Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Anyone tempted by new RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5
Acura is no where near the driving experience or the interior technology of Audi. The apples to apples comparison here is the RDX to the Q5. I'll take a Q5 any day.
This....
I've owned several Acura sedans in the past. Fit/finish/reliability is second to none (it is a Honda product, so no surprise there). But, it is FWD (SHAWD is still front biased with rear assist) which gives it a heavy feeling with a lot of understeer. You typically don't find the latest and greatest tech on the Acura line since they spend more time ensuring it's right, but you will get a solid vehicle.

If you are looking for a sporty and better handling ride, Audi or BMW for the win. I was in the Lexus dealership (they do RWD with front assist for AWD so it would drive better), and the salesguy did a "Umm.. yeh… Our Lexus vs your SQ5 would be like downgrading to driving a shipping cart".
Old 06-19-2018, 11:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I don't think it looks sporty. A Jaguar F Pace or Macan are sporty, the RDX on the other hand is just a busy mishmash of perplexing geometry typical of modern Japanese car design. And the interior, it's just fugly.

I came from a Lexus IS 350, but it was the previous generation before they introduced the spindle grill and screwed up the design IMO. Not a big fan of the new Lexus design language, and I think Acura has been struggling in this area for a while. Even the new Hyundai Tucson looks better than the RDX.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by NeonMidnight
Personally I don't think it looks sporty. A Jaguar F Pace or Macan are sporty, the RDX on the other hand is just a busy mishmash of perplexing geometry typical of modern Japanese car design. And the interior, it's just fugly.

I came from a Lexus IS 350, but it was the previous generation before they introduced the spindle grill and screwed up the design IMO. Not a big fan of the new Lexus design language, and I think Acura has been struggling in this area for a while. Even the new Hyundai Tucson looks better than the RDX.
Yeah, "too sporty" is not a very satisfying description to relate how it looks to me. Maybe "too athletic" looking is a more apt way of putting it But "fugly" works too..
Old 06-20-2018, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've been into Honda Motors products since 1994. For other than trucks, they've been a "no brainer" go to for us through our most recent purchase in 2013. All good things, however, usually must come to an end. Honda's audio system quality deteriorated to really poor and, likewise, their nav systems seem to be based on 1999 tech. Acura's owner satisfaction and reliability ratings appear to have been been slipping significantly over the last few years, corresponding inversely with Audi's rise. Still reluctant to give up on the brand, in no small measure due to lower routine maintenance and repair costs and especailly given we have a an excellent, trusted, brand specific indie mech shop at hand we decided to wait for the 2019 RDX before getting serious about replacing wife's '09 Civic Si with the compact SUV she now wants.

What a disappointment the new RDX appears to us. The exterior alone is a blinding display of line cue confusion. And then there's the cockpit....apparently designed to resemble that of a spaceship's by a committee of designers none of whom have ever seen one....buttons, switches, ****, and touchpad everywhere in an apparently disfunctional and unintuitive array....with a center console asthetic that could drive me to just call in sick and go back bed when presented with it on a bad morning. The new drivetrain may or may not work well (it does have some Honda Accord miles on it), but why chance it? We may, in a fit of angst, go look at the new RDX and maybe even drive one but I/we don't really see this going anywhere. Other than all of this stuff, no opinion.

So, we're pretty much bound to going for a Q5 Prestige come later this year or early next. Twenty years ago it would most likely have been an SQ5 but, at though not yet dead but definitely older, that would be for us overkill.

Last edited by ltxi; 06-20-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorta my feelings as well, being an MDX Acura owner for 14 years (250k and runs like the day I bought it). But reviews have been slipping in the last 4-5 years...and like you, I had high hopes for the RDX that were dashed when I saw it in person and test drove it.

Also - like you, don’t know that I could justify buying the SQ5 over my brake recall - delayed delivery Prestige. I’m getting older now and thinking if I was a lot younger than 65 years old (or ‘50-15’ as I prefer), I would go for the SQ5 on a long term holding plan. It’s not like 65 is so old that buying unripened bananas is a risky purchase decision...just that I’m thinking more of a short term investment at this point.

I actually am rooting for the RDX to be a success, and will not gloat over moving over to Audi if it isn’t.

Last edited by jaims; 06-20-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaims
Sorta my feelings as well, being an MDX Acura owner for 14 years (250k and runs like the day I bought it). But reviews have been slipping in the last 4-5 years...and like you, I had high hopes for the RDX that were dashed when I saw it in person and test drove it.

Also - like you, don’t know that I could justify buying the SQ5 over my brake recall - delayed delivery Prestige. I’m getting older now and thinking if I was a lot younger than 65 years old (or ‘50-15’ as I prefer), I would go for the SQ5 on a long term holding plan. It’s not like 65 is so old that buying unripened bananas is a risky purchase decision...just that I’m thinking more of a short term investment at this point.

I actually am rooting for the RDX to be a success, and will not gloat over moving over to Audi if it isn’t.
Yeah, we wish Honda/Audi no ill will either. The brands have been good to us. But, at best, Acura in particular seems to be going a different way/aiming at a different demographic. Wife and I are age average about 65 as well...me 75, her 57. Her last choice of cars, her personal pod '09 Civic Si speaks to her not at all girly approach to cars and performance. I'm, if anything, still even less conservative. But, even discounting the cost premium, the SQ5 is, as noted, now overkill for us.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltxi
Yeah, we wish Honda/Audi no ill will either. The brands have been good to us. But, at best, Acura in particular seems to be going a different way/aiming at a different demographic. Wife and I are age average about 65 as well...me 75, her 57. Her last choice of cars, her personal pod '09 Civic Si speaks to her not at all girly approach to cars and performance. I'm, if anything, still even less conservative. But, even discounting the cost premium, the SQ5 is, as noted, now overkill for us.
fyi, the brake recall is not just for some of the sq5, but also for the q5’s as well.

And me for the price, yes the sq5 is more expensive that the regular q5. But with enough negotiation with your salesperson, you can bring it down by 8% or 9%. Some even got 12% below MSRP.

It it all comes down to personal preference and how much you are willing to spend.

But you should test drive both before making a decision.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You would expect some Honda/ Acura bashing on an Audi forum. Same goes for any other brand that tries to compare with a Q5. But we're one of the few that "downgraded" from a Q to an Acura and have no regrets. The wife does not care about so called driving dynamics ,a high tech ride or badge cachet. Getting her the 2010 Q was always my idea. She just wants to get from A to B with a decent ride. She encourages me to go for a sporty ride and that's why I've had an S5 for years now.

The Honda/ Acura allows me the satisfaction of knowing that I can keep this vehicle, relatively reliable for 250 to 300K miles, with minimal, timely maintenance, and not have to cross my fingers that it will make it. Try that with an Audi, or any European car. Maintenance, parts, repairs, (particularly out of warranty) will keep you on edge. The Acura is primarily built in the U.S. whereas the Q is built in Mexico, although, I presume they're still built to their respective countries standards. (Japan & Germany)

Bottom line, would much prefer keeping a Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, out of warranty for many years versus any European.

Last edited by lmariorod; 06-21-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just read that SQ5's and Q5 are having brake caliper recalls. Some haven't even taken delivery and many still at port.
Stay on top of this. It's a MAJOR safety issue.

Why am I done with Audi versus Acura?...Audi sent us a recall notice of a defective Takata air bag 2 years after we traded the Q5 in 2015, in fact I got another most recently. (Had to make sure it wasn't for my S5) and almost 6 years after purchase.
In contrast, Acura sent us notice of a similar air bag recall within 1 year of ownership and local dealer loaned us a new RDX (no Takata air bag) to use for an entire summer while ours sat awaiting VIN specific new air bag.

Last edited by lmariorod; 06-21-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Just read that SQ5's and Q5 are having brake caliper recalls. Some haven't even taken delivery and many still at port.
Stay on top of this. It's a MAJOR safety issue.

Why am I done with Audi versus Acura?...Audi sent us a recall notice of a defective Takata air bag 2 years after we traded the Q5 in 2015, in fact I got another most recently. (Had to make sure it wasn't for my S5) and almost 6 years after purchase.
In contrast, Acura sent us notice of a similar air bag recall within 1 year of ownership and local dealer loaned us a new RDX (no Takata air bag) to use for an entire summer while ours sat awaiting VIN specific new air bag.
Actually, I never did receive my recall notice from Acura ...might be because I was proactive and used a website that gave car owners info as to whether you had the bad bags or not - then I called and made a service appointment for replacement. (tho this probably would not have kept me off the mailing list).

The service side (loaner cars, etc.) will always be a dealer thing. Plenty of bad dealer reviews for both brands. But nice to see good dealer service reviews.

It's a given that cost of ownership on Acuras will be lower than Audi - and I am speculating here but there are probably more high mileage Acuras on the road than Audis.

Brings up something I have previously read - that with Audi having so many different models, that it could have an impact on QC.

I am new to the Audi forum - so will look for threads and number of posts about Audi owners with well performing high mileage cars that have not drained their wallet to get to that point. I was one of those thankful to have gotten 14 years and 250k out of my MDX - but am not looking for my "to be delivered" Q5 to be a long term holding (will move onto something else - Audi or otherwise - at or near the end of the full warranty period).

Quick Reply: Anyone tempted by new RDX?