Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2021 SQ5 Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the tips on the '21 snap out of the lower valence. then cut out the valence behind the the fake tips. cut and clamp the new tips on. the video above shows it well
Old 04-29-2021, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain_B
No, the mufflers are not replaced. The down-facing exhaust pipes are just trimmed and these are put on.

Here is a video of a guy installing them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aw_iZ_ynLA
One of the comments left on video........"Just had these installed on my car and they left the plastic piece underneath the new tips not a big deal I guess.. anyways I notice whatever mode I have the car in that the exhaust smoke really only comes out of the passenger side of the vehicle. I read that this has to do with the valve on the driver side which opens above 3,000 RPM. Is that true ?"
Old 05-03-2021, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting...wonder why the Quad exhaust pipes section of this from the dealer says, "requires no cutting or painting".

Old 05-03-2021, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Windsor
Interesting...wonder why the Quad exhaust pipes section of this from the dealer says, "requires no cutting or painting".

Well it does not require any painting... :P

The no cutting part is clearly wrong, but the trim that is cut is at least designed to be cut.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

More on this topic...

My 2021 SQ5 was ordered with this option (should be here in about 2-3 weeks)...and no one from the dealer seems to have any consensus on the particulars (it's pretty lame).

Even though my options sheet clearly says it's 'Port Installed', my dealer swears that it's Factory Installed.

I drove around to several dealers in SoCal and finally found one a few months back that had it installed (they fired it up in the showroom) and everyone was surprised, didn't know what it was, why it was ordered, what was different, etc.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Windsor
I woudln't put too much faith in the description in that photo. I don't think English was the primary language of the writer - it says something like "nearly up to", and the rest of the description is farily cumbersome.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

[QUOTE=Windsor;25584171]More on this topic...

My 2021 SQ5 was ordered with this option (should be here in about 2-3 weeks)...and no one from the dealer seems to have any consensus on the particulars (it's pretty lame).

Even though my options sheet clearly says it's 'Port Installed', my dealer swears that it's Factory Installed.

I drove around to several dealers in SoCal and finally found one a few months back that had it installed (they fired it up in the showroom) and everyone was surprised, didn't know what it was, why it was ordered, what was different, etc.[/QUOTE]

The salesmen and others at the dealership should know, but when I bought mine (off the lot, not ordered) I just assumed the exhaust pipes were real. Fake never entered my mind. For what it's worth, it's not really a quad exhaust anyway - it's dual exhaust with each pipe split, just for appearances. I wonder if it's truly a real twin exhaust.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Cold are non working exhaust tips, just there for looks

Hot are actual tips the exhaust goes through like what is pictured above
Old 06-11-2021, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RCPrato
Cold are non working exhaust tips, just there for looks

Hot are actual tips the exhaust goes through like what is pictured above
My local Audi Service Rep agreed that the 1200 bucks was ridiculous and recommended a local exhaust shop (that had an R8 up on the rack when I visited…lol) - anyway….the local shop is going to move the electronic valve closer to the muffler (so that I do not encounter any check engine lights or other “issues” by removing the valve) and attach black tips for me - for ~200 bucks. And, I am swapping out the silver rings and badging for black - so with the Daytona Gray….my 21 should hopefully look pretty sweet once I am finished. The exhaust shop has 3 different pipe sizes available - and will fit the largest set that will fit in the valence. He also offered a “muffler delete” option for me - but, I declined….just want the hot pipes/tips (in black).
Old 06-12-2021, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 255 Posts

You shouldn't have any issues with the valve delete. It's just there to "keep it quiet" when in-non sport mode by limiting exhaust output through one tip.

I wouldn't do the muffler delete either. I'm on the BMW forum, and there are a bunch of people that do it, and say "sounds great, just louder, but not too loud". But if you actually heard a vehicle from the outside accelerating and driving by (I've heard a bunch where my house is situated), it sounds ABSOLUTLELY bad. The cats keep the volume down, but it doesn't sound refined or remotely nice. My mental comment every time someone peels away from the stop sign is "dude.... you car sounds liks a$$". You can usually hear the pinging of the exhaust without the muffler to deaden it as well.
The following users liked this post:
johnusnsd (06-12-2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 SQ5 Sport Exhaust