Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 SQ5 Rear Brakes Worn to "Yellow"

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
How do you drive it? If you are really aggressive with cornering, etc, the car uses brakes to do torque vectoring which eats through the pads.
not if you have the sport diff
The following users liked this post:
objectivist (10-06-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLLAuWo
My 2018 SQ5 is 16 months old and has been driven 20,000 miles (32 000 km). My Audi dealer's service technician told me today, when SQ5 had the 20,000-mile service, that the rear brakes were "yellow." Replacing the two rear brakes, including rotors, pads, sensors, and labor, would cost about US$750.
Does that seem to be unusually rapid wear? Any advice on non-Audi rear brakes? Should I stick with Audi parts?
I was starting a post to ask the same issue and found your comment here.

My wife's 2018 SQ5 went for 20K service at 17,734 miles. Was told the rear pads and rotors needed replacement. Under 20,000!!! (And at the same time all 4 Continental tires needed replacing). In context for me is that my Jeep Wrangler with 89,000 plus miles has had one set of tires replaced at 74,000 miles and has never had the brakes replaced. Every oil change the Jeep dealer checks wear and says okay for now. So I am wondering what on earth did I buy? Is this planned obsolescence, a gimmick by the dealers, a rip-off scam, or just crappy brakes?

We said no to thank you to the dealer, went to Goodyear and got some nice mid-performance tires and asked them about the brakes. They didn't see the issue.
Now 10,000 miles later the warning message has shown up. Goodyear said they could replace the pads for $600 inclusive but when they got the car and checked with Audi for the parts they said they had to replace the pads, rotors and sensors...meaning to me that Audi would not provide one without the other.

Does anyone know if there are published wear amounts (measurements the dealer gave us at 17K was 4 mm front and 3 mm rear for the pads, no mention of the rotors. And why would they be telling me, as they told SLLAuWo at 20K miles the whole system needed replacement when the warning message did not come on for another 10K miles?

Any more durable after-market pads and rotors that can be obtained, and is this something that can be done in the home-driveway shop?
Old 10-25-2019, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I highly doubt your rotors are worn to their limits. I would basically put money on it that they are not. There is normally a wear limit that is cast into the rotor, but I don't know what that is. If you don't have a lip on the rotor at the outside diameter, you are probably good to go.

I don't like the brake dust from the OEM pads, I do love Akebono euro pads, basically the same performance with no dust. I had them on the 2010 Q5, amazing the difference.

However, after checking Rockauto, ECS tuning, etc. there appears to be no alternative to OEM pads just yet. If you look up 2018 SQ5 on rockauto.com there are alternate pads including Akebono, but that's for the generation 1 SQ5, not the present one. Looking at the pictures of the pads on ecstuning.com shows that they are different. So I am going to say you have to get OEM pads for now. Here is the ECS tuning page:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B9_SQ.../Braking/Pads/

And the rockauto which is NOT CORRECT for a 2018, this is for the generation 1 SQ5:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ke+&+wheel+hub

If you plug in 2019 SQ5, you will find no options:

The dealer probably doesn't want to do anyting but replace everything. It is most conservative, and most expensive. You can also get your parts here and have your Goodyear place install them. However, after looking at their web page for a 2018, it appears they might not have the right pads either listed. It might be a Generation 1. They don't have a 2019 option.

https://www.audiusaparts.com/

Here is a page with what appears to be the correct parts for the rear components, you just have to give them the VIN, but the rotors are $86 each plus the pads which are $81 for the set. So a total of $253 for the whole shooting match. At that price, I would just consider replacing everything.

https://audiparts.autohausofpeoria.c...s--rear-brakes

Last edited by PaulW; 10-25-2019 at 05:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mizo11 (02-16-2020)
Old 10-25-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SG88
I was starting a post to ask the same issue and found your comment here.

My wife's 2018 SQ5 went for 20K service at 17,734 miles. Was told the rear pads and rotors needed replacement. Under 20,000!!! (And at the same time all 4 Continental tires needed replacing). In context for me is that my Jeep Wrangler with 89,000 plus miles has had one set of tires replaced at 74,000 miles and has never had the brakes replaced. Every oil change the Jeep dealer checks wear and says okay for now. So I am wondering what on earth did I buy? Is this planned obsolescence, a gimmick by the dealers, a rip-off scam, or just crappy brakes?

We said no to thank you to the dealer, went to Goodyear and got some nice mid-performance tires and asked them about the brakes. They didn't see the issue.
Now 10,000 miles later the warning message has shown up. Goodyear said they could replace the pads for $600 inclusive but when they got the car and checked with Audi for the parts they said they had to replace the pads, rotors and sensors...meaning to me that Audi would not provide one without the other.

Does anyone know if there are published wear amounts (measurements the dealer gave us at 17K was 4 mm front and 3 mm rear for the pads, no mention of the rotors. And why would they be telling me, as they told SLLAuWo at 20K miles the whole system needed replacement when the warning message did not come on for another 10K miles?

Any more durable after-market pads and rotors that can be obtained, and is this something that can be done in the home-driveway shop?
Audi absolutely does sell pads OR rotors.i bought my pads from the dealership, used aftermarket rotors. Either their supplier is a liar or the shop is, but that is simply not true

Also check audipartsusa.com for cheaper one stuff online
Old 10-25-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 257 Posts

Like others have said, you shouldn't need rotors. I'd suspect you get close to 80k miles off the rotors, pads are a different story. High dust ones wear quickly (hence the dust). You do need sensors + pads though, and some brands come with the sensors in the box with the pads.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLLAuWo
My 2018 SQ5 is 16 months old and has been driven 20,000 miles (32 000 km). My Audi dealer's service technician told me today, when SQ5 had the 20,000-mile service, that the rear brakes were "yellow." Replacing the two rear brakes, including rotors, pads, sensors, and labor, would cost about US$750.
Does that seem to be unusually rapid wear? Any advice on non-Audi rear brakes? Should I stick with Audi parts?
Interesting, our Q5 has 15000 miles, they told us today we need front brakes done to correct a slight pulsing of the brakes. $1600.00

Last edited by GHarris; 02-17-2020 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by GHarris
Interesting, our Q5 has 15000 miles, they told us today we need all four brakes done to correct a slight pulsing of the brakes. $1600.00
Thats scary. My last SUV, a Hyundai Santa Fe lasted 60,000 miles, and it was a..a..a well a Hyundai.. Something has to be wrong here. I would say it is the way you drive, but if you have had no issues with your last few cars, i would say it is the car.

How are the rest of you out there with some miles on your Q5 doing?
Old 10-29-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

They don't seem to last longer then ~30k. I have 2013 (I know MKI) at 75K now and had them done twice already. Dealer paid fully for one replacement, but it is a different story. 10K after dealer said they need to be replaced sounds about right. I usually drive until the light comes up, when I have another 800 miles to replace them. Done it at my local indy shop for half the Audi price with the OEM parts.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
Thats scary. My last SUV, a Hyundai Santa Fe lasted 60,000 miles, and it was a..a..a well a Hyundai.. Something has to be wrong here. I would say it is the way you drive, but if you have had no issues with your last few cars, i would say it is the car.

How are the rest of you out there with some miles on your Q5 doing?

Understood, this is my wife’s car, a little senior who is easy on the car. I have never had brake issues this soon before. I got about 80000 out of the brakes on a Ford Edge. I need to
pull the wheels and see for myself. Interested in the results of others.

Thanks
Gary
Old 02-10-2020, 04:48 PM
SQ5 Down Under

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PaulW
I highly doubt your rotors are worn to their limits. I would basically put money on it that they are not. There is normally a wear limit that is cast into the rotor, but I don't know what that is. If you don't have a lip on the rotor at the outside diameter, you are probably good to go.

I don't like the brake dust from the OEM pads, I do love Akebono euro pads, basically the same performance with no dust. I had them on the 2010 Q5, amazing the difference.

However, after checking Rockauto, ECS tuning, etc. there appears to be no alternative to OEM pads just yet. If you look up 2018 SQ5 on rockauto.com there are alternate pads including Akebono, but that's for the generation 1 SQ5, not the present one. Looking at the pictures of the pads on ecstuning.com shows that they are different. So I am going to say you have to get OEM pads for now. Here is the ECS tuning page:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B9_SQ.../Braking/Pads/

And the rockauto which is NOT CORRECT for a 2018, this is for the generation 1 SQ5:

If you plug in 2019 SQ5, you will find no options:

The dealer probably doesn't want to do anyting but replace everything. It is most conservative, and most expensive. You can also get your parts here and have your Goodyear place install them. However, after looking at their web page for a 2018, it appears they might not have the right pads either listed. It might be a Generation 1. They don't have a 2019 option.

https://www.audiusaparts.com/

Here is a page with what appears to be the correct parts for the rear components, you just have to give them the VIN, but the rotors are $86 each plus the pads which are $81 for the set. So a total of $253 for the whole shooting match. At that price, I would just consider replacing everything.

https://audiparts.autohausofpeoria.c...s--rear-brakes
Hey PaulW

So what did u end up getting? I'm also trying to find Akebono for my MY18 SQ5 but have no luck in finding the correct size. My plan was to machine the origin rotor if require and put in the Akebono or possibly another ceramic pad. My SQ5 has done 24,000k so far no warning light yet but I think it might be due for replacement in the next 6 month. Tirerack is the only place I can find that sell ceramic made by Centric for the rears only so nothing for the fronts.

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resu...8&autoModClar=

I had great experience with Akebono with my Q7 which I have got more than 100k and looks like it can go for another few years. It bite well enough, no noise, little or not dust and last forever so it was a no brainer for me to do the same for my SQ5 this time around if I can.

So just to confirm, according to audiparts website the front brakes are 338mm and the rears are 300mm?

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 Rear Brakes Worn to "Yellow"