Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install

Installed my hitch today from Steve at Stealth Hitches, my only use for the hitch is for a bike rack and a carrier so I purchased the "rack only" and didnt do any harness or wiring. I'm not a good writer and didnt document every single detail but I'm hoping this will help someone if you're on the fence about installing a hitch on your Q5/SQ5. The Hitch cost me more than a draw-tite or typical trailer hitch but much less than the dealer quoted install for the OEM model. Steve was very helpful and responsive when I had a question during the installation. The worst part of the install was the darn styrofoam organizer in the trunk!
Here are a few pictures during the installation. The instructions are very detailed, except for a couple of steps that I'll mention when we get there, so if you follow them step-by-step you'll be fine.
https://stealthhitches.com/
No need to jack the vehicle up or remove the rear tires, first thing is to remove (1) screw behind the rear wheel to access 3 more screws and start removing the body parts.
Be sure and use plenty of painters tape to protect your nice finish. Pop the rear wheel trim out of the body clips to the ~12 o-clock position so you can access one more screw that helps hold the rear bumper fascia.
Once you get this done on each side, it's time to start in the trunk by pulling up on the aluminum shelf to pop it out of the 2 clips on each end and pull it straight out to remove. Then remove the electrical connection on the "thing on top of the spare tire" (what is that thing?) just pull out on the red clip and pull the connector out. then unscrew the center hand nut and remove the "thing" and the spare tire.
Unbelt the jack and the compressor to remove and then remove the tool kit, I took a picture of the compressor to show the 10lb of stuff in a 5lb hole. Also took a picture of the tool kit to show folk what was in there. By the way, I found the battery!
Next step is to remove the 4 anchors and side covers, take a 90° pick and pop the plastic up to access the bolt holding the anchor down. Remove the 4 anchors and the side covers that hold down the big styrofoam organizer. Now pull the center piece from the organizer and prepare to fight. It worked better for me to remove the right side of the organizer first and then the right side.
Now you're ready to remove the rear bumper fascia, there are 4 nuts that must be removed by popping the grommets out and using a 8" extension and 10mm deep well socket. then go to the sides behind the rear wheel and pop the panel out of the body clips and get yourself a partner to help lift it off onto the ground although it isnt very heavy at all. Here is one of the places that I had trouble with the instructions. This step mentioned that you should not unplug any electrical connection and to lay the bumper on a protected surface. Actually, there is an electrical wire connected from the bumper to the vehicle that allows you about a foot of slack on the left side of the bumper. You have to set the bumper on the ground behind the vehicle with the wire still attached to the car. You can swing the right side of the bumper away from the rear end enough to provide ample room to work.
Now you're ready to unbolt the bumper and the reinforcement brace from the car. NOTE, here is another area that the instructions failed me, the small reinforcement bar should be discarded and not re-used but the instructions fail to mention this. Ultimately, I wasted 30-40 minutes trying to understand what order the 3 pieces bolt up only to find that no orientation would work. The top small bar shown in the picture needs to go!
Place the hitch on the vehicle first and then the bumper goes on top and bolt it down per the instructions. Now you're ready to put everything back together in the reverse order and this is where I failed you on the taking more pictures. I did include a few picture of the finished product with the receiver installed and a picture of what the receiver mounts into under the vehicle (that's nicely hidden).
I like how the hitch is unseen when not in use but when the 2" receiver is connected it sure does stick out. Ultimately, I am very happy with my Stealth Hitch. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails 2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1843.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1846.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1845.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1847.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1848.jpg  

2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1849.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1850.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1851.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1852.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1853.jpg  

2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1854.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1855.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1856.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1857.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1860.jpg  

2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1861.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1862.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1863.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1864.jpg   2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install-img_1865.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
JToddH (09-11-2022)
Old 12-21-2017, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting this info.

The video (notably not specific to the Q5) mentioned cutting the fascia but your write did not. Did you have to cut the fascia at all?

How solid does the hitch seem, having two pieces that mate up as opposed to other hitch brands that are a single piece? Even though they say the pieces are finely machined, I am somewhat worried that there will be some play between them.

How difficult is it to reach the key that locks/unlocks the receiver?
Old 12-21-2017, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Steamboat
Thanks for posting this info.

The video (notably not specific to the Q5) mentioned cutting the fascia but your write did not. Did you have to cut the fascia at all?

How solid does the hitch seem, having two pieces that mate up as opposed to other hitch brands that are a single piece? Even though they say the pieces are finely machined, I am somewhat worried that there will be some play between them.

How difficult is it to reach the key that locks/unlocks the receiver?
Those are all good questions Steamboat, for the install there was no drilling, no cutting, or no modifications to anything.
The mating of the 2 pieces seem virtually solid once it clicks into place, you can shake and pull and maybe get a millimeter of play and maybe not even that much. It will be interesting to see how that goes after several years of use.
While I havent used the hitch or installed my bike rack yet, just from practicing the install/removal of the receiver I do believe it can be done without standing on your head after a few practice rounds. Unlocking the lock may require an upside down position but in my opinion that's a worthy cost for an invisible hitch. One additional note, the opening in the rear fascia where the lock is located is quite large so it isnt tough to get your hand in position. I actually thought about leaving the receiver in the lock and getting a nice hitch cover but I dont care for how far the receiver sticks out.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting; I received mine but have not installed it yet. I think you just saved me a bunch of time with the advice on deleting the small reinforcement bar.
The hitch seems very well made (weld quality, billet steel parts) so I look forward to getting it on the car.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:00 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work, great looking hitch. Reminds me of the invisihitch I installed on my '15 SQ5. If I eventually consider a hitch for the '18 I will certainly look into this option.

-tgt
Old 12-31-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

If anyone is interested in the Stealth Hitch, I was given a code that I can email to you for a 25.00 discount.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This video should really help!

https://images.etrailer.com/static/i...c13331_web.mp4
Old 05-28-2018, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great. Thanks for the great description. I just ordered the "combo" after speaking with Steve. Let's see if adding the wiring harness ads another layer of complexity to the installation. In your opinion, since you installed this yourself, would you have a 3rd party do the install since the wiring harness is being added?

I was also told that it doesn't interfere with any of the advanced electronics (surround cameras, toe kick trunk sensor, PDC, Advanced driving aids, etc.)
Old 06-09-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 vote for StealthHitch

$630 all in from a local certified installer in Austin

Old 06-10-2018, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Anyone know about how much an audi dealer would charge to remive a port installed trailer hitch on a 2918 Q5? Or cost by a certified hitch inataller?

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 Stealth Hitch Install