Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5/SQ5 vs 2018 Range Rover Velar

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2018 Q5/SQ5 vs 2018 Range Rover Velar

As if this segment wasn't competitive enough already, Land Rover releases the Velar; a legitimate and very attractive alternative to the new Q5/SQ5. Pricing is competitive too.

Just based on internet photos, the Velar is already looking like more of a head-turner than the Q5. It probably won't be as reliable as our beloved Mexican-built German-designed SUV, but I have to admit it certainly has the Q5 in the looks department with its "coupe-like" styling. As good as the new Q5 looks, it looks rather pedestrian next to the new Range Rover Velar.

Engine options are comparable too. Velar will have a turbocharged 2L 4-cylinder gas engine, a 2L 4-cylinder diesel, and a 380hp 3L V6 supercharged gas engine as the top option. Even towing capacity is right in line with the Q5/SQ5 at 5500 lbs. Only difference is that should you desire to go crazy on even more premium options, the Velar can be had with even more leather surfaces on the interior, including the dash, alcantara-like headlining, massage seats, bringing up a fully loaded MSRP of just over $90k. Also, the Velar will probably be a more capable off-roader than the Q5/SQ5, not that the majority of these cars would ever be driven over anything else other than pavement.

Last edited by larryV; 03-06-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, it is a stunner. And it is built off the Jaguar F-Pace platform, so certainly no slouch. The only thing that would keep me away is potential reliability, especially on a first-year model. Also, I think the Q5 interior will be equally attractive. I've seen pics of the Velar. It is really nice, but I'm not digging the dual screen setup.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I just took a quick look at the Land Rover site and saw the Velar. Yes, absolutely stunning interior and exterior and lighting. And looks like there are plenty of customizable items to get it just the way you want it. No question this thing is sleek and one of the nicest looking SUV's I've ever seen - and that includes my favorite lookers - the Porsche Macan. I'm betting that people buying this are not going to be backroading and the toughest times they will be facing is waiting on lines at Starbucks, but this just may be a hit for LR. I don't know that base Q5 buyers would pony up for the extra money, but I'm betting those looking at a more heavily optioned Q5 will have more than a passing interest. As will potential Macan and MB and BMW X3 and X5 buyers. When the Evoque came on the market a few years ago, it was certainly "different" looking, but with the poor visibility - window wise I never gave it a thought. - seemed more style over function. I just bought my 2017 Allroad and am calling it a day with buying cars for quite a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, but if I were in the market, I would give this at least a test drive. My huge hesitation - and it would be huge, is with the LR's having a reputation for very poor reliability. But certainly kudos to LR for design.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No they are doing a great job..
Old 03-04-2017, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Worthin_S
No they are doing a great job..
Uhm? Who is doing a great job?
Old 03-04-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I spent a lot of time looking, test driving the FPace and even went back months later For another eval. Loved the look and glowing reviews by many auto mags! For those that are impulse buyers or don't look into reliability the Jag and LR vehicles will easily win on looks and the Jag handles/performs well too. I was skittish after going on the FPace forum and reading about the love-hate relationship of owners. Then I met a friends son that manages a local Accura service department. He had recently transferred over from the same job at LR/Jag (same ownership) and commented on how much he liked his new job since he wasn't always dealing with unhappy customers. Off the record he said I'd be much happier with Accura but was reluctant to go into detail.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ron.S
I spent a lot of time looking, test driving the FPace and even went back months later For another eval. Loved the look and glowing reviews by many auto mags! For those that are impulse buyers or don't look into reliability the Jag and LR vehicles will easily win on looks and the Jag handles/performs well too. I was skittish after going on the FPace forum and reading about the love-hate relationship of owners. Then I met a friends son that manages a local Accura service department. He had recently transferred over from the same job at LR/Jag (same ownership) and commented on how much he liked his new job since he wasn't always dealing with unhappy customers. Off the record he said I'd be much happier with Accura but was reluctant to go into detail.
That's a shame - especially on a premium level brand like LR - that's luxury, performance level as well as badass, that it lags in the reliability area. In that higher end zone - where you are north of 60k, it seem the SQ5 and Macan's are the real deal.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

No doubt the Land Rover brand as a whole still falls short in reliability especially compared to their German counterparts. I bet even the Mexican-built Q5 and SQ5 will reign superior over any Land Rover product with regards to reliability. I have a few friends who recently purchased Land Rover cars, one of them being a $140k+ Range Rover Autobiography and just about all of them complain of their cars being more troublesome than any car they've ever owned. The RR AB owner has straight-up buyers remorse that his $140k car keeps having recurring suspension issues. Not cool on such an expensive product.

That said, the new Velar is such a stunning design inside and out, and can be built with such compelling option packages and trim levels that you just don't get in other makes yet, that I'm almost willing to take the risk. If anything, buying one at least finally gets the Land Rover itch that I've had for years out of the way. And this being a 3rd car in the household with me as the main driver (wife hardly ever drives), it may just be worth taking a leap of faith over. If it ends up in the shop more often than I care to tolerate, at least there will other cars in the garage to drive. And if it's a lemon, I can always take the hit of trading it in early for an SQ5 or similarly more reliable product.

Wish me luck. *calls Land Rover dealer to place deposit on first edition*
Old 03-04-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Consumer Reports agrees. I just started reading the 2017 Auto Edition.
Audi Brand is ranked 1 overall, Porsche 2, BMW 3-Jag 26, LR 29 out of 31 brands. LR and Fiat are the 2 with "worst" reliability rating, Jag joins 11 others one notch higher. Lexus gets only Best" Rating followed by Audi and 5 others a notch below. 11 brands were ranked average in reliability. The Audi road test and owner satisfaction scores took them to the top.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

so youcan see if the srive is what you like.
Originally Posted by larryV
No doubt the Land Rover brand as a whole still falls short in reliability especially compared to their German counterparts. I bet even the Mexican-built Q5 and SQ5 will reign superior over any Land Rover product with regards to reliability. I have a few friends who recently purchased Land Rover cars, one of them being a $140k+ Range Rover Autobiography and just about all of them complain of their cars being more troublesome than any car they've ever owned. The RR AB owner has straight-up buyers remorse that his $140k car keeps having recurring suspension issues. Not cool on such an expensive product.

That said, the new Velar is such a stunning design inside and out, and can be built with such compelling option packages and trim levels that you just don't get in other makes yet, that I'm almost willing to take the risk. If anything, buying one at least finally gets the Land Rover itch that I've had for years out of the way. And this being a 3rd car in the household with me as the main driver (wife hardly ever drives), it may just be worth taking a leap of faith over. If it ends up in the shop more often than I care to tolerate, at least there will other cars in the garage to drive. And if it's a lemon, I can always take the hit of trading it in early for an SQ5 or similarly more reliable product.

Wish me luck. *calls Land Rover dealer to place deposit on first edition*
Wow, Larry.

That is quite a leap of faith. Have you driven it? Is it even available to drive so you can see if you like the handling and how long a wait? Though I'm guessing it will be responsive as hell. Good luck and do let us know.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5/SQ5 vs 2018 Range Rover Velar