Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Android Auto Wireless on 2021 Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

This may be work a look, from a well known brand, to boot. https://motorolasound.com/audio-prod...droid-auto/ma1
Old 04-07-2022, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Marjorie
AAwireless and Motorola's MA1 both are good products, but you need to pre-order or wait for the sale.

Our company (Smart Box) will release a product that supports both CarPlay and Android Auto (2 in 1) with wired to wireless connection around the 10th of next month. Except wired to wireless connection, it will support Cast and Mirroring as well. Final testing has been completed and production is now in progress. The price will be approximately $130.

If you have recently considered wired to wireless products, please wait for our products, and then make a comparison before your purchase decision. Our products will be fully stocked, no need to pre-order.

So I "need to pre-order or wait for the sale" AND pay a higher price? What differentiates you product enough to pay a premium?
Old 05-16-2022, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Anybody that is buying the Smart-box.. just keep in mind if your Audi has touchscreen or not. My 2018 SQ5 does not and I find the smartbox interface a futile experience without it. Trying to typing using the MMI interface and on screen keyboard just isn't worth the effort.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (05-16-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marjorie
Hi, lakersfreak
your problem is solved by our new updating product the Wireless Box Plus, you can have a look here.

the core issue is that CarPlay is from IOS, and Samsung is from Android. they are from different platform systems.
Originally, the acceptable IOS and Android products will cost around $300 with more functions than those $100 products.
however, our engineer tackled this technical problem and making it cost more affordable.

As a sponsor of the AudiWorld, we offer a great disscount for you for 20%OFF,I have put it below for you.

I bought the unit for the wireless Android Auto (AA) feature. I am using it in a 21 Q8. Several issues with the unit
1. The graphics on the home screen (choose AA or iPhone, mirror, cast, etc.), are not clear - like low def graphics.
2. the display for AA is just like the wired display for AA. The main screen can display song info, app info, etc. The steering display will not display song info. I was provided an update to fix this, then told after I installed the update (and it did not work), that display of info in the steering display is not possible. Essentially, nothing on the market does that.
3. The unit randomly looses GPS. I usually have to unplug /replug the unit to get it to work, or just wait. I have used wired AA in areas where the GPS issue was found and not had issues with wired AA. I have never lost GPS with wired AA.
4. The unit will randomly change the radio as a source back to whatever app I last used in the unit. Unplug/replug usually works.
5. The manufacturer is in China or Hong Kong so communication is usually by email. English is not a primary language.
6. I have asked for return instructions several times; the unit performs as designed per the vendor and returns are not economical.
ajmilan (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had the same issue with my 2021 Q7. Android Auto will only work with a wired connection. Wireless is only available on 2022. There is a after market adapter you can use but I did not go that route.
ajmilan (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 343 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by pesto126
Anybody that is buying the Smart-box.. just keep in mind if your Audi has touchscreen or not. My 2018 SQ5 does not and I find the smartbox interface a futile experience without it. Trying to typing using the MMI interface and on screen keyboard just isn't worth the effort.
You can use the steering wheel controls to summon Google Assistant, and just use that instead of typing things in. Unlike the Audi NAV, you get the power of Google's server farm to understand your requests.

The jog wheel does allow you to navigate around the screen (kind of a pain since it was designed to be touchscreen), but 1000x better than the MMI, Audi NAV, Audi voice recognition, etc.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Recent update for back-up camera adds Wireless Android Auto to 2022 Q5

Title say is all. My wife has a 2021 Q5 Prestige with the Phone Box. After the recent recall update for the back-up camera, wireless Android Auto in now present.
ribeye (01-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Android Auto Wireless on 2021 Q5?