Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Transmission Adaptive Learning and Reset

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 391 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Audi Transmission Adaptive Learning and Reset

There is a thread over on Audizine talking about recalibrating the transmission. I found it interesting and found this article describing the technique. In a nutshell:

Audi Transmission ECU Adaption Reset Procedure
  1. Press the gas pedal all the way to the floor.
  2. Turn on ignition but do not start the engine. If your car has Start/Stop press the gas pedal but not press the brake pedal. Only press the START button.
  3. Keep the gas pedal pressed for at least 15 seconds.
  4. Turn off the ignition. Release the gas pedal. Wait a couple of minutes and restart the engine.
  5. Drive your Audi, carefully and allow it to change gears at low RPM for the first 10 minutes.
I haven't found anywhere that confirms our cars have transmission adaptive learning - but I get the impression they all do.

I'm curious if anyone here has tried this on their SQ5 (or previous Audi) and what the result was. Also curious what would be the indications of needing to reset it? Two things make me think of this.

First, I've noticed going down my driveway that the car is holding onto (second?) gear longer than it used to.
Second, when I am testing out my JB4 with WOT - am I impacting the way the car shifts at other times?

I can't seem to find any documentation on this at all. How long does it takes for the transmission to "learn"and is the learning continuous?
The following users liked this post:
spinmar (05-13-2023)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A very similar procedure (nearly word for word) was going round the BMW forums some years ago. It was rubbished by knowledgeable people from BMW and has since died a death. I just wonder if Audi a going through the same.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know about the reset but adaptive learning of the transmission was definitely mentioned by my salesman as we drove the car, its also one reason I drove at lower rpms and more smoothly transmission wise during the break in period. my two cents.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by katzjamr
Don't know about the reset but adaptive learning of the transmission was definitely mentioned by my salesman as we drove the car, its also one reason I drove at lower rpms and more smoothly transmission wise during the break in period. my two cents.
What the salesman said and the placebo effect. A winner. ​​​​​​
Old 01-24-2019, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine seemed to chill out after about 4,000 miles, but that's just from memory. I also stopped using the paddles, I don't think that was helping the situation any. Net.... it did get better.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
There is a thread over on Audizine talking about recalibrating the transmission. I found it interesting and found this article describing the technique. In a nutshell:

Audi Transmission ECU Adaption Reset Procedure
  1. Press the gas pedal all the way to the floor.
  2. Turn on ignition but do not start the engine. If your car has Start/Stop press the gas pedal but not press the brake pedal. Only press the START button.
  3. Keep the gas pedal pressed for at least 15 seconds.
  4. Turn off the ignition. Release the gas pedal. Wait a couple of minutes and restart the engine.
  5. Drive your Audi, carefully and allow it to change gears at low RPM for the first 10 minutes.
I haven't found anywhere that confirms our cars have transmission adaptive learning - but I get the impression they all do.

I'm curious if anyone here has tried this on their SQ5 (or previous Audi) and what the result was. Also curious what would be the indications of needing to reset it? Two things make me think of this.

First, I've noticed going down my driveway that the car is holding onto (second?) gear longer than it used to.
Second, when I am testing out my JB4 with WOT - am I impacting the way the car shifts at other times?

I can't seem to find any documentation on this at all. How long does it takes for the transmission to "learn"and is the learning continuous?
This procedure was used to reset the adaptive transmission learning for all VW/Audi cars years ago, but hasn’t worked for gasoline engines in some time. It still works on the TDI’s.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 391 Likes on 277 Posts

That's the challenge with the internet. So much info, but as years go by, it's hard to know what is out of date. Thank you.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spindlewood
That's the challenge with the internet. So much info, but as years go by, it's hard to know what is out of date. Thank you.
.....and also what is fact and when someone is bored and having a laugh at the forum's expense.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

I have an issue with my car stumbling when I come to a stop (Q5 2018) It has been like that since day 1.
Someone on another forum had a similar problem to mine and was told the dealer did an Audi Transmission Adaptive Learning and Reset .They said it solved their problem
So I googled it and found this forum. I also found another site that seems to be legit that recommends the same thing:.

https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/audi-t...eset-procedure

I see here that most people are skeptical about this procedure. But I will give it a try as it does not cost anything and let you know if it helped. If not, I will once again take it back to the dealer.
I have been told that it is just typical of a dual clutch transmission but I refuse to believe that the stumble would be something designed into a $50,000 + car.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I cannot comment on Audi, but it does work on my BMW 340 using the same ZF8 speed. If I driver around aggressive with the paddles, the BMW gets a shift flare downshifting into 4th. You either have to drive like a grandma for a while for it to relearn and drop shift pressures, or use the adaption reset.

I should add, this will only change harshness of shifts and possible how long it holds gears before shifting. It's not a magic bullet.

Quick Reply: Audi Transmission Adaptive Learning and Reset