Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Anyone ever purchased those dinky START/STOP eliminators?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to just replace the fuse for it. Has that changed?
Old 03-10-2023, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by edwyun
I used to just replace the fuse for it. Has that changed?
Which fuse? Which car?
Old 03-19-2023, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad I got a discussion going.

Just to update, I picked one off of Amazon and it was a 5 min install, tops. Have not needed to turn that damned thing off since and its been WONDERFUL.

I'll check back in if this thing ever craps out (which very well could be a possibility given the source)
Old 03-19-2023, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for sharing all info . Ordered mine from Amazon as well . Installation took about 5 minutes . Works great - Love it !!! Thanks a lot .
Old 03-19-2023, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
Like I said before, I went the OBD11 route as I did not want to make any changes to the wiring in my car. I did it once and it stayed for 3 years. It worked first time every time. But, I always keep my climate control on. Not because of the coding, I just never found a reason to turn it off.
Do what your feel comfortable with.
The OBD11 route only works if you keep your HVAC on. As soon as you turn off your HVAC off it reverts. That's a half-assed solution. The inline dongles aren't "messing with the wiring", they are plug-and-play and require no splicing or modifications.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I never understood obd11, by the time you buy their dongle, subscription and credits, you are paying as much or more than VCDS.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 309 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain_B
The OBD11 route only works if you keep your HVAC on. As soon as you turn off your HVAC off it reverts. That's a half-assed solution. The inline dongles aren't "messing with the wiring", they are plug-and-play and require no splicing or modifications.
I had my audi for 4 years, 3 1/2 of them I used the ODB11 to keep my stop start off. Maybe because I live in Florida, I never turn off my ac, but it kept my start stop from comming on for those 3 1/2 years. Back then, the only other way to do it was to splice in a device and I did not want to do that to a new car. If they had the plug and play, I would probably do that today. The stop start was the only thing I ever did with my ODB11, so for me it was a one time $80 dollar charge to shut the damn thing off. I would have paid three times that. In my new car, a simple plastic bread tie shoved under the stop start switch keeps it turned off all the time. No charge! I have since trimmed down the tie so you don't see it.

Old 05-30-2023, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the cable from Amazon last wk. About $25. And installed it in about 10 min. It sure made a happy camper out of me!!
Old 05-31-2023, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought one off Amazon about a month ago. It came with the removal keys. The only tricky part was depressing the tab to release the connector. It works well, and remembers the last setting. When I now go into the gas consumption menu, it says that the AC is on regardless. I guess that is the way it tricks the car...
Old 06-07-2023, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain_B
I don't think this is true. On my 2018 the VAG coding tricks the system to think the AC is on so the auto start/stop never kicks in. My system is always on auto for the climate controls. I'm in CO, so the AC is hardly on year round.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever purchased those dinky START/STOP eliminators?