Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 rental & iPod classic---Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q5 rental & iPod classic---Roadtrip

I am renting a 2018 Q5 this summer for a Southwest USA roadtrip.

I have a 160gB iPod classic with 15k songs arranged in playlists. The playlists include some with a
couple hundred songs each curated especially for gawking at desert and red rocks.

I've poked around this subject enough to know this may present some compatibility problems.

Is there a simple way that I can listen to my iPod classic playlists in this 2018 Q5 rental ? I don't need to control the iPod from the MMI nor see what's playing on the screen.

On another forum it was suggested I use a male/male 3.5 mm jack from iPod headphone to the Aux input.

Similar to this: (an A4 is pictured - not a Q5):

I'm open to other practical options. ( I'm also open to iPod heckling )
Would a Bluetooth transmitter ( like the Kokkia i10) be a possibility?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

md
Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the 3.5mm Jack is the only way.

Or find out how to transfer your music to a mem card. If you figure that out, let me know. I’m in the same boat.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

guvnick is right - connect the ipod using the 3.5mm jack as shown in the pic. the Q5/SQ5 manual states that anything with the "Apple Dock" connector can only be charged and will not transmit data. only ipod touch (5th gen and later) with the lightning connector can be used to transmit data.

putting songs/playlists on a mem card or usb stick is very easy.
  • find your itunes library on your PC/laptop. mine is here: "C:\Users\(your logon ID)\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music".
  • select all the folders in the Music folder and copy them right to the mem card or usb stick
  • then create a folder on your mem card/usb stick called "Playlists"
  • in itunes, highlight the playlist's name in the left nav and in the menu, select: File > Library > Export Playlist...
  • a dialog box opens --> now save the playlist as an M3U file to your desktop and copy it over into the Playlist folder that you created on the mem card/usb stick
  • the MMI will recognize the M3U file as a playlist and you can select it in the MMI

i have done all this same thing (above) on my Galaxy S10e. my entire itunes library is on the microSD in my phone. i have access to playlists and all.

Last edited by -hef-; 08-10-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Guvnick .No question a 3.5mm male/male cord and my ipod will be going with me---along with some other options as below.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well Hef, I am only now getting over the trauma and horror associated with moving my iTunes library from one computer to another 3 years ago. Despite following directions to the letter ,inevitably
I would run into a glitch. And when transferring 15k songs it was fairly time consuming and frustrating to hit those walls. Finally , I returned to the project after taking a several week break
and it magically happened. My library has mp3 material from so many sources I could never reassemble ....so what a relief. And I have no idea what I did differently.....ugh.

Anyway, I'm going to push through the cold sweat and queasiness and copy some playlists to SD cards and USB.
It seems a simple enough task. Thanks for the step by step instructions- I'll jump in again.

md